Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jul 31, 2010
4:33:39 PM
Extreme bandwidth problems

I have the DSL Elite speed package which advertises 6.0Mbps download speeds. Since opening my account I have always had decent speeds (4-5Mbps), but that all changed about a week ago.  Now for some reason I cannot get over 2Mbps on speed tests.  A tech has already been to my house and "changed things out" at some junction box near my house, I have replaced my modem and every cable in my house and the problem still exists.  I have been on the phone for approximately 8 hours with tech support over the last week and no one can figure out the problem. 

The oddest part is that my modem actually shows the connection as 6016Kbps which is correct, but something is throttling it back to under 2.0 and sometimes to about 500Kbps.  There is only one computer hooked up to the modem and I even switched that out for another one to rule out the computer itself.

Any ideas?

I have the DSL Elite speed package which advertises 6.0Mbps download speeds. Since opening my account I have always had decent speeds (4-5Mbps), but that all changed about a week ago.  Now for some reason I cannot get over 2Mbps on speed tests.  A tech has already been to my house and "changed things out" at some junction box near my house, I have replaced my modem and every cable in my house and the problem still exists.  I have been on the phone for approximately 8 hours with tech support over the last week and no one can figure out the problem. 

The oddest part is that my modem actually shows the connection as 6016Kbps which is correct, but something is throttling it back to under 2.0 and sometimes to about 500Kbps.  There is only one computer hooked up to the modem and I even switched that out for another one to rule out the computer itself.

Any ideas?

Extreme bandwidth problems

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 9:35:20 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello mybandwidth,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing  slow speed issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Since engineer has already checked your AT&T DSL line and found no issues with it, I would suggest you contact AT&T tier 2 voice technical helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 and troubleshoot according to their recommendation. If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line and will help you accordingly. When you call to speak to an agent, please ask to be transferred to our second level of support. They will perform advanced troubleshooting steps with yo to resolve this issue.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello mybandwidth,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing  slow speed issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Since engineer has already checked your AT&T DSL line and found no issues with it, I would suggest you contact AT&T tier 2 voice technical helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 and troubleshoot according to their recommendation. If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line and will help you accordingly. When you call to speak to an agent, please ask to be transferred to our second level of support. They will perform advanced troubleshooting steps with yo to resolve this issue.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Extreme bandwidth problems

2 of 2 (218 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments