DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day

Contributor

DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day

I have had ATT DSL for probably about 6 months now after switching from Time Warner Cable. Since the very first day I have had disconnects *multiple* times each day. The DSL light flashes red and the modem goes through the whole reset process. I often also have to refresh web pages multiple times in order for them to appear. Additionally, I often see web pages that say something like "connection problem reset, close and open your browser." I am so sick and tired of my DSL service. I have had a technician come out who said everything looked great and that my modem was a newer model. My speed is about half of what I pay for (3 Mb download and I pay for 6 Mb download). I live in a building with old phone lines, so it's probably the phone lines that need to be replaced. I live in an apartment building, so I'm not about to pay hundreds of dollars to have people replace lines I don't even own. I switched from Time Warner Cable after I received a call from ATT asking if I wanted to switch and saying that the speed would be "much better" than Time Warner Cable because it's a dedicated line that I don't share. Well guess what? I'd rather share a reliable line that rarely disconnects than have my own dedicated lines that disconnects all day long. This is ridiculous. My ATT wireless service was awful and now my DSL service has been a disappointment. Lesson learned. Good bye ATT.
Message 1 of 37 (28,737 Views)
Employee

Re: DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day

[ Edited ]
Hello njwolf85,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem.
Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
    * Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
    * Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
    * Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
    * Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the intermittent connection issue persist, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk
by clicking the link below. They should be able to perform more troubleshooting for you.

AT&T eChat Help Desk

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Contributor

I am seeing the exact same behavior. The DSL light starts blinking red, then goes back to green. Download speed goes from almost 6MB to 0.5MB. I had DSL through a different carrier for over 4 years with the DSL filters, and all the same phones. My problems started about the same time as the date on this message 4/1/2010. And..it is fine most of the day and starts acting up in the evening. I would guess ATT is having some kind of service problems????
Message 3 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing with this issue.

I would like to inform you that the speed of the connection depends on many factors like heavy Internet usage or Internet traffic. If there is heavy Internet traffic, the speed will drop accordingly this will also bring the intermittent connection issue on the DSL line. When the Internet usage is low (during off peak hours) the speed will increase. It will never stay at the maximum value.

If you have already tried the steps for the Intermittent connection (steps are mentioned above, in my previous post on the same thread) and issue didn't resolved, then I would request you to also try the steps for the slow speed issue. Steps are mentioned below:

Please, check your current AT&T internet DSL speed via given link and verify your current AT&T DSL internet speed.

However, if the slow speed is occurring with more than one web page, try these steps:

1. Check your computer
    Reboot by turning your computer and modem/router off and then back on again. Simply rebooting solves most connection problems.

2. Check your web browser 

3.Check your connection 

4. Try the AT&T Self Support Tool
    Our
AT&T Self Support Tool detects problems and resolves connection issues.

If the above steps did not improve your connection speed, try these additional steps:

After trying all the steps mentioned above (for Intermittent and Slow speed issue), it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat tech support by clicking the link below.

AT&T eChat Tech Support

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Contributor

AT&T needs to look seriously at this problem on THEIR end, because these multiple, daily DSL disconnects are getting on peoples' nerves. Since I have not altered my (wired) network in any way, and since AT&T is not offering their DSL service free of charge, I think it is reasonable for a customer to expect a connection that is stable - as it had been for the previous 6 years (in my case).

A sample of my modem log:

Thu Apr 15 21:48:35 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : Failed To Get IP Address : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 21:48:35 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 21:48:35 2010 : WARNING : PPP Authorization Failed : Interface - ppp-0

Thu Apr 15 21:48:00 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Thu Apr 15 21:48:00 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Thu Apr 15 21:48:00 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 21:48:00 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 21:48:00 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Thu Apr 15 20:17:37 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Thu Apr 15 20:17:37 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Thu Apr 15 20:17:37 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 20:17:37 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 20:17:37 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Thu Apr 15 20:11:10 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Thu Apr 15 20:11:10 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Thu Apr 15 20:11:10 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 20:11:10 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 20:11:10 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Thu Apr 15 19:47:46 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Thu Apr 15 19:47:46 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Thu Apr 15 19:47:46 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 19:47:46 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Apr 15 19:47:46 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Wed Apr 14 21:17:55 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Wed Apr 14 21:17:55 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Wed Apr 14 21:17:55 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 21:17:55 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 21:17:55 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Wed Apr 14 21:03:09 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Wed Apr 14 21:03:09 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Wed Apr 14 21:03:09 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 21:03:09 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 21:03:09 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Wed Apr 14 20:57:44 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Wed Apr 14 20:57:44 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Wed Apr 14 20:57:44 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 20:57:44 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 20:57:44 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Wed Apr 14 20:56:20 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Wed Apr 14 20:56:20 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Wed Apr 14 20:56:20 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 20:56:20 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Wed Apr 14 20:55:28 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Wed Apr 14 20:55:28 2010 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=35
Wed Apr 14 20:55:28 2010 : WARNING : PPPoE Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 20:55:28 2010 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Wed Apr 14 20:55:28 2010 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0

Message 5 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Employee

Hello mkedsl,

Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you are experiencing due to intermittent connection issue.

This issue would be best resolved if you work hand in hand with a technical support advisor and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.  If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line. Hence, it is recommended that you contact technical support.

Since, you are experiencing intermittent connection issue, please, contact AT&T technical department through voice support at 1-877-722-3755. They are open 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Contributor

Penny, I appreciate your response. Here is my response:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

RESPONSE: I have a phone that is specifically designed not to interfere with wireless modems/routers. Additionally, this behavior occurs even if my laptop is directly connected to the router via an Ethernet cable that is about 4 feet long.

* Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.

RESPONSE: See above. Even in the same room with a wired connection I have the same problem.

* Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.

RESPONSE: Again, I have tried using different channels--each for multiple days, with the same problem each time.

* Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

RESPONSE: Yet again, see above. Ethernet connection, same room as modem/router.

* Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

RESPONSE: I live in an apartment. My phone cord is less than 14 feet. My one phone and DSL modem are connected via a DSL filter to the phone jack. So, if my apartment phone wiring needs to be ripped up, does AT&T really expect that tenants are going to pay (I'm assuming) HUNDREDS of dollars for rewiring a residence that he or she doesn't even own? I'm just going back to Time Warner Cable! I had an issue with them *now and then*. I have issues with AT&T DSL every single day. By the way, I can't even reach tech support chat with either FireFox or IE using the link you provided.

* The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.

* Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

Message 7 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Employee

Hello njwolf85,

I appreciate that you have already checked for all the factors that may effect the DSL line at your premise and if you are still experiencing intermittent connection issue, it is recommended that you contact AT&T technical support and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.

Please, let me know the exact issue that you are experiencing while trying to contact AT&T technical support (through eChat and voice department)?

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Contributor

I have to agree with those posting. I have had At&t DSL service for 4 yrs. It has been actually really good. However, in the past week we have experienced drops and long wait times to access the internet. Last night around 11pm we lost connections. Something is going on with the service and its apparent that the At&t reps in this forum want you to call to get the answer instead of being honest and just saying whats wrong.
Message 9 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Contributor

Wow...could it be that AT&T is migrating people from Worldnet Service to DSL that is causing this issue? The migration has been from 4/5 thru 4/15/2010. Adding more users without addressing bandwith is most likely the issue. Probably happens at night because in other parts of the world people are jumping on computers when most in the USA are heading to sleep. Just a thought? Internet congestion. Add more servers and increase bandwith At&t!!!
Message 10 of 37 (28,707 Views)
Former Moderator

Hi GregRodgers087,

I am sorry that you are experiencing an intermittent connectivity. There are several factors that could cause this issue like electromagnetic and radio frequency interferences, modem/router positioning, physical barriers, physical set up, and filtering among others. However, the migration of AT&T worldnet customers to the new AT&T portal will not contribute to this.

Regarding intermittent connectivity issues, it is best that you contact our voice technical support so they would be able to diagnose your issue properly and do the appropriate troubleshooting steps in order to have your connection back to normal. If a technician will be required to go to your premises to fix the problem, our voice support will also be able to identify if a need arises.

I believe that you already followed the basic troubleshooting as posted on the previous replies, so should you continue to experience this problem, please call our helpdesk for further assistance . You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

Message 11 of 37 (25,597 Views)
Contributor

Same problem here but since March. Seems AT&T needs to check why the servers drop sync so much. But I have resolved my problem. Removed AT&T from my diet and added cable (phone,interenet and TV). And wouldn't you know it have 10 times the speed for the same price and bonus of less hassle.
Message 12 of 37 (25,597 Views)
Contributor

I have had the same issue since upgrading my service to 6mb. I am getting ready to leave att.

Message 13 of 37 (25,597 Views)
Contributor

Update:  I called AT&T and after briefly speaking with a robot (which I don't like for some reason) I was then connected to a support representative somewhere in Asia (come on AT&T, you're raising prices AND outsourcing customer support?).  The line was so noisy, that the person suggested transferring me to a US based rep, which was a VERY good idea.  The US rep ran some test on my line and sent a technician to check things out.  The technician rearranged some cables on the outside, on the inside, and finally replaced my modem.  And guess what?  Everything is back to normal!!!  So, it could have been the cables or my own modem, or both.  I'm willing to split the blame with AT&T 50/50 :smileyhappy:  The bottom line:  My DSL disconnect issue has been taken care of quickly and to my satisfaction, and for that AT&T deserves a praise.

Message 14 of 37 (25,597 Views)
Tutor

I'm done spending hours on the telephone with someone who reads from a paper on how to do their job and figure out my problem. I know how to check my router, unplug it for 5 seconds replug it or reset it which by the way makes my wireless stop working completely. I will have my ITT son in law look at it when he gets the time. If it goes again. I'm getting cable. I'm tired of paying for something I'm not able to use.

Message 15 of 37 (25,597 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.