E-mail scam/phishing attempt

Contributor

E-mail scam/phishing attempt

In checking my e-mail today (5-15-12) I came across this e-mail:

att.com | Support | My AT&T Account Rethink Possible
Your wireless bill is ready to view
Dear Customer,

Your monthly wireless bill for your account is now available online.

Total Balance Due: $1812.69

Log in to myAT&T to view your bill and make a payment. Or register now to manage your account online. By dialing *PAY (*729) from your wireless phone, you can check your balance or make a payment - it's free.

Smartphone users: download the free app to manage your account anywhere, anytime.

Thank you,
AT&T Online Services
att.com

Contact Us
AT&T Support - quick & easy support is available 24/7.

Find us on Facebook   Talk to us on twitter   AT&T Community
Get Peace of Mind

Set up secure AutoPay from your checking account.

Learn more
Go Paperless

Save time, money and the environment.

Learn more
Online Deals!

Shop the Best Deals in your area for Phone, TV, Internet and Wireless.

Learn more
Device Tutorials
Information specific about your phone
Smart Controls
Block calls, set mobile purchase limits, manage usage, and more
Payment Arrangements
Explore your options for arranging a payment plan
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE  
Š2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. Subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. provide products and services under the AT&T brand.
Privacy Policy

As you can see it LOOKS like a regular bill notification. Do not click on it as it is a virus itself. Plus, I am in the process of checking to see what kind of hidden security issue may also be involved. I have worked on Computers for over 20 years and owned a Computer Store for 7 years. So, anything I post can be trusted to be in your best interest.
Thank You and always be alert!
Message 1 of 3 (1,277 Views)
Community Manager

Re: E-mail scam/phishing attempt

Welcome Motorhedd and thank you for sharing.  We also offer additional information on how to protect against Phishing attempts here.

Regards,

Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 2 of 3 (1,225 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: E-mail scam/phishing attempt

I got this 6-4-2012. As usual, you merely have to right click on a link, then click on "properties," to see that the link does NOT go to AT&T. This is the surest way to find out an email is a scam that should be deleted.

Message 3 of 3 (1,141 Views)