Configuring Routers (Where's the "support" in "Technical Support"?)

Contributor

Configuring Routers (Where's the "support" in "Technical Support"?)

Hello,

I just can't conceive the excuse for the poor usability of a major enterprise-level web site like that of ATT.  I have a pretty straightforward question.  I would like to email that question to technical support for high-speed internet DSL service.  Apparently, that is not possible.  The only options offered from the "technical support" page is "read a solution" or "live chat."  I don't have time to screw around with live chat.  Yesterday, I spent over an hour on live chat, just to reset the DSL modem password!  A reasonable person might think that it should not take an hour just to get to the point of resetting a modem password ... those people don't seem to work at ATT.  If I ever use the "live chat" option again, beat me with a stick and leave me for dead.

</rant>

Now for the question.  I have a SpeedStream 5100 DSL modem and a single Linksys WRT54G wireless router hanging off it for my home/office network.  I have sticky IP, so I have my own pool of addresses, of which I am using only the one on the current router.  This setup is working fine for years.

I want to reconfigure to hang two of these Linksys routers off the modem, each with its own network.  I would like these routers to be showing different external IP addresses.  I understand from research that I can connect a switch to the modem and hook the routers into the switch.  I can actually make this work for one router.  

I note from reading the manual that the SpeedStream has a lot of internal configuration options for setting up routing, bridging and so forth.  Is it possible for me to configure the SpeedStream to send data through to the routers in the configuration that I have described?  Since I have to take the network down in order to work directly on the modem, I do not want to waste a lot of time working on something that ultimately turns out to be not possible.  Or, is there some other configuration option that would work equally well?

Thanks.

mp

Message 1 of 4 (1,035 Views)
Employee

Re: Configuring Routers (Where's the "support" in "Technical Support"?)

Hello pdxlooie,

I really apologize that you have not been provided the expected support regarding this issue. I would be glad to provide the information regarding your setup.

There are 2 types of Speedstream 5100 modem that are provided to AT&T customers viz. 5100 (Also called as 5100a with 4 lights) and 5100B (5 lights). The 4-light Speedstream modem does not have an interface of its own and all PPPoE settings are configured on other secondary devices like a computer or any router. If 5100a is the modem model you are using, then you would have to manually configure linksys router to authenticate through PPPoE mode (instead of default DHCP mode).

If you are using the 5-light speedstream modem (5100b), then you have two options.

(i) Keep the PPPoE settings on the modem and configure it with your user ID and password. You can do that by accessing the modem interface by typing 192.168.1.254 in the address bar of your browser window. Please click on Advanced on the left hand side of this page and then click on Connection Configuration. Please enter the email ID and corresponding password to configure it. Then you can connect the switch and the routers as usual. When you are using the PPPoE on modem, please note that the Router need to be in DHCP mode (Most of the Linksys Routers are in this mode by default).

(ii) You can also bridge the Speedstream modem (by disabling the authentication features) and use the authentication on Linksys Router. You can access the following AT&T helpsite link to get more details about 'bridge mode'.

We would be glad to assist you regarding any connectivity issue and provide al the help within our scope of support. We can even assist you with sticky IP configuration through our voice support (1-877-722-3755) as part of support if you are using any AT&T supported router like 2 Wire or Netopia Cayman (or any AT&T provided CPE). However, we have no expertise on Linksys Routers and I am sure you understand the limitations regarding the sticky IP support for the advanced set up you have.

I would like to inform you that even in case the modem is in bridge mode, you can use only one Router connected to the modem directly. If you use a switch, it is not possible to separate 2 separate Routers as only one of them authenticate at a time. When you are using sticky IP configuration mode, you still need to authenticate using the PPPoE. If you are connected the modem > Switch > Two Routers, where you will authenticate? Which gateway IP address you are going to force on them? If you are going to use same user ID and Password on two different Routers, only first one which will be booting up will be authenticated and not on the second one.

One way of using the network you suggested modem > Switch > 2 Routers with same Default gateway IP address forced just to maintain two networks separately. Then you need to power on only one at a time and use one network only. I hope I am able to provide basic clarification you require.

For additional assistance regarding the out f scope issues, I request you to please contact our fee based ConnecTech dept. by calling us on 877-831-2880. They are available from 9am ET to 12 midnight on all days.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (1,035 Views)
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

What is the point, then, of assigning an IP pool of a half-dozen IP addresses for the "sticky" IP option, if only one address can be used?

Thanks.

mp

Message 3 of 4 (1,035 Views)
Employee

Hello pdxlooie,

I would like to inform you that you can use 5 IP's in that pool, if you have AT&T provided router then you need to get in touch AT&T Tier 2 technical voice help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) else you need to get in touch with AT&T ConnecTech support at 877-831-2880. They are available from 9am ET to 12 midnight on all days. They will help you accordingly.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (1,035 Views)