Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 13, 2009
3:21:07 PM
View profile
Frustrated with AT&T

Upon moving, I contacted AT&T to have my service moved. When I actually got to a live person, everything went well and he took care of business correctly. After that it was all down hill. The modem was mailed to the wrong city, and my information packets went to the address of someone else with the same last name, and continue to do so even though I have called AT&T to verify that the address they have is correct (and it is). Today I get, in the mail, a coupon from AT&T offering a $50 rebate for moving AT&T with me.... I just have to go to att.com/welcomehome (the site doesn't seem to exist). I have contacted, by phone because there doesn't seem to be any other avenue for contact, 4 times already. I have received no response from anyone. Apart from AT&T techs, I am very disappointed, not that customer service seems to mean anything to anyone other that the techs.

Upon moving, I contacted AT&T to have my service moved. When I actually got to a live person, everything went well and he took care of business correctly. After that it was all down hill. The modem was mailed to the wrong city, and my information packets went to the address of someone else with the same last name, and continue to do so even though I have called AT&T to verify that the address they have is correct (and it is). Today I get, in the mail, a coupon from AT&T offering a $50 rebate for moving AT&T with me.... I just have to go to att.com/welcomehome (the site doesn't seem to exist). I have contacted, by phone because there doesn't seem to be any other avenue for contact, 4 times already. I have received no response from anyone. Apart from AT&T techs, I am very disappointed, not that customer service seems to mean anything to anyone other that the techs.

Frustrated with AT&T

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 10:24:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

I,too am frustrated with ATT. I have had DSL problems since late August and been shuffled from one useless IT person to another. I have been charged $149.00 for services( cleaning up viruses and installing McAfee security) that wasn't performed. The IT person

(Steve) spent about an hour and a half supposedly doing the work,but when I turned my computer on the next day, it was still infected and the security system had not been down-loaded.  Today when I called about the charge,(Phil)  they offered a $50 rebate,refused to transfer my call to a supervisor, then transferred my call to Camping World instead of the department for canceling service...all of this after spending at least 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone... As soon as I can set up service with another company, this will be out of my house!!!!!!

I,too am frustrated with ATT. I have had DSL problems since late August and been shuffled from one useless IT person to another. I have been charged $149.00 for services( cleaning up viruses and installing McAfee security) that wasn't performed. The IT person

(Steve) spent about an hour and a half supposedly doing the work,but when I turned my computer on the next day, it was still infected and the security system had not been down-loaded.  Today when I called about the charge,(Phil)  they offered a $50 rebate,refused to transfer my call to a supervisor, then transferred my call to Camping World instead of the department for canceling service...all of this after spending at least 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone... As soon as I can set up service with another company, this will be out of my house!!!!!!

Re: Frustrated with AT&T

2 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2009 2:34:40 PM
(0)
Employee
Well as much as I hate to say it. Viruses, SPAM, and Malware is part of the internet, and as long as the writers can make money at it, they will keep doing it. It won't matter who or what provides you broadband. Viruses can hit you at any time and don't discriminate just because it's AT&T, Verizon, Hugesnet, Charter or even Comcast.

They figure it about like this, "If you are dumb enough to leave a machine open, and click on this file, then hey I am in!"

If you don't think any of them don't think that above statement, think again. I remember reading an article about a guy that sits at home, collects 85k a year from companies that want him to advertize their services via the malware he infected the machines he's advertising to. He even cleans off old malware and installs fresh malware! Free of charge!

So here's how I look at it: it's using your bandwidth, using your pc, and giving you a pop up ad. While he sits back and collects a check. You get to deal with the hardware problems, and he gets paid.

Sounds bitter don't it? it should!

is it a fault of any one provider? No.
Can you get a virus from any of them? Yes
Well as much as I hate to say it. Viruses, SPAM, and Malware is part of the internet, and as long as the writers can make money at it, they will keep doing it. It won't matter who or what provides you broadband. Viruses can hit you at any time and don't discriminate just because it's AT&T, Verizon, Hugesnet, Charter or even Comcast.

They figure it about like this, "If you are dumb enough to leave a machine open, and click on this file, then hey I am in!"

If you don't think any of them don't think that above statement, think again. I remember reading an article about a guy that sits at home, collects 85k a year from companies that want him to advertize their services via the malware he infected the machines he's advertising to. He even cleans off old malware and installs fresh malware! Free of charge!

So here's how I look at it: it's using your bandwidth, using your pc, and giving you a pop up ad. While he sits back and collects a check. You get to deal with the hardware problems, and he gets paid.

Sounds bitter don't it? it should!

is it a fault of any one provider? No.
Can you get a virus from any of them? Yes
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 12:08:22 AM
(0)
Contributor

It is the responsibility of AT&T if they said they would take care of ridding the virus from the machine.... I am not happy with my past experiences. Have a great day.

It is the responsibility of AT&T if they said they would take care of ridding the virus from the machine.... I am not happy with my past experiences. Have a great day.

4 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 12:11:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

My previous post was directed at the "contributor"..... just to clarify. PS. AT&T is no longer my problem.... I've switched companies.

My previous post was directed at the "contributor"..... just to clarify. PS. AT&T is no longer my problem.... I've switched companies.

5 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 1:38:50 PM
(0)
Employee
Well just like I said, if you think one provider is going to be able to keep your computer clean of viruses, it's just not a reality. Viruses change as much as media changes. If you want to ask a person about malware and the changes and new stuff they put out there ask the creator of spybot search-n-dystroy. he is constantly putting updates out there for his program to clean new spywares off.

Where does he get his updates and information from? the same people who put it out there... The malware writers.
If you think the internet is a flowery place and it's a safe place.... well the hackers and malware writers hope you keep thinking that! The anti-malware and anti-virus writers hope you will change your mind.
Truthfully, any remote removal of a virus is going to be questionable at best. What would happen if the machine lost contact in removing the virus? Remote support won't be able to remove it at that point. I have removed many viruses and spyware that pretty much dystroy the Operating system on the way out. So its a 50% risk at best it won't take out something critical to boot your machine.
Now this $149 you paid, was it through say a 3rd party vendor like best-buy or something of that nature? Some viruses you have to low-level format the hard drive on the PC just to get rid of them! Those viruses usually look for a USB stick to attach themselves to just so they can find a new "home".

Another thought as well some viruses target and disable anti-virus and ant-spyware programs. They also lock you out of the control panel, system information, and other key areas you could use (registry) to make changes. They can also move you from "administrator" to "user" with scripts. So it's a possibility he did install it, the virus detected it, then "unfixed" the solution on the next reboot.

I got hit with that one about a month and a 1/2 ago when "antivirus 2009" made the rounds. Locked this laptop I was working on out of admin rights, Couldn't load up control panel, any antivirus I ran wouldn't load, any anti-malware was just denied, It was pretty much done. It wouldn't even let mcafee connect and update!
Well just like I said, if you think one provider is going to be able to keep your computer clean of viruses, it's just not a reality. Viruses change as much as media changes. If you want to ask a person about malware and the changes and new stuff they put out there ask the creator of spybot search-n-dystroy. he is constantly putting updates out there for his program to clean new spywares off.

Where does he get his updates and information from? the same people who put it out there... The malware writers.
If you think the internet is a flowery place and it's a safe place.... well the hackers and malware writers hope you keep thinking that! The anti-malware and anti-virus writers hope you will change your mind.
Truthfully, any remote removal of a virus is going to be questionable at best. What would happen if the machine lost contact in removing the virus? Remote support won't be able to remove it at that point. I have removed many viruses and spyware that pretty much dystroy the Operating system on the way out. So its a 50% risk at best it won't take out something critical to boot your machine.
Now this $149 you paid, was it through say a 3rd party vendor like best-buy or something of that nature? Some viruses you have to low-level format the hard drive on the PC just to get rid of them! Those viruses usually look for a USB stick to attach themselves to just so they can find a new "home".

Another thought as well some viruses target and disable anti-virus and ant-spyware programs. They also lock you out of the control panel, system information, and other key areas you could use (registry) to make changes. They can also move you from "administrator" to "user" with scripts. So it's a possibility he did install it, the virus detected it, then "unfixed" the solution on the next reboot.

I got hit with that one about a month and a 1/2 ago when "antivirus 2009" made the rounds. Locked this laptop I was working on out of admin rights, Couldn't load up control panel, any antivirus I ran wouldn't load, any anti-malware was just denied, It was pretty much done. It wouldn't even let mcafee connect and update!
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 10:22:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

FRUSTRATION is the new ATT.NET Motto. ATT has hijacked all my browser settings in its attempt to merge with the Yahoo.com servers. The customer service techs are arrogant, ignorant, and hang up on phone calls to them. They do not know how to speak to customers. They Blame the customer for having problems with the broken ATT.NET system What used to be independent separately functioning free email through yahoo.com has been gobbled u p by ATT.net. and there is no way to have a separate yahoo.com email anymore that functions independently of ATT.NET email. Passwords were overwritten by service techs, which created subsequent time out and lock up problems on my ATT account--- whether for Billing, Internet service, or Phone service. There is no separate integrity to any of the ATT.net password menus. They all funnel into one cesspool/ swiss cheese software programmed mess that ATT has forced upon the customer. They also don't understand what the relationship is between Microsoft Outlook and it email servers. They give erroneous port settings and SSL designations, and then blame antivirus software for why their server programming doesn't connect to route emails to the Outlook mail manager software. More than anything else, there is no responsibility for screwing up on ATT's part. The management of ATT has been a shambles ever since they took over from Bellsouth, and continuing on now to the merger of ATT with Yahoo ATT took ownership of SBC Global and Yahoo in California without anywhere near the chaos level that ATT is now imposing on the residents of the Southeast... Georgia specifically for me. The no responsibility and arrogance has to go or ATT as an ISP choice is going to  go. I've not been happy with COMCAST.NET as an internet and phone provider, but they are starting to look pretty good with ATT's screwup persona that it is now touting

FRUSTRATION is the new ATT.NET Motto. ATT has hijacked all my browser settings in its attempt to merge with the Yahoo.com servers. The customer service techs are arrogant, ignorant, and hang up on phone calls to them. They do not know how to speak to customers. They Blame the customer for having problems with the broken ATT.NET system What used to be independent separately functioning free email through yahoo.com has been gobbled u p by ATT.net. and there is no way to have a separate yahoo.com email anymore that functions independently of ATT.NET email. Passwords were overwritten by service techs, which created subsequent time out and lock up problems on my ATT account--- whether for Billing, Internet service, or Phone service. There is no separate integrity to any of the ATT.net password menus. They all funnel into one cesspool/ swiss cheese software programmed mess that ATT has forced upon the customer. They also don't understand what the relationship is between Microsoft Outlook and it email servers. They give erroneous port settings and SSL designations, and then blame antivirus software for why their server programming doesn't connect to route emails to the Outlook mail manager software. More than anything else, there is no responsibility for screwing up on ATT's part. The management of ATT has been a shambles ever since they took over from Bellsouth, and continuing on now to the merger of ATT with Yahoo ATT took ownership of SBC Global and Yahoo in California without anywhere near the chaos level that ATT is now imposing on the residents of the Southeast... Georgia specifically for me. The no responsibility and arrogance has to go or ATT as an ISP choice is going to  go. I've not been happy with COMCAST.NET as an internet and phone provider, but they are starting to look pretty good with ATT's screwup persona that it is now touting

7 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 8:21:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just like the others on this forum, if I would have read this before hand I would not be an AT&T customer. After finally agreeing with he AT&T sales people who have come in my neighborhood making door-to-door sales calls I finally agreed to try the uverse service. I scheduled a day off an was told they would show up between 9 and 11. Close to 11 the installer finally showed up... about 15 minutes later he informed me the uverse signal was not strong enough and that another install would follow up in a couple hours... as he was leaving I noticed the phone stopped working as well as my internet connection... a couple hours later a second person showed up and went out back, took apart the hub and then said the first guy would return and complete the installation... about three hours later I called AT&T to see when the first guy would return and was informed he would not be returning because the signal was not strong enough.. I was then offered the opportunity to stay home and have another person come to my house to fix the configurate. Advice to others before you waste your time trying to call AT&T and going through,. what seems like an endless series of menus that then puts you on hold for 20-30 minutes constantly reminding you how important your call is to them... explore your options.

Just like the others on this forum, if I would have read this before hand I would not be an AT&T customer. After finally agreeing with he AT&T sales people who have come in my neighborhood making door-to-door sales calls I finally agreed to try the uverse service. I scheduled a day off an was told they would show up between 9 and 11. Close to 11 the installer finally showed up... about 15 minutes later he informed me the uverse signal was not strong enough and that another install would follow up in a couple hours... as he was leaving I noticed the phone stopped working as well as my internet connection... a couple hours later a second person showed up and went out back, took apart the hub and then said the first guy would return and complete the installation... about three hours later I called AT&T to see when the first guy would return and was informed he would not be returning because the signal was not strong enough.. I was then offered the opportunity to stay home and have another person come to my house to fix the configurate. Advice to others before you waste your time trying to call AT&T and going through,. what seems like an endless series of menus that then puts you on hold for 20-30 minutes constantly reminding you how important your call is to them... explore your options.

8 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2009 11:04:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
Has anyone ever been contacted by AT&T regarding these emailed frustrations or complaints? I'll bet there is no one from this company that even reads these emails. I would suggest that they start paying attention or the company will go by the way of another Federal Bailout! You know who's pockets that money comes out of.
Has anyone ever been contacted by AT&T regarding these emailed frustrations or complaints? I'll bet there is no one from this company that even reads these emails. I would suggest that they start paying attention or the company will go by the way of another Federal Bailout! You know who's pockets that money comes out of.

9 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2009 1:42:56 PM
(0)
Employee

EdRap wrote:

You might try contacting the techs over at utalk.att.com I believe matt and company read over there frequently.

EdRap wrote:

You might try contacting the techs over at utalk.att.com I believe matt and company read over there frequently.

10 of 13 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2009 3:45:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau ; the FCC and your State Utilities Commission.

Good luck

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau ; the FCC and your State Utilities Commission.

Good luck

11 of 13 (524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 11:31:29 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Moved for better exposure

Falso anuncio de ATT

12 of 13 (421 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 11:44:13 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Re: Falso anuncio de ATT

13 of 13 (420 Views)