Ask a question

Posted Jul 3, 2010
    10:29:05 AM
    View profile
    DSL Woes

I have had ATT DSL high speed internet service for more than 6 years. Lately I have had so many connection problems (intermittent disconnection and slow speed). These issues have been going on for more than 6 months. I changed the modem and router with out any improvement in the above issues. I bougth a new AT and T branded Modem in Feb 2010 at Best Buy and still have the same problem. Everytime I call the tech support they make me powercycle the modem and also run line checks. Then the tech support indicates that the lines are intact and do not have a plausible explanaion for what the problem is. I suspect that they know what the issue is but keep giving me false answers. Today I called the tech support at 1-877-722-3755. I told them that it appears that th modem is defective and since it is within the warranty period of one year, asked to replae it. Initially they tell me that the warranty has expired in 2002. I asked them how can a modem manufactureed in April 2008 ran out of warranty in 2002? Then the tech says that I should go to Best Buy and return the modem since I bough it there. I told them the warranty card inside the modem box indicates that I have up to one year to seek replacement and it has the above phone number to contact. Note that this modem box is branded as AT and T and not in the name of the manufacturer. Also the waranty card inside the box is of AT and T and not of the manufacturer. The tech support tried to stone wall me with different answers. [Edit per Community Guidelines] Then I was connected to another person and he again gives me vague reasurances and transfers me to the ?store. But I have been on hold for eternity with music piping and occasional message that all representatives are busy. I was not given a number to call in case I got disconnected. As of this I have been on the phone for one hour. The ATT DSL customer service lacks ability to live up to their promises given in writin I have all the documents including the receipt, original packaging (box and warranty card) and the ticket number of the contacts with ATT. *personal information removed for safety*

DSL Woes

7 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (7)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 10:44:31 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Just an update-I am still on hold (one hour and fifteen minutes), I have a suspicion that they put me on aphantom line because I threatened action. I am sure that this thread will be removed or moved to a place where it will be difficult to find. I will print and keep this thread.

Re: DSL Woes

2 of 8 (985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2010 10:49:31 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Finally I hung up the phone with no resolution to the issue. This is not the first time I have had to endure poor service from ATT. Do they believe that the customers like me will go away and it will be good riddance?

3 of 8 (985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 5, 2010 9:10:48 AM
    (0)
    AT&T Internet Expert

Hello ATTSvcks,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

The modem that you have purchased from Best Buy can only be replaced from them (Best Buy). Hence, if you think the modem that you purchased from Best Buy in Feb 2010, is now faulty, I would suggest you to contact Best Buy and ask them for the replacement.

However, after replacing the modem/router if the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem. Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
        * Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
        * Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
        * Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
        * Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
        * The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
        * DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
        * Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
        * The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the intermittent connection issue persist, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T voice technical help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation, if require they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and will do the needful for you accordingly.

4 of 8 (985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 7, 2010 8:45:04 AM
    (0)
    Moved to billing board.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
    in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

5 of 8 (985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2010 2:49:47 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I can sympathize with you.  My problems were like yours.    I had to deal with tech support for 6 weeks, $114 and $194.  Finally the last tech told me to change an address under internet options.  So far internet has been working fine for a week.  That is the longest it has worked in 6 weeks.  Twice I was told to move my fax-phone to another location (which I did not do).  After so many years that item has decided to conflict with internet?  I am now qualified to do what they do, Troubleshoot  (lol).  Still trying to get my money back.

6 of 8 (985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 24, 2010 6:30:27 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

OK, I can relate to many of these posts... For the last 3 weeks, my latest and greatest AT&T high speed DSL modem and 3000 to 6000 kbs promise has been losing the DSL signal from the modem.  That thing looks like a Christmas Tree... Green solid, Green blinking, Red blinking etc.  I spent 4 hours last night waiting on Cust Service.  I have all of the AT&T self service software which I used to test every **bleep** piece of equipment and network connection I have, which are not very many.  My system went from good to disconnected in 30 seconds.  Don't fool yourself, unless you live 50 feet from the central phone station, you will never get even close to 6000 kbs/sec broadband unless they installed a booster in your neighborhood!..  The fastest download speed I have recorded from the same bandwidth testing URL has been 3400, most of the time, ~  3000. That's their promise though.. from 3000 to 6000. for the extra $15 per month.  Anyway, I spent 40 min waiting and 20 min talking only to find out I didn't live in the right State for the number that was on my screen to call....Soooo I called the number they gave me...another 30 min wait period... Went through all of the testing again..which I had done with their software 10 times already.  Finally, it all boiled down to that De-Coupled Password move and the tech gave me a new password for my 2 wire AT&T DSL Modem.  After him giving me a bad password the first time, and after putting in the new password, I connected to the internet.  I have been without any problems and then with NO connections for 2 months with the same Modem and Settings?  Well guess what, about 30 minutes ago, the same thing happened with my modem etc.  If I get this typed out and I get to send it will be a miracle. The Tech promised me that if I experienced the same trouble again, all of our conversations and problems would be logged on their computers and they would send me a new modem!  Well I guess we will find out about that soon, since the evil snake has raised his head again!  I'll keep you informed!

7 of 8 (985 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 8, 2010 9:12:14 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Yes ATTSvcks,  I was on hold, disconnected twice and then told after a 48 minute wait on tech chat to call another number for help.  I was told my Motorola 2210 has documented issues so I was sent a second modem which is failing as the first.   I guess I'll send both back.  Check and see if you have a 2210.

Comcast which has horrific customer service inherited from Adephia nationwide, has a much faster and generalliy reliable line.   I would advise you to keep the lowest service DSL for your email addresses if they are valuable and use another service for more reliability.   My DSL has been down for a week and its easier to seek a more reliable alternative instead of waiting or whining about it.    I love the home phone service but DSL is what it is.

8 of 8 (985 Views)