Internet Forums

Posted Feb 19, 2011
10:54:26 AM
Can i use two 2wire modem/routers in the same house

I need to set up another computer in my house where it is not feasible to run a cat 5 cable from my main modem to the new location.  I have a phone jack and a second 2701hg router  is it possible to set this up to work.  If i plug in the second one the dsl light on the main modem goes red. any help?

I need to set up another computer in my house where it is not feasible to run a cat 5 cable from my main modem to the new location.  I have a phone jack and a second 2701hg router  is it possible to set this up to work.  If i plug in the second one the dsl light on the main modem goes red. any help?

Can i use two 2wire modem/routers in the same house

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 8:45:01 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

We understand your concern and realize the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Two routers on the same line ( at a different location in the premises) would not work. Fortunately, there are ways to connect the computers wirelessly. 2Wire Gateway is a wireless router. You would need to ensure that the computer has an inbuilt wireless card. To determine if the wireless card is installed please refer to the following link

If yes, you can connect the computer wirelessly.

Wireless connection configuration requires WEP key and SSID ( name of the wireless network) to protect your wireless network. You may find 2Wire WEP on the bottom of the 2Wire base station near the bar code level mentioned within square brackets [ ] . The following link will have information on how to locate SSID and WEP key.

You can configure the computer to connect to the wireless network. The link provides the steps on how to connect wirelessly.

After setting up the wireless connection, you can maximise the home networking connection according to your requirement. Please refer to the following link on how to do so .

For further assistance on how to set up the wireless home network, please feel free to contact our support at 1-877-722-3755, open 24/7.

Please be assured that they will do their best to fix the issue.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

We understand your concern and realize the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Two routers on the same line ( at a different location in the premises) would not work. Fortunately, there are ways to connect the computers wirelessly. 2Wire Gateway is a wireless router. You would need to ensure that the computer has an inbuilt wireless card. To determine if the wireless card is installed please refer to the following link

If yes, you can connect the computer wirelessly.

Wireless connection configuration requires WEP key and SSID ( name of the wireless network) to protect your wireless network. You may find 2Wire WEP on the bottom of the 2Wire base station near the bar code level mentioned within square brackets [ ] . The following link will have information on how to locate SSID and WEP key.

You can configure the computer to connect to the wireless network. The link provides the steps on how to connect wirelessly.

After setting up the wireless connection, you can maximise the home networking connection according to your requirement. Please refer to the following link on how to do so .

For further assistance on how to set up the wireless home network, please feel free to contact our support at 1-877-722-3755, open 24/7.

Please be assured that they will do their best to fix the issue.

Re: Can i use two 2wire modem/routers in the same house

2 of 2 (3,618 Views)