Equipment

Contributor

Equipment

I am thinking of upgrading my internet from DSL Lite to one of the next two levels.  Currently I have a modem and a Belkin N Wireless Router and on my desktop a wireless N card.  Also have a laptop that is new I assume that its wireless card is at least an N.

Do I need to upgrade my modem or router to take advantage of the faster speeds available on the 2 levels above my current service?

Message 1 of 7 (390 Views)

Re: Equipment

I recommend running away from ATT as fast as you can. 

Message 2 of 7 (383 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yea, I've been reading all these posts about the speed slowing down at night. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].  I would switch to cable, but my cable is at least twice what ATT cost for the internet.  On top of the cost their service is even worse than what these other people are complaining about with Comcast.  

Message 3 of 7 (380 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. ATT is horrible. There infrastructure is crumbling as fast as there customer service. I am searching for an alternative.

Message 4 of 7 (378 Views)

dmpeac wrote:

I am thinking of upgrading my internet from DSL Lite to one of the next two levels.  Currently I have a modem and a Belkin N Wireless Router and on my desktop a wireless N card.  Also have a laptop that is new I assume that its wireless card is at least an N.

Do I need to upgrade my modem or router to take advantage of the faster speeds available on the 2 levels above my current service?

Your existing equipment will work just fine. You should not have to do anything with your setup as the speed change takes place on AT&T's end of the connection. The real question is whether they can actually provide the increase in speed reliably. Sometimes sales will up your speed and your line can't handle it and you end up with worse than you started with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 7 (366 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  When you stated the wiring would not handle the upgrade did you mean my internal house wiring or the wiring coming in from the street connection to my house?

Message 6 of 7 (358 Views)

Both can cause issues but it's more likely to be outside lines as they're exposed to the elements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 7 of 7 (349 Views)