Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 23, 2011
11:31:42 PM
DSL connection problems in Nevada.
For the past month I've had issues with my dsl connection. I've had this same internet for 5+ years. I have two modems, one wired into my ps3 & the other to my home computer. I have to unplug one to use the other but that's not an issue. Lately I keep losing my connection.
My service will work great for awhile, then (on weekends it seems) I have issues. My modem DSL light flashes red and won't connect. After alittle bit of time it will connect but the speed is slow then it drops. Some time I can't get a connection period.
I've reset both modems and nothing. Replaced the inside wiring..nothing. I've called at&t for help, but get nowhere. They are more worried about selling me something else instead of helping with what I got.
I have friends who live less than 1 mile away, the exact same internet as me, but they have NO problems. Very frustrating. I'm a big online game player and tired of getting kicked in the middle of games. I've read a lot of forums on here and a lot of people seem to have the same issue. I don't get it and am getting tired of it. I live in rural Nevada, so internet choices are slim.
Is there any hope or should I give up?
For the past month I've had issues with my dsl connection. I've had this same internet for 5+ years. I have two modems, one wired into my ps3 & the other to my home computer. I have to unplug one to use the other but that's not an issue. Lately I keep losing my connection.
My service will work great for awhile, then (on weekends it seems) I have issues. My modem DSL light flashes red and won't connect. After alittle bit of time it will connect but the speed is slow then it drops. Some time I can't get a connection period.
I've reset both modems and nothing. Replaced the inside wiring..nothing. I've called at&t for help, but get nowhere. They are more worried about selling me something else instead of helping with what I got.
I have friends who live less than 1 mile away, the exact same internet as me, but they have NO problems. Very frustrating. I'm a big online game player and tired of getting kicked in the middle of games. I've read a lot of forums on here and a lot of people seem to have the same issue. I don't get it and am getting tired of it. I live in rural Nevada, so internet choices are slim.
Is there any hope or should I give up?

DSL connection problems in Nevada.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 3:32:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
So, finally got an At&t tech to come to my house yesterday. He checked all the lines and connections. He ran tests and, of course, found nothing wrong. We checked the internet and it was working fine while he was here. It worked fine during the rest of the day, so I believed he must have done something to fix the problem. I woke up today and attempted to log into my computer and guess what? No internet yet again! The dsl light keeps flashing. My modem test says the dsl line is down. I have had it. Done with At&t. I've had the same internet for over 5 years. Same connections. No issues till now. I have friends who live not even a 1/4 mile away, same internet and NO issues. How can a tech say nothing is wrong? How can they tell me to download and run a speed test when I HAVE NO INTERNET? Highly disappointed. Customer service has gone down hill. I'm at a lost & will have have to start looking for another provider.
So, finally got an At&t tech to come to my house yesterday. He checked all the lines and connections. He ran tests and, of course, found nothing wrong. We checked the internet and it was working fine while he was here. It worked fine during the rest of the day, so I believed he must have done something to fix the problem. I woke up today and attempted to log into my computer and guess what? No internet yet again! The dsl light keeps flashing. My modem test says the dsl line is down. I have had it. Done with At&t. I've had the same internet for over 5 years. Same connections. No issues till now. I have friends who live not even a 1/4 mile away, same internet and NO issues. How can a tech say nothing is wrong? How can they tell me to download and run a speed test when I HAVE NO INTERNET? Highly disappointed. Customer service has gone down hill. I'm at a lost & will have have to start looking for another provider.

Re: DSL connection problems in Nevada.

2 of 9 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

3 of 9 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 12:32:15 AM
(0)
Tutor
Two weeks since the tech has come & nothing was found wrong. And I'm still having connection issues. DSL light on the modem flashes. Now sometimes all the lights are green, but when I try the internet, its omg slow then it disconnects & lights flash. Sometimes the internet light is red. Use to only be during the day & fine at night. Not the case anymore.Yet according to at&t customer service & a tech nothing is wrong. The tech was a nice guy. Actually lives in my town & provided me his cell # & said call anytime if problems continue. Well I did. And to my surprise, no reply. I see so many people on these forums having the same issues & getting no help from at&t. As long as the monthly subscription fees keep coming in, why should they care. Living in a rural area, I don't have any other choice except at&t. But, I might as well cancel my account & use the internet on my Verizon cell phone. Which has been more reliable in the last 2 months & where I've had to do most my internet from. At my wits end.
Two weeks since the tech has come & nothing was found wrong. And I'm still having connection issues. DSL light on the modem flashes. Now sometimes all the lights are green, but when I try the internet, its omg slow then it disconnects & lights flash. Sometimes the internet light is red. Use to only be during the day & fine at night. Not the case anymore.Yet according to at&t customer service & a tech nothing is wrong. The tech was a nice guy. Actually lives in my town & provided me his cell # & said call anytime if problems continue. Well I did. And to my surprise, no reply. I see so many people on these forums having the same issues & getting no help from at&t. As long as the monthly subscription fees keep coming in, why should they care. Living in a rural area, I don't have any other choice except at&t. But, I might as well cancel my account & use the internet on my Verizon cell phone. Which has been more reliable in the last 2 months & where I've had to do most my internet from. At my wits end.

4 of 9 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 2:32:23 AM
(0)
Expert

Did you send a PM to Alex by clicking on the link (under his name)?  He is an ATT employee who can find someone to help you, specific to your case.

Did you send a PM to Alex by clicking on the link (under his name)?  He is an ATT employee who can find someone to help you, specific to your case.

5 of 9 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 7:56:23 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Thanks spd2demun!

@cdspring - Sorry to hear about the trouble.  I received your PM today and replied.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Thanks spd2demun!

@cdspring - Sorry to hear about the trouble.  I received your PM today and replied.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 3:05:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:14:25 AM

2 weeks since tech came and still having the same issues, that seem to be getting worse. Call at&t and had tech over again today. Same tech who came last time. I was trying to get online 30 minutes before he came and couldn't. Dsl light flashing and so on. He arrives, hooks his laptop to the outside box and says everything is ok. Before I blew my top, he came inside to check all my connections, and guess what? All lights on the modem green. We got online and ran a speed test. Showed the fastest speeds I've seen in a long time. Was able to surf without losing connection. No problems. Was happy, but extremely {word filter evasion} at the same time. I knew as soon as the tech left, it would go back to the issues I was having. Had no problems after he left...for about an hour. Kept losing connection and having to reset the modem. Later that night dsl light kept flashing & I wasn't able to get any connection. Go flippin figure! Tech says everything checks ok...really? If OK is sporadic connection for a few minutes at a time, followed by complete loss of connection...then ok. Is this what I pay for?! Guess I'll call at&t again, have the same tech come over a third time to tell me nothing is wrong...other than that, I am at a loss.

2 weeks since tech came and still having the same issues, that seem to be getting worse. Call at&t and had tech over again today. Same tech who came last time. I was trying to get online 30 minutes before he came and couldn't. Dsl light flashing and so on. He arrives, hooks his laptop to the outside box and says everything is ok. Before I blew my top, he came inside to check all my connections, and guess what? All lights on the modem green. We got online and ran a speed test. Showed the fastest speeds I've seen in a long time. Was able to surf without losing connection. No problems. Was happy, but extremely {word filter evasion} at the same time. I knew as soon as the tech left, it would go back to the issues I was having. Had no problems after he left...for about an hour. Kept losing connection and having to reset the modem. Later that night dsl light kept flashing & I wasn't able to get any connection. Go flippin figure! Tech says everything checks ok...really? If OK is sporadic connection for a few minutes at a time, followed by complete loss of connection...then ok. Is this what I pay for?! Guess I'll call at&t again, have the same tech come over a third time to tell me nothing is wrong...other than that, I am at a loss.

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 11:54:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
The tech who came to my house yesterday said to keep a written log of what is going on with my connection issues & to call at&t tech support and request he come back if problems continue. After my 4th page of issues, I called at&t. Got transfered 3 times by support in India before they finally found my account and then transferred me to tech support in my state. Explained to the tech the situation and asked for the tech to come back to my home. For whatever reason, this was too hard for him to understand. So we did the at&t shuffle again. He asked me to check connections and so on. He ran a line test and said there was a problem. 3rd time I've been told that..He had me unplug modem and reboot. Got online and did a speed test, which showed great speeds. Surfed the web for a few minutes while the tech stayed on the phone. He ran another line test & said that the problem resolved itself. Great I thought, but this was the third time it happened so my hopes weren't high. He then tried to sell me Universe service and a support plan...really? The service I have now hasn't worked right for the last 2 1/5 months. Let's get that working before I even think of anything else. Told him no thanks and thanks for the help & that they most likely hear back from me.
Internet worked great. Surfed fast, no issues...for a whole 2 hours. Right back to the same issues I've had for almost 3 months. 3 over the phone techs who find something wrong with the line test, but it "resolved" itself. 2 home visits from the same tech who found nothing wrong. I sooo tired of this. The frustration is not worth it. So, one last time I will call tomorrow. I will nicely as I can request the issue be fixed. If not, I'm done. Last call will be to cancel my account. Stay tuned....Smiley Happy
The tech who came to my house yesterday said to keep a written log of what is going on with my connection issues & to call at&t tech support and request he come back if problems continue. After my 4th page of issues, I called at&t. Got transfered 3 times by support in India before they finally found my account and then transferred me to tech support in my state. Explained to the tech the situation and asked for the tech to come back to my home. For whatever reason, this was too hard for him to understand. So we did the at&t shuffle again. He asked me to check connections and so on. He ran a line test and said there was a problem. 3rd time I've been told that..He had me unplug modem and reboot. Got online and did a speed test, which showed great speeds. Surfed the web for a few minutes while the tech stayed on the phone. He ran another line test & said that the problem resolved itself. Great I thought, but this was the third time it happened so my hopes weren't high. He then tried to sell me Universe service and a support plan...really? The service I have now hasn't worked right for the last 2 1/5 months. Let's get that working before I even think of anything else. Told him no thanks and thanks for the help & that they most likely hear back from me.
Internet worked great. Surfed fast, no issues...for a whole 2 hours. Right back to the same issues I've had for almost 3 months. 3 over the phone techs who find something wrong with the line test, but it "resolved" itself. 2 home visits from the same tech who found nothing wrong. I sooo tired of this. The frustration is not worth it. So, one last time I will call tomorrow. I will nicely as I can request the issue be fixed. If not, I'm done. Last call will be to cancel my account. Stay tuned....Smiley Happy

8 of 9 (326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 3:33:10 AM
(0)
Expert

I think after all of this, you need to contact David--he'll need all of your log entries you've been keeping.Smiley Happy

You can contact David here.

(Note--Even though his contact info is showing for Uverse, he also handles DSL and is on the Internet/DSL forum as well.)

I think after all of this, you need to contact David--he'll need all of your log entries you've been keeping.Smiley Happy

You can contact David here.

(Note--Even though his contact info is showing for Uverse, he also handles DSL and is on the Internet/DSL forum as well.)

9 of 9 (324 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments