I recently lost my DSL connection and have been on the phone with tech support for the past hour. They were very helpful but not able to solve the problem. They gave me a case # and pushed it up to tier II support. All the lights on the modem are doing what they are supposed to be, but it is just not connecting. I attempted to install the DSL software and modem on my wife's laptop, but the CD would not install correctly. I kept getting a message "debug file was not loaded". However, it did let me threw eventually, but when it checked for a connection it said it did not have one. HOW CAN I GET A COPY OF THE DSL INSTALLATION CD ? IS there a place I can download it ? It may be the modem (gateway 2 wire). I am getting fed up with that modem as well. They always last just over a year and they go out. I'm on my 3rd modem in 3 1/2 years... PLEASE HELP !!!!!!
are you using a winXP or winVista computer? btw, there is no need to use the installation CD to connect to the internet. it is not necessary. you can manually setup the 2Wire to connect to the internet.
just have the computer directly plugged in to the 2Wire modem via the ethernet cable. if you are using a 2Wire 2701HG-B device, make sure that the PWR-ENET-DSL lights are all solid green. ignore the status of the wireless and internet lights.
then pull up a browser, type 192.168.1.254 on the address bar. it should pull up the 2Wire's graphical interface. if 192.168.1.254 does not work, try typing gateway.2wire.net or homeportal on the address bar.
then run the system setup wizard to configure the 2Wire to connect to the internet.
once you are at the 2Wire's website, just run the setup wizard.
1. Click on 'Run System Setup Wizard' link at the bottom-right corner of the screen. (Note: It might ask you for the 2Wire System Password. That is the password you created for this 2Wire modem when you first got it. If you cannot remember the password, just click on 'Forgot Password' link and hopefully it will give the hint for the 2Wire password. If still unsuccessful, it will ask you to input the 10-digit code enclosed by brackets found underneath the 2Wire modem to create a new 2Wire System Password. The 2Wire System Password and your AT&T email password are two different kinds of passwords, do not confuse them.)
2. Once you are able to successfully get inside the 2wire, you will see the 2wire Key Code Page (522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV). Do not change anything. Just keep clicking 'Next' until you get to the 'Connection Information Page'.
3. From that page, make sure that the Username/UserID box contains your complete AT&T email address (ex. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org etc.). Enter your AT&T EMail Password in the 'Password' and 'Confirm Password' boxes.
4. Then click on 'Next'. It will then connect your 2Wire to the AT&T Server with your email and password.
5. Then just click 'Exit/Finish' on the 'Welcome to Product Registration' Page. You should be able to surf the internet after a successful authentication to the server.
see if you can go online after these steps. hope this helps!