Posted Nov 8, 2010
7:16:53 AM
View profile
Email address added to my account, that I did not do!
Edited by mbetty76 on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:38:54 AM

Yesterday morning I received an email, stating there was an email address added to my account. I did not do this, and have never seen this other email address. I then received a failure notice email, that I did not send. I then logged into my account and deleted the email address that was added. I then received an email, this morning from a jarmila, stating that I am a ({word filter evasion}) I am furious and want something done! I can find no way to make a formal complaint, regarding this abusive email. This obviously is a hacked issues and not a spam issue. Please help me!

(FIRST EMAIL)

The following was added to your account:
{Personal content removed for your safety}

Does something look odd?
If the changes described above are accurate, no further action is needed. If anything doesn't look right, follow the link below to make changes:
https://edit.yahoo.com/commchannel/manage?ar=2&ea=KYhKd_2P6O5893MLg96Egc4831DCATOOaroFGhcG5tCbpPkjyD_NHMN8dUa6dpUBPUzzahWp7DKz2I561o0Yh8Kt4u56V_UfVgtbrbH3TTnjW7JQYBd1iIAH&done=https%3A%2F%2Fedit.yahoo.com%2Fconfig%2Feval_profile

If you did not initiate this change, please sign in to your AT&T Yahoo! Account and verify your account information by clicking the "My Account" link at the top of the page.

You can use the email address(es) in your AT&T Yahoo! Account to reset your password. To ensure that your account information remains accurate and secure we notify you whenever this information changes.

Your email address was added to the att.net ID starting with 'mbe'. If this att.net ID does not belong to you, or you did not recently add your email address to this att.net ID, you may permanently stop receiving messages for this att.net ID at this email address. Please visit the following link:
https://edit.yahoo.com/commchannel/disavow?p=r8DgGG3hZwfEIO.bHdAJhj9zYp75.Fcxe03V.BtO.A5cnHSRd5BxPiHhvksGf0UBQ4ABf6k_PXgjzdf4&intl=us

Regards,
AT&T Yahoo! Account Services
This change request was made on November 07, 2010 at 01:38pm UTC.

(SECOND EMAIL)

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 RUSR No such user: {Personal content removed for your safety}[RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [98.139.91.63] by nm14.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 07 Nov 2010 13:54:14 -0000
Received: from [98.139.91.2] by tm3.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 07 Nov 2010 13:54:14 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1002.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 07 Nov 2010 13:54:14 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 849852.29527.bm@omp1002.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
Received: (qmail 42117 invoked by uid 60001); 7 Nov 2010 13:54:14 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=att.net; s=s1024; t=1289138054; bh=ZXyI4GBuD5k1kp9nVyJRYp8rpmPPG/7ZViGDI3WUBb8=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:smileyvery-happy:ate:From:smileyfrustrated:ubject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=yYB2if7xbRpfQr6w29cnDFWPOGhHxWYnNrqdCzagywSA9SHRds8DygvTk/EVuALiJPaaUR8g+l4yONHN+LkEYlsFrLRogOSn5TRYblGtVc+UsUdrHuBXY29tOFlFVyHPMreKmj0r1AZiFBw4EoWpq0CyyGPzuvwvXuur8uoRqRs=
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
  s=s1024; d=att.net;
  h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:smileyvery-happy:ate:From:smileyfrustrated:ubject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
  b=fcmXGe0c373Km50z+wpyrmS/jGfXPkCHavTnCeqPagr8MlCEXpFc21jPUSQQtpBNaGzdrRsYJD4K1i5XGtTZfTkDY6S9IbEmQf6NT7mIisUotsibMOsFVEjrCc3igm0fkNx549r58FqSveKRbIZu0ZIX5V051v4gQtZ76iNs0rU=;
Message-ID: <438137.40916.qm@web180814.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
X-YMail-OSG: Jk9QKvsVM1nObX5mCqZExmfQt6dgMovQzvi9TCIHh5V1_X4
 lf_10iDNU50a7UtJ.s71Fz4K2wFLUaVMbxPJ2bjEyycPObI9FtmS9j3xN3vm
 q6wLcoocFEbZ9aDncFWpNzHOlSknOSaiuzWr9utJkQXs2UBA2z_EEnHOavuK
 pok5qyzuJ0W9Geef2bVUdk20JsEP_NgFkrvKQvHdqhvhPsMjseYvYD.iBFYC
 G.nKTfIvo.b1UlhbfwUjD4g0_BXRt5QXltx8kUGelRf1zQYqRJPhTo37TVJM
 GsQ--
Received: from [74.115.1.49] by web180814.mail.gq1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sun, 07 Nov 2010 05:54:14 PST
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/11.4.9 YahooMailWebService/0.8.107.284920
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 05:54:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Melissa McConnell {Personal content removed for your safety}
Subject: Unfortunate Vacation...!!!!Jarmila Kovacikova
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1912174237-1289138054=:40916"

--0-1912174237-1289138054=:40916
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,

Just writing to let you know our trip to London, England =0Ahas been a mess=
. I was having a great time until last night when we=A0 got=0A mugged and l=
ost all my cash,credit card cellphone It has been a scary =0Aexperience, I =
was hit at the back of my neck with a=A0 club. Anyway...... =0AI'm still al=
ive and that's whats important. I'm financially strapped =0Aright now and n=
eed your help. I need=A0 you to loan me some $$, I'll =0Arefund it to you a=
s soon as i arrive home.Write me back so i can tell =0Ayou how to get it to=
 me.

Love.
Jarmila....
--0-1912174237-1289138054=:40916
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<table cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0" ><tr><td valign=3D"=
top" style=3D"font: inherit;"><b>Hi,<br><br>Just writing to let you know ou=
r trip to London, England =0Ahas been a mess. I was having a great time unt=
il last night when we&nbsp; got=0A mugged and lost all my cash,credit card =
cellphone It has been a scary =0Aexperience, I was hit at the back of my ne=
ck with a&nbsp; club. Anyway...... =0AI'm still alive and that's whats impo=
rtant. I'm financially strapped =0Aright now and need your help. I need&nbs=
p; you to loan me some $$, I'll =0Arefund it to you as soon as i arrive hom=
e.Write me back so i can tell =0Ayou how to get it to me.<br><br>Love.<br>J=
armila....</b></td></tr></table>
--0-1912174237-1289138054=:40916--

(THIRD EMAIL RECIEVED)

YOU'RE A {word filter evasion}
how dare you send this kind of e-mail to all my contacts.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Melissa McConnell {Personal content removed for your safety}
Sent: Sun, November 7, 2010 7:54:14 AM
Subject: Unfortunate Vacation...!!!!Jarmila Kovacikova

Hi,

Just writing to let you know our trip to London, England has been a mess. I was having a great time until last night when we  got mugged and lost all my cash,credit card cellphone It has been a scary experience, I was hit at the back of my neck with a  club. Anyway...... I'm still alive and that's whats important. I'm financially strapped right now and need your help. I need  you to loan me some $$, I'll refund it to you as soon as i arrive home.Write me back so i can tell you how to get it to me.

Love.
Jarmila....

Email address added to my account, that I did not do!

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 5:42:41 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

Hello  mbetty76,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

It seems that your computer has been infected by a malware. Malware is a harmful software that could damage your system. It includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, and other malicious and unwanted software.

The worm/virus works by sending various messages to entice users to click on a link on a particular e-mail message. Clicking on the said link downloads a copy of the worm onto message recipients' computers. Upon download, it then gathers e-mail addresses saved on the recipient's computer and sends itself out to all of those addresses.

I would suggest you to immediately run a full system scan with the security software installed in your computer.

VirusScan's advanced detection and protection services defend you and your computer from the latest security threats, including viruses, trojans, tracking cookies, malware, spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs. Protection extends beyond the files and folders and on your desktop, targeting threats from different points of entry including e-mail, instant messages, and the Web.

Also remember to change the password of your email accounts, if you are unable to access your AT&T Yahoo! email account, please contact AT&T eChat support, they will help you to change the password of your AT&T Yahoo! email account. 

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Re: Email address added to my account, that I did not do!

2 of 3 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 10:20:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Penny-

Are you sure about your answer?  A Trojan/virus is an easy answer, but I have seen this happen to friends and a few hours ago to myself on an sbcglobal.net account where it appears that every e-mail account in my address book and e-mail buffer received a spam e-mail in a block mailing of 6 or 8 addresses at a time.  I routinely scan my computer with updated McAfee and Malwarebytes and am finding nothing.  Every system I check my e-mail from is clean and checked every few days.  I have told friends to check their system after a similar report, and those scans have come up clean.  If there is something there, it is smarter than these common detection tools.    

From what I can tell, the suspect e-mails in my case are sent from a Mexican address (that is from header information - I do not live in Mexico, I live in Texas).  It would really be helpful if I could locate a human being to try to lock any subsequent e-mails down from that IP address as I do not want to answer a few hundred responses and now cannot send a mass notice as the system blocks that e-mail (it would be useful if the system shut down outgoing e-mails prior to this notice, as the e-mails appear to have transmitted without incident judging from the mailing errors I received back).  My guess is my account may be hacked, so I changed my e-mail password.   

I am willing to work with a technical assistant there (or if you are a volunteer, please forward this to a warm body at AT&T), but as this phenomenon is not new, it would be helpful if the AT&T support site put out a notice on this problem with something more helpful than "run a virus scan" as that is not a complete solution (if it is, a list of actual Trojans/viruses that cause this problem would be appreciated as that reflects that the problem has been diagnosed and can be corrected). 

Also, is there a way of telling if an e-mail account is active in more than one location?  If something is transmitting e-mails from an account, I expect there may be a source of account information that might generate IP addresses that are currently signed on.  If you know your current IP address, you could then go about killing other IP addresses that are not valid. 

Sorry to come across as irritated, but this is not how I intended to spend my night before Christmas, and I would like to find a more appropriate solution for the DSL dollars I spend every month.  This is a problem I have heard previously from people I actually know (and not ones I e-mail from this account), and given this post from 8 weeks ago I am guessing this is not a new phenomenon.  I can give you the e-mail details from the kick-backs and will happily work through the problem with you, but it is high time we lock this down so others do not have to answer to people in their address book who they had no intention of contacting as I now must do. 

Thanks,

Mike Gorman

Re: Email address added to my account, that I did not do!

3 of 3 (1,432 Views)