Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Internet Forum

Posted Apr 1, 2010
7:46:39 PM
View profile
DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day
I have had ATT DSL for probably about 6 months now after switching from Time Warner Cable. Since the very first day I have had disconnects *multiple* times each day. The DSL light flashes red and the modem goes through the whole reset process. I often also have to refresh web pages multiple times in order for them to appear. Additionally, I often see web pages that say something like "connection problem reset, close and open your browser." I am so sick and tired of my DSL service. I have had a technician come out who said everything looked great and that my modem was a newer model. My speed is about half of what I pay for (3 Mb download and I pay for 6 Mb download). I live in a building with old phone lines, so it's probably the phone lines that need to be replaced. I live in an apartment building, so I'm not about to pay hundreds of dollars to have people replace lines I don't even own. I switched from Time Warner Cable after I received a call from ATT asking if I wanted to switch and saying that the speed would be "much better" than Time Warner Cable because it's a dedicated line that I don't share. Well guess what? I'd rather share a reliable line that rarely disconnects than have my own dedicated lines that disconnects all day long. This is ridiculous. My ATT wireless service was awful and now my DSL service has been a disappointment. Lesson learned. Good bye ATT.
I have had ATT DSL for probably about 6 months now after switching from Time Warner Cable. Since the very first day I have had disconnects *multiple* times each day. The DSL light flashes red and the modem goes through the whole reset process. I often also have to refresh web pages multiple times in order for them to appear. Additionally, I often see web pages that say something like "connection problem reset, close and open your browser." I am so sick and tired of my DSL service. I have had a technician come out who said everything looked great and that my modem was a newer model. My speed is about half of what I pay for (3 Mb download and I pay for 6 Mb download). I live in a building with old phone lines, so it's probably the phone lines that need to be replaced. I live in an apartment building, so I'm not about to pay hundreds of dollars to have people replace lines I don't even own. I switched from Time Warner Cable after I received a call from ATT asking if I wanted to switch and saying that the speed would be "much better" than Time Warner Cable because it's a dedicated line that I don't share. Well guess what? I'd rather share a reliable line that rarely disconnects than have my own dedicated lines that disconnects all day long. This is ridiculous. My ATT wireless service was awful and now my DSL service has been a disappointment. Lesson learned. Good bye ATT.

DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day

36 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 1:24:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hi ledmonds,

Your post triggered a report from - Keep it spam-free - from years back.  The poster would lose dsl in the evenings, randomly until around 11PM to midnight.  Not every night and not always the same time period.

One evening, he heard his neighbors leaving and his DSL quit working!  He stayed on the computer, offline, for a couple more hours then heard his neighbors returning.  Within minutes, the DSL hooked up stolid!  Since the neighbors had just gotten home, he went next door and asked what they had done when they got home.

The problem was a "noisy" light dimmer that they always turned on low when they went out in the evenings!!  The static was conducted through the house wiring (he was in a duplex) and caused the modem to drop sync.

Now, in his case, he would lose the sync light as the static was killing the carrier but the effect is the same.  Perhaps an outside light triggered by sunset or motion is causing problems or some such event.

Good luck with getting help.

jim

Hi ledmonds,

Your post triggered a report from - Keep it spam-free - from years back.  The poster would lose dsl in the evenings, randomly until around 11PM to midnight.  Not every night and not always the same time period.

One evening, he heard his neighbors leaving and his DSL quit working!  He stayed on the computer, offline, for a couple more hours then heard his neighbors returning.  Within minutes, the DSL hooked up stolid!  Since the neighbors had just gotten home, he went next door and asked what they had done when they got home.

The problem was a "noisy" light dimmer that they always turned on low when they went out in the evenings!!  The static was conducted through the house wiring (he was in a duplex) and caused the modem to drop sync.

Now, in his case, he would lose the sync light as the static was killing the carrier but the effect is the same.  Perhaps an outside light triggered by sunset or motion is causing problems or some such event.

Good luck with getting help.

jim

Re: DSL Disconnects Every Day, Multiple Times Per Day

31 of 37 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2010 11:07:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

I share your pain!!!! I had this problem and after many times calling the AT&T tech support, them running line tests on my line, moving the gateway around and changing setting after setting, and having a tech suport guy come out to our house and replace the modem it still dropped randomly. Until I fixed it my self. The 2701 HG-B is a pain in the **bleep** to get it to its sweet spot. But it can be done it just takes time. So for those of you with this modem or close to these directions should help you.

STEP ONE : MAKE SURE YOU GATEWAY IS AT LEAST 5 FEET AWAY FROM ELECTRONICS. ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS PLUGGED IN TO AN OUTLET BY ITSELF. LOW POWER CAN CAUSE THE DSL TO DROP.

STEP TWO : LOG IN TO YOUR GATEWAY (USUALLY 192.168.1.254)

STEP THREE :  GO TO THE HOME NETWORK TAB. THAT WILL BRING UP VIEW NETWORK SUMMARY. CLICK ADVANCED SETTINGS NEXT TO WIRELESS SETTINGS.

STEP FOUR : ONCE IN THE ADVANCED SETTINGS GO  UNDER THE AREA CALLED PRIVATE NETWORK YOU WILL SEE 4 CHOICES

192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 

172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0

10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0  <---------------------------------PICK THIS ONE AND WRITE DOWN THE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!

CONFIGURE MANUALLY

WHAT I MEAN BY WRITE IT DOWN IS WRITE DOWN THE ROUTER ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK AND WRITE DOWN THE DHCP ADDRESS.

STEP FIVE : AFTER WRITING DOWN ALL THE INFORMATION CLICK THE CONFIGURE MANUALLY BUTTON. ENTER IN ALL THE INFORMATION. THE AREA THE AREA THAT HAS THE DHCP AREA IN IT YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE LAST TWO NUMBERS. I HAVE 3 THINGS THAT HOOK IN TO MY INTERNET SO MY NUMBERS ARE BETWEEN 33 TO 35 . THIS WILL DROP YOU DHCP RANGE. BASICALLY YOU WANT THE ALLOCATED TO BE HOW EVER MANY COMPUTERS OR THINGS THAT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. YOU DO NOT WANT ANY AVAILABLE IN THE DHCP RANGE.

STEP SIX : RE WRITE DOWN ALL OF THE INFORMATION. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK. SAVE IT!!!!!

STEP SEVEN : THIS IS FOR THE PEOPLE WITH WIRELESS CONNECTIONS ONLY!!!!

GO TO WIRELESS SETTINGS

THE THREE CHANNELS YOU WANT TO USE ARE 1,6,11

USE THE DEFAULT ENCRIPTION KEY

SCROLL DOWN TO ADDITIONAL SETTINGS

WIRELESS MODE SWITCH IT TO 802.11b

CHANGE THE POWER SETTING TO 10

SAVE IT

IF YOU ARE RUNNING WIRELESS ON YOUR COMPUTER DISABLE THE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

REBOOT YOUR GATEWAY AND COMPUTER

I did this 2 weeks ago and have not had a problem since.

I hope this helps!!

I share your pain!!!! I had this problem and after many times calling the AT&T tech support, them running line tests on my line, moving the gateway around and changing setting after setting, and having a tech suport guy come out to our house and replace the modem it still dropped randomly. Until I fixed it my self. The 2701 HG-B is a pain in the **bleep** to get it to its sweet spot. But it can be done it just takes time. So for those of you with this modem or close to these directions should help you.

STEP ONE : MAKE SURE YOU GATEWAY IS AT LEAST 5 FEET AWAY FROM ELECTRONICS. ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS PLUGGED IN TO AN OUTLET BY ITSELF. LOW POWER CAN CAUSE THE DSL TO DROP.

STEP TWO : LOG IN TO YOUR GATEWAY (USUALLY 192.168.1.254)

STEP THREE :  GO TO THE HOME NETWORK TAB. THAT WILL BRING UP VIEW NETWORK SUMMARY. CLICK ADVANCED SETTINGS NEXT TO WIRELESS SETTINGS.

STEP FOUR : ONCE IN THE ADVANCED SETTINGS GO  UNDER THE AREA CALLED PRIVATE NETWORK YOU WILL SEE 4 CHOICES

192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 

172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0

10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0  <---------------------------------PICK THIS ONE AND WRITE DOWN THE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!

CONFIGURE MANUALLY

WHAT I MEAN BY WRITE IT DOWN IS WRITE DOWN THE ROUTER ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK AND WRITE DOWN THE DHCP ADDRESS.

STEP FIVE : AFTER WRITING DOWN ALL THE INFORMATION CLICK THE CONFIGURE MANUALLY BUTTON. ENTER IN ALL THE INFORMATION. THE AREA THE AREA THAT HAS THE DHCP AREA IN IT YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE LAST TWO NUMBERS. I HAVE 3 THINGS THAT HOOK IN TO MY INTERNET SO MY NUMBERS ARE BETWEEN 33 TO 35 . THIS WILL DROP YOU DHCP RANGE. BASICALLY YOU WANT THE ALLOCATED TO BE HOW EVER MANY COMPUTERS OR THINGS THAT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. YOU DO NOT WANT ANY AVAILABLE IN THE DHCP RANGE.

STEP SIX : RE WRITE DOWN ALL OF THE INFORMATION. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK. SAVE IT!!!!!

STEP SEVEN : THIS IS FOR THE PEOPLE WITH WIRELESS CONNECTIONS ONLY!!!!

GO TO WIRELESS SETTINGS

THE THREE CHANNELS YOU WANT TO USE ARE 1,6,11

USE THE DEFAULT ENCRIPTION KEY

SCROLL DOWN TO ADDITIONAL SETTINGS

WIRELESS MODE SWITCH IT TO 802.11b

CHANGE THE POWER SETTING TO 10

SAVE IT

IF YOU ARE RUNNING WIRELESS ON YOUR COMPUTER DISABLE THE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

REBOOT YOUR GATEWAY AND COMPUTER

I did this 2 weeks ago and have not had a problem since.

I hope this helps!!

32 of 37 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 6:20:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

THIS IS YOUR FINAL NOTICE

AFTER NUMEROUS CALLS TO YOUR "TECH SUPPORT"; IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE NOT TAKING MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR LOUSY INTERNET SERVICE SERIOUSLY.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING TO REBOOT ALL 5 OF MY COMPUTERS EVERY TIME I WANT TO GO ONLINE.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF NOT GETTING THE CONNECTION SPEED I AM PAYING FOR. YOUR SPEEDS ARE SO SLOW THAT SERVERS CONSTANTLY TIME OUT. STREAMING VIDEOS DO NOT PLAY WITHOUT CONSTANTLY STOPPING TO BUFFER.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DOWNLOAD LARGE FILES.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GETTING NOTHING FROM YOUR "TECH SUPPORT" BUT A FUTILE RUN AROUND.

THE PROBLEMS I AM HAVING ARE SOMEWHERE ON YOUR SIDE OF THE CONNECTION DROP.

FIX IT NOW OR I WILL TERMINATE MY INTERNET SERVICE AND THE OVER PRICED TELEPHONE SERVICE WITH YOU AS WELL.

YOU ARE NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICES I AM PAYING FOR.

IF THIS IS THE BEST YOU ARE WILLING TO DO: THEN YOU ARE JUST A BUNCH OF FRAUDS WHO DO NOT DESERVE ANOTHER DIME OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY!

THIS IS YOUR FINAL NOTICE

AFTER NUMEROUS CALLS TO YOUR "TECH SUPPORT"; IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE NOT TAKING MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR LOUSY INTERNET SERVICE SERIOUSLY.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING TO REBOOT ALL 5 OF MY COMPUTERS EVERY TIME I WANT TO GO ONLINE.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF NOT GETTING THE CONNECTION SPEED I AM PAYING FOR. YOUR SPEEDS ARE SO SLOW THAT SERVERS CONSTANTLY TIME OUT. STREAMING VIDEOS DO NOT PLAY WITHOUT CONSTANTLY STOPPING TO BUFFER.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DOWNLOAD LARGE FILES.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GETTING NOTHING FROM YOUR "TECH SUPPORT" BUT A FUTILE RUN AROUND.

THE PROBLEMS I AM HAVING ARE SOMEWHERE ON YOUR SIDE OF THE CONNECTION DROP.

FIX IT NOW OR I WILL TERMINATE MY INTERNET SERVICE AND THE OVER PRICED TELEPHONE SERVICE WITH YOU AS WELL.

YOU ARE NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICES I AM PAYING FOR.

IF THIS IS THE BEST YOU ARE WILLING TO DO: THEN YOU ARE JUST A BUNCH OF FRAUDS WHO DO NOT DESERVE ANOTHER DIME OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY!

33 of 37 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2010 11:49:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problems for several months now. I think it is either the stupid 2wire modem I have or what another user suggested regarding worldnet service migration. This is totally unbearable. I try to connect to chat and it says I am 6th inline. I can't type anyting until the enable it, when it comes to my turn, there is no place to enter anything and the messaget says that I did not enter anything so it is disconnecting the chat session.

I call on the phone the suppor team and of course they connect to some place in India and the person is clueless and says thay my service is inactive!

I call again and somebody else says they opened a service ticket and I need to call back in 3 days to confirm I still have an issue. I am having the issue for more than 3 months now. Are you stupid or thing people are so by patronizing them. This is ridiculous service on part of AT&T. I hope either the people who are responsible for reading these boards carry the message to the executives sitting on ivory towers or somebody else is able to do so. Otherwise, people will leave in droves any way they find an alternative and their ivory towers will come crumbling down soon.

I am having the same problems for several months now. I think it is either the stupid 2wire modem I have or what another user suggested regarding worldnet service migration. This is totally unbearable. I try to connect to chat and it says I am 6th inline. I can't type anyting until the enable it, when it comes to my turn, there is no place to enter anything and the messaget says that I did not enter anything so it is disconnecting the chat session.

I call on the phone the suppor team and of course they connect to some place in India and the person is clueless and says thay my service is inactive!

I call again and somebody else says they opened a service ticket and I need to call back in 3 days to confirm I still have an issue. I am having the issue for more than 3 months now. Are you stupid or thing people are so by patronizing them. This is ridiculous service on part of AT&T. I hope either the people who are responsible for reading these boards carry the message to the executives sitting on ivory towers or somebody else is able to do so. Otherwise, people will leave in droves any way they find an alternative and their ivory towers will come crumbling down soon.

34 of 37 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 7:03:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

eCHAT was useless (what a surprise!!) they refered me to Tech Support 1 877 722 3755, I guess I'll keep easting my time with them now, even the technician seems frustrated with ATT service

eCHAT was useless (what a surprise!!) they refered me to Tech Support 1 877 722 3755, I guess I'll keep easting my time with them now, even the technician seems frustrated with ATT service

35 of 37 (2,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 7:25:50 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:06:37 AM

I unfortunately can relate to most of these posts, I'm also very frustrated and have spent many hours just talking on the phone, chatting and emailing ATT, not to mention the countless hours lost because of these "intermittent" disconnects, and all the time waiting for the technician to arrive. IT'S BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW!! (I'm stuck with ATT I can not get cable here)

Now I'm told to waste more of my time searching for help somewhere else (by the way, I've already talked to 877 722 3755 and NOTHING HAPPENED!!).

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I unfortunately can relate to most of these posts, I'm also very frustrated and have spent many hours just talking on the phone, chatting and emailing ATT, not to mention the countless hours lost because of these "intermittent" disconnects, and all the time waiting for the technician to arrive. IT'S BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW!! (I'm stuck with ATT I can not get cable here)

Now I'm told to waste more of my time searching for help somewhere else (by the way, I've already talked to 877 722 3755 and NOTHING HAPPENED!!).

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
36 of 37 (2,460 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:08:07 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. If you still have questions, please start a new topic.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. If you still have questions, please start a new topic.

37 of 37 (2,451 Views)