Posted May 9, 2012
12:26:32 PM
Ethernet light out on DSL modem only when DSL connected to PC not through a router

I haven't been able to connect to the internet in 4 days.  I first noticed the problem when my PC was hooked up through the modem and router.  All 4 lights on the Motorola 2010-02 modem were solid green, yet I couldn't connect to the internet.  And yes, I've unplugged and rebooted everything a dozen times, and in the proper order.  

I took the router out of the equation by hooking up the modem directly to my PC.  After doing this, I get 3 solid green lights, but the Ethernet light is out.  I've tried 2 different Ethernet cables to make sure the problem isn't with the cable.  It seems something isn't communicating between the modem and PC via the Ethernet cable.  An AT&T rep suggested I needed a new modem, but this seems unlikely considering that I had all 4 lights solid green with the router.  Any ideas??

I haven't been able to connect to the internet in 4 days.  I first noticed the problem when my PC was hooked up through the modem and router.  All 4 lights on the Motorola 2010-02 modem were solid green, yet I couldn't connect to the internet.  And yes, I've unplugged and rebooted everything a dozen times, and in the proper order.  

I took the router out of the equation by hooking up the modem directly to my PC.  After doing this, I get 3 solid green lights, but the Ethernet light is out.  I've tried 2 different Ethernet cables to make sure the problem isn't with the cable.  It seems something isn't communicating between the modem and PC via the Ethernet cable.  An AT&T rep suggested I needed a new modem, but this seems unlikely considering that I had all 4 lights solid green with the router.  Any ideas??

Ethernet light out on DSL modem only when DSL connected to PC not through a router

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 7:27:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I tried going to the command prompt and typing ipconfig to check on the IP addresses, but all I get is Media state...media disconnected.

I tried going to the command prompt and typing ipconfig to check on the IP addresses, but all I get is Media state...media disconnected.

Re: Ethernet light out on DSL modem only when DSL connected to PC not through a router

2 of 4 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:31:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Although in my experience it's rather rare, I did read a post out here written by someone who actually had a network ethernet controller go out...!  If you don't think you need a new modem, that leaves just the ethernet controller as a possible suspect--since when directly connected to your ethernet port your modem shows no ethernet connection.

if you have other machines on your network, this is easy enough to test as you won't be able to join the network if your e controller is dead.  Alternatively, it could be the modem, as the technician suggested. 

Also, some motherboards come standard with two ethernet controllers on board, so of course you want to make sure, if that's your case, that you are trying the correct (active) ethernet controller.

Last thing: Try turning off your firewall (windows) and connecting your box to the modem directly.  I'm assuming here with these suggestions (which leaves important details out) that you more or less know your way around in terms of settings and configurations, etc.

Although in my experience it's rather rare, I did read a post out here written by someone who actually had a network ethernet controller go out...!  If you don't think you need a new modem, that leaves just the ethernet controller as a possible suspect--since when directly connected to your ethernet port your modem shows no ethernet connection.

if you have other machines on your network, this is easy enough to test as you won't be able to join the network if your e controller is dead.  Alternatively, it could be the modem, as the technician suggested. 

Also, some motherboards come standard with two ethernet controllers on board, so of course you want to make sure, if that's your case, that you are trying the correct (active) ethernet controller.

Last thing: Try turning off your firewall (windows) and connecting your box to the modem directly.  I'm assuming here with these suggestions (which leaves important details out) that you more or less know your way around in terms of settings and configurations, etc.

Re: Ethernet light out on DSL modem only when DSL connected to PC not through a router

3 of 4 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 7:09:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi waltc,

Thanks for responding!  Unfortunately, I have only 1 NIC, and I have already tried turning off the firewall.  I suspect you are right about the ethernet controller being out.  I don't have another computer, but I think I will have a friend test their machine with my modem to make sure.  In any case, I will probably need to call in a professional for confirmation and to replace the ethernet controller on my laptop, assuming that is the culprit.  

Hi waltc,

Thanks for responding!  Unfortunately, I have only 1 NIC, and I have already tried turning off the firewall.  I suspect you are right about the ethernet controller being out.  I don't have another computer, but I think I will have a friend test their machine with my modem to make sure.  In any case, I will probably need to call in a professional for confirmation and to replace the ethernet controller on my laptop, assuming that is the culprit.  

4 of 4 (850 Views)