Dsl Disconnects are me off

Tutor

Dsl Disconnects are me off

[ Edited ]

Is there anyway to get this intermittent connection fixed? I mean this has been going on all year, if there was another carrier out here I would have been gone long ago. I call tech support and they walk me thru the same test everytime, send out a tech and guess what, we cannot find the problem. Internet seems ok for couple of days and we start process over again. Just today I called and spoke with a tech and they claim to have found something wrong and was getting ready to set up an appointment, then I lost the call and I then recalled the tech dept again only this time everything was ok, no need for a tech to come out. I am open to suggestions my modem is a Motorpla Netopia 3347 running on and Windows XP pc.

Subject edited: {word filter evasion}

Message 1 of 6 (402 Views)
Teacher

Re: Dsl Disconnects are me off

Hi Gossy23, 

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced and thank you for using AT&T Technical Support forums. 

Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

- Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

- Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.

- Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.

- Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

- Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

- The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

- DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.

- Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

- The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to post your reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk.

You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL;

and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

You can also contact us through chat at the following links.For CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. - https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

For KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL - https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions," you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. That will help other users find this information too!
Message 2 of 6 (338 Views)
Tutor

I appreciate the reply, however all of these steps have been taking. I have had several techs, around 10-15, come out and none of them know what's wrong. Lines from my pc all the way to the Dslam, supposedly, have been changed. All they come up with is that I have a distance issue. I have neighbors on same plan as I am,who are 50-100 yards further away and they have no problems. Even my inside wiring has been changed to no avail. Just FYI, I was next door and on my neighbors phone with whom I share the same box at the road with and their phone had so much static on it, I could barely hear the dial tone.

Message 3 of 6 (321 Views)
Contributor

Gossy23, Are you in a rual area? Or outside a major city? If so I understand your frustration. I recently had an issue with dsl sychornization on my line. I ran all the possible test I could run and found that I am running 100% of signal coming from the Central Office (CO). I had techs out and run through all the remote testing procedures and when I got the tech out there he was very helpful to confirm what I suspected. The signal I was trying to get was 6 megs and running 100% of that signal and caused errors which losses DSL link. This happened for about a week and then after I filtered my phones outside, dedicated a line to just the modem it seem fine for now. But also found that running that high of a signal i will experince problems and my next step is to drop down to a 3 meg service to stabalize my signal where I am able to hold a good one instead of error all over the place. I hope this helps cause I did all the test before I called and reading a script is fine for some and fixes some of the issues, even placing a batch file to stabalize siome errors might work but in all it does not and extra steps need to be taken.

Message 4 of 6 (302 Views)
Tutor

I hear you. In Croswell, MI I have been experiencing the same issues. DSL comes and goes intermittently!   AT&T refusses to fix the problem. Also, on the modem when the DSL signal is Low we get a flassing red DSL light on the DSL Modem. The worse this is that this failure is very intermittent.

Message 5 of 6 (289 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Yes I live any a rural area, and yes this is a line dedicated strictly for my dsl service. I have tried with filters and without and it doesn`t seem to matter much with the connection. Like one tech told me, "I guess your just {word filter evasion}."

Message 6 of 6 (230 Views)