Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 2, 2009
9:53:55 AM
View profile
Can anyone help me?
Recently I had to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 provided by Yahoo since for some reason AT&T decided to do away with their browser! Well ever since then I have not been able to download anything! I have tried different websites too! Everything will be going fine then when it gets down to the last second, that is when it hangs up! If I leave it alone after a bit I will get "download times out" or something to that effect. I've searched all over the 'net and have not been able to find a solution to my particular problem! Has anybody else been through this? Please help, I am so frustrated! I can't even download the updated AT&T Self Support Tool! I have McAfee and it does not show that I have a virus so I am all out of ideas! My sincere thanks to anyone that can offer me any solution!!
Recently I had to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 provided by Yahoo since for some reason AT&T decided to do away with their browser! Well ever since then I have not been able to download anything! I have tried different websites too! Everything will be going fine then when it gets down to the last second, that is when it hangs up! If I leave it alone after a bit I will get "download times out" or something to that effect. I've searched all over the 'net and have not been able to find a solution to my particular problem! Has anybody else been through this? Please help, I am so frustrated! I can't even download the updated AT&T Self Support Tool! I have McAfee and it does not show that I have a virus so I am all out of ideas! My sincere thanks to anyone that can offer me any solution!!

Can anyone help me?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 12:59:17 PM
(0)
Guru

hi annabella!

i used to have the att yahoo! browser too, but i had to install the new Internet Explorer 8 by Yahoo! since att stopped providing support for the att browser.

you could try clearing the IE8's browser settings to help it process a lot faster. try these steps below that i got from the helpsite.

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
   2. Click Tools (top part of screen).
   3. Click Internet Options.
   4. On the General tab (under Browsing history) click Delete.
   5. Select the checkbox next to Cookies. Put checks on the rest of the other boxes as well, except the Password box.
   6. Click Delete and then click OK.
   7. Go to the Privacy tab, make sure it is set to Medium.
   8. Then go to Connections tab. Click on LAN Settings button. Make sure that none of the boxes are checked.
   9. Hit OK.
  10. Close and re-open IE8 browser. See if it's faster and will allow you to download stuff from the internet.

Goodluck! :smileyhappy:

hi annabella!

i used to have the att yahoo! browser too, but i had to install the new Internet Explorer 8 by Yahoo! since att stopped providing support for the att browser.

you could try clearing the IE8's browser settings to help it process a lot faster. try these steps below that i got from the helpsite.

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
   2. Click Tools (top part of screen).
   3. Click Internet Options.
   4. On the General tab (under Browsing history) click Delete.
   5. Select the checkbox next to Cookies. Put checks on the rest of the other boxes as well, except the Password box.
   6. Click Delete and then click OK.
   7. Go to the Privacy tab, make sure it is set to Medium.
   8. Then go to Connections tab. Click on LAN Settings button. Make sure that none of the boxes are checked.
   9. Hit OK.
  10. Close and re-open IE8 browser. See if it's faster and will allow you to download stuff from the internet.

Goodluck! :smileyhappy:

Re: Can anyone help me?

2 of 6 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 1:01:33 PM
(0)
Guru

if you are still not satisfied with the IE8's performance, you may try using another browser.

i suggest you download Mozilla browser. just go to http://mozilla.com and click on the DOWNLOAD link from there. that's what i usually use. :smileyhappy:

if you are still not satisfied with the IE8's performance, you may try using another browser.

i suggest you download Mozilla browser. just go to http://mozilla.com and click on the DOWNLOAD link from there. that's what i usually use. :smileyhappy:

3 of 6 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 9:27:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Akee, Thank you so much for giving me some things to try with my computer and Internet problems! I did everything exactly the way you said, except the changing of the Browser and I am thinking about that one very seriously! My Internet loads faster now, thanks to your suggestions but unfortunately I still can not download anything! It looks like my last alternative is to change the Browser so I am off to follow your next piece of advice. I'll let you know how it went, hopefully my reply will be a little quicker this time. lol I really appreciate your help! Have a great day! Annabella
Hi Akee, Thank you so much for giving me some things to try with my computer and Internet problems! I did everything exactly the way you said, except the changing of the Browser and I am thinking about that one very seriously! My Internet loads faster now, thanks to your suggestions but unfortunately I still can not download anything! It looks like my last alternative is to change the Browser so I am off to follow your next piece of advice. I'll let you know how it went, hopefully my reply will be a little quicker this time. lol I really appreciate your help! Have a great day! Annabella

4 of 6 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2009 11:59:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
It might not be your browser, but your modem and router. The easiest solution is to get AT&T send you one of their 2Wire Gateways (Modem and Router in one). Tell them you're thinking about switching to a cable modem because of your trouble and they may send you one free. If you don't want to pay, (or if they won't give you a free one) try searching the internet for download problems due to incorrect modem and router configurations. Hope this helps, John
It might not be your browser, but your modem and router. The easiest solution is to get AT&T send you one of their 2Wire Gateways (Modem and Router in one). Tell them you're thinking about switching to a cable modem because of your trouble and they may send you one free. If you don't want to pay, (or if they won't give you a free one) try searching the internet for download problems due to incorrect modem and router configurations. Hope this helps, John

5 of 6 (281 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2009 3:53:31 PM
(0)
Employee

johne2 wrote:

I would try the browser first, cause if you can download with another browser, you would just be wasting technical support's time for something they might not be able to help you with or just help you uninstall it. The browser is provided by yahoo. The browser would be the easiest to check, and you are not wasting time on the phone with AT&T.

johne2 wrote:

I would try the browser first, cause if you can download with another browser, you would just be wasting technical support's time for something they might not be able to help you with or just help you uninstall it. The browser is provided by yahoo. The browser would be the easiest to check, and you are not wasting time on the phone with AT&T.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (281 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments