Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2010
8:30:03 PM
View profile
Disappointed in my DSL Service
I tried to send AT&T an email via the "contact us" section of the website, but that actually takes one to a screen that simply directs you to FAQs, not contacting. That itself is pretty disappointing and should be addressed by AT&T support.

I am very frustrated. My wife and I live in Sugar Hill, GA (just outside of Atlanta). The fastest DSL service available to us is 3M (which we have). When we moved in, we received pretty darn close to 3M. Our service has steadily degraded over the last two years, to where now we get about 1M during evenings. Presently, the AT&T speed test tool says I am getting 705k. I have a feeling that our problem is that we were one of the first in our neighborhood and now that it is almost completely populated, we are suffering from not enough capacity.

What we really want is a much faster internet speed - our local cable provider is offering 20M to our house, but I have been an AT&T customer for almost a decade including my business cell phone and my wife's cell. A faster connection speed will become very important shortly, as my wife's employer is beginning to encourage employees to work from home occasionally.

I am very tempted to swap providers, but am interesting in what AT&T's expansion plans. Is U-verse or at least 6M coming to our area any time soon?

If not, then I believe that I need to switch providers. Thanks.

Note - I tried downloading the AT&T support tool. Unfortunately it asks for my "AT&T account email" which I'm sure I received years ago when I became a customer but do not have handy now. We've tried connecting directly to the mode, and have rebooted both our router and modem. These results are very consistent. Both of us cannot be on VPN at the same time, and she cannot log onto her corporate VPN while I am playing online games without both of us receiving very poor service.
I tried to send AT&T an email via the "contact us" section of the website, but that actually takes one to a screen that simply directs you to FAQs, not contacting. That itself is pretty disappointing and should be addressed by AT&T support.

I am very frustrated. My wife and I live in Sugar Hill, GA (just outside of Atlanta). The fastest DSL service available to us is 3M (which we have). When we moved in, we received pretty darn close to 3M. Our service has steadily degraded over the last two years, to where now we get about 1M during evenings. Presently, the AT&T speed test tool says I am getting 705k. I have a feeling that our problem is that we were one of the first in our neighborhood and now that it is almost completely populated, we are suffering from not enough capacity.

What we really want is a much faster internet speed - our local cable provider is offering 20M to our house, but I have been an AT&T customer for almost a decade including my business cell phone and my wife's cell. A faster connection speed will become very important shortly, as my wife's employer is beginning to encourage employees to work from home occasionally.

I am very tempted to swap providers, but am interesting in what AT&T's expansion plans. Is U-verse or at least 6M coming to our area any time soon?

Note - I tried downloading the AT&T support tool. Unfortunately it asks for my "AT&T account email" which I'm sure I received years ago when I became a customer but do not have handy now. We've tried connecting directly to the mode, and have rebooted both our router and modem. These results are very consistent. Both of us cannot be on VPN at the same time, and she cannot log onto her corporate VPN while I am playing online games without both of us receiving very poor service.

Disappointed in my DSL Service

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2010 10:57:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Given my experience with AT&T today, I would recommend changing. I too am a loyal ATT customer with 2 phone lines, 3 wireless phones and, DSL. but, I can't get a simple answer to an FAQ that did not seem to work for me. Chat support forwarded me to 'Web Shared Services' which was totally wrong. They were nice and help get me back to DSL and stayed on the line as long as needed. DSL service passed me to second line service which gave me long complicated instructions over the phone. I asked for an email example of what he was saving. He told me that he could not send me an email - that he did not have email access to customers. I flipped, a support organization that can't send email. I called back to see about getting an email address to complain to. The lady tried to help but, she could not find one for me to send to. She first tried to direct me to a FAQ page that had 'contact via email'. But, this says that email support is no longer available. Attention! In an ongoing effort to provide quick and efficient technical support, the "Email us" option is no longer available for High Speed Internet (DSL) or Dial technical assistance. We will continue to offer 24/7 technical support with online chat and phone support. She then forwarded me to http://www.att.net/feedback. But, from what I can tell this is more feedback on yahoo not AT&T services. Loyalty needs to be two ways. AT&T is outsourcing support and is no longer interested in the support that they offer us (thus lack of way to contact them). I don't see why we need to continue showing them loyalty by buying their products (I won't say services - as I don't see it).
Given my experience with AT&T today, I would recommend changing. I too am a loyal ATT customer with 2 phone lines, 3 wireless phones and, DSL. but, I can't get a simple answer to an FAQ that did not seem to work for me. Chat support forwarded me to 'Web Shared Services' which was totally wrong. They were nice and help get me back to DSL and stayed on the line as long as needed. DSL service passed me to second line service which gave me long complicated instructions over the phone. I asked for an email example of what he was saving. He told me that he could not send me an email - that he did not have email access to customers. I flipped, a support organization that can't send email. I called back to see about getting an email address to complain to. The lady tried to help but, she could not find one for me to send to. She first tried to direct me to a FAQ page that had 'contact via email'. But, this says that email support is no longer available. Attention! In an ongoing effort to provide quick and efficient technical support, the "Email us" option is no longer available for High Speed Internet (DSL) or Dial technical assistance. We will continue to offer 24/7 technical support with online chat and phone support. She then forwarded me to http://www.att.net/feedback. But, from what I can tell this is more feedback on yahoo not AT&T services. Loyalty needs to be two ways. AT&T is outsourcing support and is no longer interested in the support that they offer us (thus lack of way to contact them). I don't see why we need to continue showing them loyalty by buying their products (I won't say services - as I don't see it).

Re: Disappointed in my DSL Service

2 of 4 (266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2010 3:13:14 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi aggieknight!

We are sorry you're not satisfied with your current speed package. We'd really like you to have a faster AT&T speed service, either the 6Mbps or U-Verse, as an option. However, there are lots of things AT&T needs to consider, technically and strategically, before provisioning an area with higher speed packages. Getting in touch with the AT&T Sales Team will provide you with recent updates and developments about the 6Mbps or U-Verse internet service.

We regret to inform you that the "Contact Us" section of the website directs customers to the FAQs page instead of the Email Support which had long been disabled. You may always reach an AT&T support person via eChat or phone to receive a quick and efficient assistance.

To contact the AT&T eChat Help Desk, you may click on the following link:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Contact # for Consumer Sales (DSL)
888.321.2375, from the prompt choose Sales.

Contact # for U-verse / Lightspeed

Sales Hours of Operation for Center
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Hi aggieknight!

We are sorry you're not satisfied with your current speed package. We'd really like you to have a faster AT&T speed service, either the 6Mbps or U-Verse, as an option. However, there are lots of things AT&T needs to consider, technically and strategically, before provisioning an area with higher speed packages. Getting in touch with the AT&T Sales Team will provide you with recent updates and developments about the 6Mbps or U-Verse internet service.

We regret to inform you that the "Contact Us" section of the website directs customers to the FAQs page instead of the Email Support which had long been disabled. You may always reach an AT&T support person via eChat or phone to receive a quick and efficient assistance.

To contact the AT&T eChat Help Desk, you may click on the following link:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Contact # for Consumer Sales (DSL)
888.321.2375, from the prompt choose Sales.

Contact # for U-verse / Lightspeed

Sales Hours of Operation for Center
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2010 6:26:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

aggieknight wrote:

Hi aggieknight! I'm so glad that I found you that a loyal customer of AT&T. I understand that the longer we stay on a service, most of the times the speed we are getting is downgrading. We as an AT&T customers, must take to consideration the effort that AT&T gives to us. A lot of improvements and maintenance were done to develop and give us a world class service, however like other ISP there are some lapses and expectations not met. But as far as AT&T, I would say it is still the best company. Not only because of the various products that they offer but also of their lot of customer supports who are customer oriented (of corz not all), very knowledgable and very professional to deal with. Let's continue to support AT&T! God Bless us!

aggieknight wrote:

Hi aggieknight! I'm so glad that I found you that a loyal customer of AT&T. I understand that the longer we stay on a service, most of the times the speed we are getting is downgrading. We as an AT&T customers, must take to consideration the effort that AT&T gives to us. A lot of improvements and maintenance were done to develop and give us a world class service, however like other ISP there are some lapses and expectations not met. But as far as AT&T, I would say it is still the best company. Not only because of the various products that they offer but also of their lot of customer supports who are customer oriented (of corz not all), very knowledgable and very professional to deal with. Let's continue to support AT&T! God Bless us!

4 of 4 (266 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments