DSL having intermittent connection issues

Contributor

DSL having intermittent connection issues

I've had AT&T DSL home service for almost a year now and have been mostly happy with it.  Ovr the last two months, however, the sevice has suddenly become less reliable.  When things remain connected, speeds are good and everything works.  Then, without anything changing on my end, the service will suddenly be unable to locate any web sites.  I'm talking about sites like google and facebook.  Sites that are almost always up.  When this connection drops, no sites can be found.  Then, suddenly, everything connects again and works fine...until the next drop.  These dropouts have become more and more frequent and more and more irritating.

I have reset my modem and router repeatedly and have checked out all the wiring both from the wall to my computer and router and within the home itself.  Everything checks out fine.  Please don't tell me to cycle my modem and move EMF generating electronics away from the equipment.  I can read the other posts on this subject and see that this isn't an isolated problem.  It would be my guess that it has something to do with Uverse upgrades in my area as I see the AT&T trucks on my street daily. 

I don't need apologies or cut and paste repsonses.  I just need the service to work reliably.  I was considering Uverse.  I'm reconsidering now.

Message 1 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Contributor

Re: DSL having intermittent connection issues

Fed up with ATT connection (or lack of)!  Its inconsistency of speed and/or connection at all is intolerable.  We had been bellsouth subscribers for many years with great service.  When we moved to a new home in a great neighborhood in FEB2009, we were forced to change everything to ATT.  There have been nothing but issues with the service for this entire time.  The ONLY thing that has kept us strung along is the promise of Uverse becoming available "any day" ......for 16 months!  It has been available 2 streets away for over a year.

Lately the connection speed has so slow that it sometimes takes 5 minutes just to open the home page.  I took my laptop to the office and connected to the wireless and got immediate connections so I know it is not my computer.  I just did a speed test through speakeasy.net. It shows a download speed of 0.45mbps and an upload of speed of 0.09 ! ! ! !

I was also just told by an ATT tech rep that we must be on the edge of a service area so there is probably nothing that can be done to improve the situation.  THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ANYONE WITH ATT HAS SHARED THIS INFORMATION!  We have been paying for the fastest service for 16 months and receiving less than dial-up speed service.  WE NEED A REFUND!

I will now be researching to see which provider can guarantee the fastest service at  our specific address.  I am over ATT lack of ability to properly provide decent service speed.  Will probably do away with the landline phone as well.

Message 2 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Employee

Hello freakengine,

If you have performed all the troubleshooting to avoid intermittent connection issue and if everything is fine at your premise (no EMI devices are effecting the AT&T DSL connection), please contact AT&T technical support advisor at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation. If require they will run a test on your AT&T DSL line and will escalated further.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Former Moderator

Dear DisatisfiedATT,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with our service. With regard to your issue about the connection, we have to check on your DSL line since slow speeds are caused by a lot of factors. It could be an internal connections issue like defective filters, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)or issues with the network itself. We also need to consider if your line is connected to the correct ports for your speed plan and also your location since the farther you are to our DSL box the slower the speed you would be getting. Still it would be best if you would contact our technical support team since they would be able to contact our network engineers who have the tools to further check our issue and provide the best resolution for this. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. Just select the option for technical support and I would advise calling not later that 11:00 pm EST since your network engineers team would be closed by that time.

On DSL technical supports end, we don't have much information as to when the AT&T uverse service would be available. It would be best to contact our sales department to check for updates and see if they have a time frame for the uverse availability for your area. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. Just choose the option for sales and they are open from Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 7:00 pm EST. On Saturday they are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and are closed on Sundays and Holidays. Our sales representatives would be happy to provide you with the information you need.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 4 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Contributor

are you kidding me??? The technical expert you get at that 877 number can barely speak english and asks the same questions everytime....a script...they dont listen or assimulate..it is maddening....what has happened to the number one telephony company in the world??? Horrible that you try to blame everything under the sun for the "intermittent" connection problems but your crumby product and pathetic "customer service"...please!

Message 5 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Highlighted

pjcag is spot on with this one.

Message 6 of 6 (3,168 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.