Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jun 5, 2012
5:23:24 AM
View profile
DSL But No Voice??

I have the AT&T voice and DSL bundle. Voice has been out since Saturday [AT&T says fixed by Wednesday - so much for "customer service," but don't get me started!] but DSL works. How can DSL come over the same two wires that won't allow voice? I'd love an education community members. Thanks

I have the AT&T voice and DSL bundle. Voice has been out since Saturday [AT&T says fixed by Wednesday - so much for "customer service," but don't get me started!] but DSL works. How can DSL come over the same two wires that won't allow voice? I'd love an education community members. Thanks

DSL But No Voice??

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 6:44:10 AM
(0)
Master

mfd4305 wrote:

When you say "voice is out", do you mean not even dialtone?

Did they give you any reason why it was out?

More often than not it's the DSL the will crap out as the POTS system is pretty basic with not much that can go wrong.

5 days without phone service is unacceptable. If you have another way to make calls, I would call the Retention Department and complain. Tell them you would like some kind of compensation.

The quickest way in is to call the 2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks, and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

mfd4305 wrote:

When you say "voice is out", do you mean not even dialtone?

Did they give you any reason why it was out?

More often than not it's the DSL the will crap out as the POTS system is pretty basic with not much that can go wrong.

5 days without phone service is unacceptable. If you have another way to make calls, I would call the Retention Department and complain. Tell them you would like some kind of compensation.

The quickest way in is to call the 2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks, and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: DSL But No Voice??

2 of 8 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 7:04:05 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the reply, C-J. Yes, I mean I don't even have dial tone. The voice service alternates between "line in use" which is a lot of static noise on the line, and "no line" which is just dead silence - not even an echo. Touch tones echo during the "line is use" periods. I'm still at a loss to understand how DSL can come over a pair but voice will not come over the same pair?? Curse AT&T!!
Thanks for the reply, C-J. Yes, I mean I don't even have dial tone. The voice service alternates between "line in use" which is a lot of static noise on the line, and "no line" which is just dead silence - not even an echo. Touch tones echo during the "line is use" periods. I'm still at a loss to understand how DSL can come over a pair but voice will not come over the same pair?? Curse AT&T!!

Re: DSL But No Voice??

3 of 8 (557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 9:43:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

The frustration just keeps building!! I've had a trouble report in since SATURDAY (!!) for no voice service. Now, when I make my way through 4 or 5 screens to follow-up on this report, and I FINALLY get to the "click to check on status" link, clicking it takes me back to the ID/password sign-in screen -- over and over and OVER AGAIN!

What's going on AT&T?

The frustration just keeps building!! I've had a trouble report in since SATURDAY (!!) for no voice service. Now, when I make my way through 4 or 5 screens to follow-up on this report, and I FINALLY get to the "click to check on status" link, clicking it takes me back to the ID/password sign-in screen -- over and over and OVER AGAIN!

What's going on AT&T?

Endless Loop _arrrgh!!! AT&T REPRESENTATIVE PLEASE NOTE AND TAKE ACTION

4 of 8 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 11:53:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

mfd4305 wrote:

What's going on AT&T?

Asking on here wont do you any good, since this is a customer forum. I'm pretty sure the moderators aren't even AT&T employees. From what I've seen you're gonna have to message Alex or call them directly.

mfd4305 wrote:

What's going on AT&T?

Asking on here wont do you any good, since this is a customer forum. I'm pretty sure the moderators aren't even AT&T employees. From what I've seen you're gonna have to message Alex or call them directly.

Re: Endless Loop _arrrgh!!! AT&T REPRESENTATIVE PLEASE NOTE AND TAKE ACTION

5 of 8 (538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 5:09:45 PM
(0)
Master

Did you use my suggestion and call the Retention Department?

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 8 (522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 5:15:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

I would - but I don't have a phone and I have no idea what the Retention Department is or how to reach them if I did. Not to be a wisea**, but that's the reality.
Thanks again for trying to help

Computer-Joe wrote:

I would - but I don't have a phone and I have no idea what the Retention Department is or how to reach them if I did. Not to be a wisea**, but that's the reality.

7 of 8 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 5:39:55 PM
(0)
Master

mfd4305 wrote:

Can you borrow the neighbors phone, or use a call phone?

As for what the retention department is, it's where the customers who threaten to drop AT&T because they've been screwed over go to actually get the help they should've gotten from the normal customer/tech support channels in the first place.

As for how to reach them here are the instructions again: 

The quickest way in is to call the 1-800-288-2020 number during business hours, when it asks to confirm your phone number say no, then give them your home phone number, and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Insist they to transfer you to the Retention Department. Once transferred, calmly explain your problem and how long you've been waiting for your phone to be fixed.

Unfortunately, with AT&T, it's usually "squeeky wheel gets the grease", so unless you can call in and reach someone with authority, you're likely to get forgotten until they "get around to it".

mfd4305 wrote:

Can you borrow the neighbors phone, or use a call phone?

As for what the retention department is, it's where the customers who threaten to drop AT&T because they've been screwed over go to actually get the help they should've gotten from the normal customer/tech support channels in the first place.

As for how to reach them here are the instructions again: 

The quickest way in is to call the 1-800-288-2020 number during business hours, when it asks to confirm your phone number say no, then give them your home phone number, and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts and it will connect you to a real human (and American citizen) within a minute or two. Insist they to transfer you to the Retention Department. Once transferred, calmly explain your problem and how long you've been waiting for your phone to be fixed.

Unfortunately, with AT&T, it's usually "squeeky wheel gets the grease", so unless you can call in and reach someone with authority, you're likely to get forgotten until they "get around to it".

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 8 (514 Views)