Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2010
2:04:12 PM
Email bounces! 551 "Not Our Customer" error from "System Administrator"
I've been using Outlook to send email through Bellsouth.net for 12 years with no problem. Today, 2/20/2009, suddenly I try to email anyone outside of Bellsouth.net and it bounces almost instantly. As soon as I hit send, about 3 seconds later I get a bounce email fromm "System administrator" that says this: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 2/20/2010 4:36 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'xxxxxxx' on 2/20/2010 4:36 PM 551 not our customer Well that's a darn strange error message, "not our customer". I have never seen that before. But numerous other people here are reporting this too. I called Bellsouth tech support, and their automated message said there were network issues in my area and they don't know when it will be fixed, then it hangs up on you, so this must be major. They were not specific as to whether this has anything to do with email, but I'm sure it's not my fault or any virus on my PC. Now when I try to send, I get timeout errors on the SMTP server, so my guess is AT&T is having issues with ports on their system, some people are ok, others like me are having problems getting through.
I've been using Outlook to send email through Bellsouth.net for 12 years with no problem. Today, 2/20/2009, suddenly I try to email anyone outside of Bellsouth.net and it bounces almost instantly. As soon as I hit send, about 3 seconds later I get a bounce email fromm "System administrator" that says this: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 2/20/2010 4:36 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'xxxxxxx' on 2/20/2010 4:36 PM 551 not our customer Well that's a darn strange error message, "not our customer". I have never seen that before. But numerous other people here are reporting this too. I called Bellsouth tech support, and their automated message said there were network issues in my area and they don't know when it will be fixed, then it hangs up on you, so this must be major. They were not specific as to whether this has anything to do with email, but I'm sure it's not my fault or any virus on my PC. Now when I try to send, I get timeout errors on the SMTP server, so my guess is AT&T is having issues with ports on their system, some people are ok, others like me are having problems getting through.

Email bounces! 551 "Not Our Customer" error from "System Administrator"

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 5:13:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
In my case, I have to click Okay on the error message, and then click Send. At this time I have to do this repeatedly an average of 12 times before the message is finally sent. **bleep** frustrating! This has been going on for 2 days...
In my case, I have to click Okay on the error message, and then click Send. At this time I have to do this repeatedly an average of 12 times before the message is finally sent. **bleep** frustrating! This has been going on for 2 days...

Re: Email bounces! 551 "Not Our Customer" error from "System Administrator"

2 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 5:18:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Everyone is having this problem, and bellsouth/yahoo/att/whoever owns the company today doesn't really give a crap. So I doubt we will have an answer anytime soon. They don't seem to want to tell us that this is an known issue as well. Whatever happened to postings about known outages so you dont spend hours on the phone to be told they dont know when it will be fixed?
Everyone is having this problem, and bellsouth/yahoo/att/whoever owns the company today doesn't really give a crap. So I doubt we will have an answer anytime soon. They don't seem to want to tell us that this is an known issue as well. Whatever happened to postings about known outages so you dont spend hours on the phone to be told they dont know when it will be fixed?

3 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 7:43:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Chat support indicates maint is going on, well it has been going on for me all day. Service went whacko when it moved to yahoo base. Check back in 24 hrs was the "support".
Chat support indicates maint is going on, well it has been going on for me all day. Service went whacko when it moved to yahoo base. Check back in 24 hrs was the "support".

4 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 10:02:49 AM
(0)
Tutor
It is a BellSouth error. When they changed to Att some customers still had BellSouth and some had att pop addresses. Their latest update caused the problem. The following changes worked for me. Change your email settings to: Pop server in = mail.bellsouth.net Out= SMTP.att.yahoo.com. Uncheck "Require login using Secure Password Authentication" if it was checked. In Outlook 7, click on "More Settings" to open up the Internet E-mail Settings box. On the "Outgoing Server" tab, check the box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Also, select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server. On advanced tab change in and out port numbers in= 110 out=587 Close that window and click on the "Test Account Settings" This worked for me, hopefully it will help others to get around this problem.
It is a BellSouth error. When they changed to Att some customers still had BellSouth and some had att pop addresses. Their latest update caused the problem. The following changes worked for me. Change your email settings to: Pop server in = mail.bellsouth.net Out= SMTP.att.yahoo.com. Uncheck "Require login using Secure Password Authentication" if it was checked. In Outlook 7, click on "More Settings" to open up the Internet E-mail Settings box. On the "Outgoing Server" tab, check the box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Also, select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server. On advanced tab change in and out port numbers in= 110 out=587 Close that window and click on the "Test Account Settings" This worked for me, hopefully it will help others to get around this problem.

5 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 10:48:58 AM
(0)
Contributor
Christianweb said: The following changes worked for me. .......... I've got a better idea ... Have AT&T fix the **bleep** thing!!!! That or I'm going to get me a new service provider - I hate Time Warner but their service is faster and cheaper! This has been going on since Friday (2/19) - I called then and, of course, they said it was a problem with my configuration. I've called several times since and it's always it will be fixed in 4-6 hours. It is now almost 48 hours since this outage started. What kind of incompetent Bozos work on this e-mail system? And why does support assume that everyone who calls with a problem is an idiot?
Christianweb said: The following changes worked for me. .......... I've got a better idea ... Have AT&T fix the **bleep** thing!!!! That or I'm going to get me a new service provider - I hate Time Warner but their service is faster and cheaper! This has been going on since Friday (2/19) - I called then and, of course, they said it was a problem with my configuration. I've called several times since and it's always it will be fixed in 4-6 hours. It is now almost 48 hours since this outage started. What kind of incompetent Bozos work on this e-mail system? And why does support assume that everyone who calls with a problem is an idiot?

6 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 10:52:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
And I was wondering, do we get any sort of compensation for this "inconvenience"?
And I was wondering, do we get any sort of compensation for this "inconvenience"?

7 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 1:43:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
I still can't send any mail but my error message has now changed to:
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

A sign of progress or a sign of an ever deepening problem?
I still can't send any mail but my error message has now changed to:
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

A sign of progress or a sign of an ever deepening problem?

8 of 9 (3,618 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2010 11:02:49 AM
(1)
Employee
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:37:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

The error message 551 not our customer is a response that came from the AT&T Yahoo! remote e-mail server and it only affects Bellsouth members that are migrated to Yahoo! and are using client e-mail software such as Outlook and Outlook Express.

This issue has already been resolved as of February 22, 2010 12:38:00 PM CST. If you cannot still send e-mail, please make sure that you use the following server settings:

Incoming Server: pop.att.yahoo.com;
SSL: Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com;
Port: 465
Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box is checked.

Otherwise, you may contact our AT&T eChat help desk for further assistance by clicking the link below.

DSL Support Chat

Hi Everyone,

The error message 551 not our customer is a response that came from the AT&T Yahoo! remote e-mail server and it only affects Bellsouth members that are migrated to Yahoo! and are using client e-mail software such as Outlook and Outlook Express.

This issue has already been resolved as of February 22, 2010 12:38:00 PM CST. If you cannot still send e-mail, please make sure that you use the following server settings:

Incoming Server: pop.att.yahoo.com;
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com;
Port: 465
Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box is checked.

Otherwise, you may contact our AT&T eChat help desk for further assistance by clicking the link below.

DSL Support Chat

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (3,618 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments