Internet Forums

Posted Aug 8, 2010
11:53:12 AM
View profile
Continuous Random Disconnections

In the last forty-eight hours, I have called tech support four times on this issue: continuous, random losses of DSL connection. The first call was after hours on Friday so the most specific answer I could get was it was either an outside line issue, an inside line issue, or the modem--in other words, my problem exists somewhere between the internet and my computer. Helpful.

Saturday morning I call back and get my suspicions of a faulty modem enforced so rather than wait five days for another AT&T issued modem, likely another pitiful 2wire, I go to the nearest electronics store and buy my own. After getting the brand new modem set up, I still encounter random disconnections.

Saturday afternoon I'm back on the phone with 'tech support' who starts off with "our technicians don't normally work with Netgear modems" despite describing my problem from the start as continued random loss of connection "despite using a different modem." After being on hold for over half an hour while she "consults a line engineer" and my connection still dropping every five to fifteen minutes, I just hang up and figure I'll try again on Sunday.

Today, I'm at work and unable to be at my computer until this evening, but I figure I can talk to someone about it obviously being a line issue and getting a real, physical person out to look into it. What I find out is that they have a "protocol" where I have to be present at my computer while they run a line test before anything else can be done.

So here I am, and now that my customer service rant is over, here is my issue and what I have done to try and fix it. My modem will lose DSL connection randomly and usually resolve within thirty seconds, but sometimes I must reset the modem before it reconnects. Sometimes I can make it through an entire show on Hulu; sometimes I lose connection five times in a show. Sometimes I can play online games for hours without loss of connection; sometimes I get booted as soon as I log back on.

I have tried two different modems, two different filters, and no filter after taking the satelitte receiver off that line. But tech support won't even begin to understand that. What do I have to do to get a real solution? I thought DSL providers were responsible for any issues up to the modem, and the problem is clearly before the modem.

In the last forty-eight hours, I have called tech support four times on this issue: continuous, random losses of DSL connection. The first call was after hours on Friday so the most specific answer I could get was it was either an outside line issue, an inside line issue, or the modem--in other words, my problem exists somewhere between the internet and my computer. Helpful.

Saturday morning I call back and get my suspicions of a faulty modem enforced so rather than wait five days for another AT&T issued modem, likely another pitiful 2wire, I go to the nearest electronics store and buy my own. After getting the brand new modem set up, I still encounter random disconnections.

Saturday afternoon I'm back on the phone with 'tech support' who starts off with "our technicians don't normally work with Netgear modems" despite describing my problem from the start as continued random loss of connection "despite using a different modem." After being on hold for over half an hour while she "consults a line engineer" and my connection still dropping every five to fifteen minutes, I just hang up and figure I'll try again on Sunday.

Today, I'm at work and unable to be at my computer until this evening, but I figure I can talk to someone about it obviously being a line issue and getting a real, physical person out to look into it. What I find out is that they have a "protocol" where I have to be present at my computer while they run a line test before anything else can be done.

So here I am, and now that my customer service rant is over, here is my issue and what I have done to try and fix it. My modem will lose DSL connection randomly and usually resolve within thirty seconds, but sometimes I must reset the modem before it reconnects. Sometimes I can make it through an entire show on Hulu; sometimes I lose connection five times in a show. Sometimes I can play online games for hours without loss of connection; sometimes I get booted as soon as I log back on.

I have tried two different modems, two different filters, and no filter after taking the satelitte receiver off that line. But tech support won't even begin to understand that. What do I have to do to get a real solution? I thought DSL providers were responsible for any issues up to the modem, and the problem is clearly before the modem.

Continuous Random Disconnections

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 5:18:54 PM
(0)

Hello there kmoney,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced. With regard to your Intermittent connection, certainly something is disrupting and interfering your signal there.

Like what they said, it could be from the boxes outside to the lines inside your house. The modem could be a factor, but since you had a new modem; let's set that aside. Going back, the list is still endless on what the real reason could be. Due to limited scope here and lack of real-time assessment, let me give you basic information that could contribute in solving this issue completely. Yet as much as I want to rectify this issue right now, I highly suggest that you call us so that we can assess further about this issue. We can make additional line tests and work with our Network Engineers here to diagnose the problem and see if you need a technician. Call us when you're at home and just confirm to us that you have our Modem. You can also ask for higher tier support if needed.

Here are some underrated culprits that could be causing your problem:

Street Lamp, The Weather, Alarm System, Lawn Watering System, Microwave Oven, Radios and Radio Towers. If you have time, try to take note of the pattern when it occurs, the changes on the modem lights, and intervals as well. As what you've stated, you've done a couple of troubleshooting there already. In addition, try to relocate your modem and isolate it from other devices. Also, it should be about 3 feet above the floor, especially a carpeted floor. You can also try another jack if possible.

Looking at it I concur that this is most likely an issue outside. But we still can't conclude until enough steps are done accordingly. So the best way to solve this is to call us. Just in case you get trouble getting us, you can pre-test your lines and ask for a technician on this site http://repair.att.com. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello there kmoney,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced. With regard to your Intermittent connection, certainly something is disrupting and interfering your signal there.

Like what they said, it could be from the boxes outside to the lines inside your house. The modem could be a factor, but since you had a new modem; let's set that aside. Going back, the list is still endless on what the real reason could be. Due to limited scope here and lack of real-time assessment, let me give you basic information that could contribute in solving this issue completely. Yet as much as I want to rectify this issue right now, I highly suggest that you call us so that we can assess further about this issue. We can make additional line tests and work with our Network Engineers here to diagnose the problem and see if you need a technician. Call us when you're at home and just confirm to us that you have our Modem. You can also ask for higher tier support if needed.

Here are some underrated culprits that could be causing your problem:

Street Lamp, The Weather, Alarm System, Lawn Watering System, Microwave Oven, Radios and Radio Towers. If you have time, try to take note of the pattern when it occurs, the changes on the modem lights, and intervals as well. As what you've stated, you've done a couple of troubleshooting there already. In addition, try to relocate your modem and isolate it from other devices. Also, it should be about 3 feet above the floor, especially a carpeted floor. You can also try another jack if possible.

Looking at it I concur that this is most likely an issue outside. But we still can't conclude until enough steps are done accordingly. So the best way to solve this is to call us. Just in case you get trouble getting us, you can pre-test your lines and ask for a technician on this site http://repair.att.com. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Re: Continuous Random Disconnections

2 of 5 (988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 10:06:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey, I'm also an AT&T customer and like you I have had/continue to have this problem. It actually started working correctly for a ltitle while, but it has peaked it's ugly head again. I can assure you the problem lies with the **bleep**ty, **bleep**ty company known as AT&T. Honestly If you aren't under contract with this lousy company I'd turn and run away right now. Verizon DSL is 100X's better than AT&T. They have been to my house, given me a new router, tested the lines inside and out and yet they say everything is good. Oh and not to mention when we first moved into this house the dumb AT&T guy we had come to our house refused to run a line to the house because he didn't have the time, yet he had no problem showing up a few hours after his 4 hour time window. All they will do is run you through a bunch of B.S. that won't solve a thing. Good luck fixing your problem you are going to need it!

edit:

By the way this is the text I get when my dsl loses connection which it just did 3 minutes ago:

The connection has timed out

The server at hfboards.com is taking too long to respond

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

Hey, I'm also an AT&T customer and like you I have had/continue to have this problem. It actually started working correctly for a ltitle while, but it has peaked it's ugly head again. I can assure you the problem lies with the **bleep**ty, **bleep**ty company known as AT&T. Honestly If you aren't under contract with this lousy company I'd turn and run away right now. Verizon DSL is 100X's better than AT&T. They have been to my house, given me a new router, tested the lines inside and out and yet they say everything is good. Oh and not to mention when we first moved into this house the dumb AT&T guy we had come to our house refused to run a line to the house because he didn't have the time, yet he had no problem showing up a few hours after his 4 hour time window. All they will do is run you through a bunch of B.S. that won't solve a thing. Good luck fixing your problem you are going to need it!

edit:

By the way this is the text I get when my dsl loses connection which it just did 3 minutes ago:

The connection has timed out

The server at hfboards.com is taking too long to respond

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

3 of 5 (988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 12:55:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

We ran a fresh Cat-5 cable from the outside box to the modem and that greatly improved stability from Sunday afternoon, when we did it, to this afternoon.  However, I did experience one disconnection immediately before leaving work.  Hopefully, it was a random fluke and I won't need to spend my day off tomorrow on hold, rather than surfing like I normally do.

We ran a fresh Cat-5 cable from the outside box to the modem and that greatly improved stability from Sunday afternoon, when we did it, to this afternoon.  However, I did experience one disconnection immediately before leaving work.  Hopefully, it was a random fluke and I won't need to spend my day off tomorrow on hold, rather than surfing like I normally do.

4 of 5 (988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 6:54:33 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello Dougr,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem. Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

* Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
    * Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
    * Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.
    * Spyware issues will also affect your connection.
    * Firewall may also effect the Internet connection, please try to disable the security software installed in your computer.

Note: Do remmber to enable the firewall back on.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the intermittent connection issue persist, please contact the AT&T Technical voice helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7), they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

Hello Dougr,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem. Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

* Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
    * Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
    * Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.
    * Spyware issues will also affect your connection.
    * Firewall may also effect the Internet connection, please try to disable the security software installed in your computer.

Note: Do remmber to enable the firewall back on.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the intermittent connection issue persist, please contact the AT&T Technical voice helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7), they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

5 of 5 (988 Views)