Change the WEP key

Tutor

Change the WEP key

if someone has known my 10-digit WEP key, how can I change it?

Message 1 of 7
Employee

Re: Change the WEP key

Hello lsy0901,

In order to provide the steps to change the wireless key of the modem/router that you are using, we need to find out which modem/router (2wire, Motorola, Speed Stream etc) you are using.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
Tutor

my modem is 2wire.

Message 3 of 7
Employee

Hello lsy0901,

In order to change the wireless key of your 2wire router, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Please open 2wire GUI page through 192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Home Network.
3. Click on the Wireless Settings.
4. Select the  "Use custom encryption key" under Wireless Security and enter your 10 digits number as per your need.
5. Click on Save at the bottom.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if you experience any difficulty while creating new WEP (wireless key) key. Please contact AT&T technical voice help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and ask for tier 2 support. They will help you accordingly.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7
Tutor

I have done as your instruction, why other computers can enter my network without change the password?

Message 5 of 7
Employee

Hello lsy0901,

It is not possible for anyone to access your wireless network, without knowing the Wireless key.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 7
Professor

lsy0901 wrote:

I have done as your instruction, why other computers can enter my network without change the password?

Yeah, if the other computers can still get in it means something didn't save right. Do they actually have access to the network, or does it just show connected?

Sometimes with WEP it will show connected, but if you actually try to use the internet or network resource it doesn't work because its not really connected properly. It also depends on which operating system your using.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support