Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2010
5:09:04 PM
View profile
DSL Connection Loss in the Evening

Ever since a few months ago, the stellar connection I'd been so satisfied with (6 mbps) began, well, dying. During the day, I can connect easily and reliably, with few or no hiccups in performance. I mostly play online games and watch a lot of YouTube, but neither ever suffer problems even with 3 or 4 computers all connected to the network.

However, at around 7:30 PM, that great connection is almost completely lost. The router very clearly indicates that the connection will completely cut out for a few seconds every two-three minutes, which makes games unplayable and videos stuck in the first few seconds of loading. I've restarted the router, modem, and checked all connections, both physical and with all other computers. It's not a hardware problem, it's something obviously wrong with the network.

I called Tech Support hoping to get this problem fixed, but the first line of defense was done twice over (even though it'd all been done even before that), and I was handed over to Tier 2. After about 15 minutes of elevator-esque jazz music I got a representative that basically reiterated the same steps as before, ran a few connection tests, and concluded that my modem was starting to fail. Really? That doesn't make much sense at all considering it connects fine at any time other than the evening.

When I simply asked how he came to that conclusion (since I couldn't quite understand the logic behind it), he simply said he wouldn't argue with me (that's called discussion, not argument) and told me quite frankly that I'd have to deal with having absolutely embarassing internet speeds for most of the time I have a chance to make use of it.

I'm no stranger to shoddy, unreliable Customer Service, but this is something I've never had to deal with. I'm paying for GUARANTEED 3 mbps minimum (unless something like line repairs is underway), and yet I'm told to deal with the majority of my money being thrown out the window?

Does anyone have any tips that may help solve the problem? I'm at a total loss as to what to do, since even AT&T is too dimwitted to fix something they caused in the first place.

Ever since a few months ago, the stellar connection I'd been so satisfied with (6 mbps) began, well, dying. During the day, I can connect easily and reliably, with few or no hiccups in performance. I mostly play online games and watch a lot of YouTube, but neither ever suffer problems even with 3 or 4 computers all connected to the network.

However, at around 7:30 PM, that great connection is almost completely lost. The router very clearly indicates that the connection will completely cut out for a few seconds every two-three minutes, which makes games unplayable and videos stuck in the first few seconds of loading. I've restarted the router, modem, and checked all connections, both physical and with all other computers. It's not a hardware problem, it's something obviously wrong with the network.

I called Tech Support hoping to get this problem fixed, but the first line of defense was done twice over (even though it'd all been done even before that), and I was handed over to Tier 2. After about 15 minutes of elevator-esque jazz music I got a representative that basically reiterated the same steps as before, ran a few connection tests, and concluded that my modem was starting to fail. Really? That doesn't make much sense at all considering it connects fine at any time other than the evening.

When I simply asked how he came to that conclusion (since I couldn't quite understand the logic behind it), he simply said he wouldn't argue with me (that's called discussion, not argument) and told me quite frankly that I'd have to deal with having absolutely embarassing internet speeds for most of the time I have a chance to make use of it.

I'm no stranger to shoddy, unreliable Customer Service, but this is something I've never had to deal with. I'm paying for GUARANTEED 3 mbps minimum (unless something like line repairs is underway), and yet I'm told to deal with the majority of my money being thrown out the window?

Does anyone have any tips that may help solve the problem? I'm at a total loss as to what to do, since even AT&T is too dimwitted to fix something they caused in the first place.

DSL Connection Loss in the Evening

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 10:25:23 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Hi there Chops_Ahoy,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums. First of all in behalf of At&t; I do apologize for the trouble you had with us in Technical Support. Rest assured, I'm going to do my best here for you. With regard to your unstable connection; something is really interfering your DSL signal there around 7:30 PM.

Our focus now would be that "Something". Well, the list is endless on what factors contributes to such predicament. Try to take note of anything particular that takes place there around 7:30 PM.

Potential causes for periodic loss of connection are the following:

-Master Clock System

-Street Lamp

-Radios and Towers

-Alarm Systems

-Half ringer

-Weather and temperature

-Microwave oven

-Remote-controlled Lawn Watering System and -Radar-based devices. 

Given that list, the most probable culprits would be the Street Lamp, Alarm system and Remote-controlled Lawn Watering System. Yet, further troubleshooting and real-time assessment is needed to properly diagnose the issue and rectify it. I suggest that you call us here and if needed ask for higher tier support. With that, we can do some tests with our Network Engineers and even send you a technician to fix it after careful evaluation on your issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you get trouble from contacting us, try and access http://repair.att.com for pre-testing on your lines. You can also request a dispatch there if needed basing on the results of the tests.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi there Chops_Ahoy,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums. First of all in behalf of At&t; I do apologize for the trouble you had with us in Technical Support. Rest assured, I'm going to do my best here for you. With regard to your unstable connection; something is really interfering your DSL signal there around 7:30 PM.

Our focus now would be that "Something". Well, the list is endless on what factors contributes to such predicament. Try to take note of anything particular that takes place there around 7:30 PM.

Potential causes for periodic loss of connection are the following:

-Master Clock System

-Street Lamp

-Radios and Towers

-Alarm Systems

-Half ringer

-Weather and temperature

-Microwave oven

-Remote-controlled Lawn Watering System and -Radar-based devices. 

Given that list, the most probable culprits would be the Street Lamp, Alarm system and Remote-controlled Lawn Watering System. Yet, further troubleshooting and real-time assessment is needed to properly diagnose the issue and rectify it. I suggest that you call us here and if needed ask for higher tier support. With that, we can do some tests with our Network Engineers and even send you a technician to fix it after careful evaluation on your issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you get trouble from contacting us, try and access http://repair.att.com for pre-testing on your lines. You can also request a dispatch there if needed basing on the results of the tests.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: DSL Connection Loss in the Evening

2 of 2 (455 Views)