Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2009
11:19:12 AM
View profile
Can I use someone elses' gateway router to my account?
I'm hoping that someone can answer this for me. I'm trying not to spend more money to but a router that can hook up my wired computer,2 laptops, a nintensdo wii,ps3 and 2 psps wirelessly.My father used to have at&t dsl but is no longer using his gateway router. His account is not active anymore. So i was trying to see if i can use his router to upgrade from my modem 2210. Can I use his old gateway/router to upgrade? Please let me know. Thank You
I'm hoping that someone can answer this for me. I'm trying not to spend more money to but a router that can hook up my wired computer,2 laptops, a nintensdo wii,ps3 and 2 psps wirelessly.My father used to have at&t dsl but is no longer using his gateway router. His account is not active anymore. So i was trying to see if i can use his router to upgrade from my modem 2210. Can I use his old gateway/router to upgrade? Please let me know. Thank You

Can I use someone elses' gateway router to my account?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 6:57:50 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello Shawty75,

Yes, you can use any old working (should not be faulty) 2 Wire gateway router with your AT&T DSL Services.

If you experience any difficulty, while connecting that old 2 Wire router, you may contact AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello Shawty75,

Yes, you can use any old working (should not be faulty) 2 Wire gateway router with your AT&T DSL Services.

If you experience any difficulty, while connecting that old 2 Wire router, you may contact AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I use someone elses' gateway router to my account?

2 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 7:14:06 AM
(0)
Guru

hi shawty75!

yes, the 2Wire will work. just remove the moto2210 modem and replace it with the 2Wire (modem/router). make sure you use the same power adapter that came with your dad's 2Wire device. then configure the 2Wire using your own AT&T username and password. all ethernet-connected devices to the 2Wire should be able to go online after a successful configuration.

then you can setup the rest of your game devices on wireless. by default, the wireless key is the 10-digit code enclosed by the brackets found under the 2Wire modem. your 2wire wireless name is, by default, 2WIREXXX (XXX- last 3-digit of the 2Wire's serial # also found under the modem).

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

hi shawty75!

yes, the 2Wire will work. just remove the moto2210 modem and replace it with the 2Wire (modem/router). make sure you use the same power adapter that came with your dad's 2Wire device. then configure the 2Wire using your own AT&T username and password. all ethernet-connected devices to the 2Wire should be able to go online after a successful configuration.

then you can setup the rest of your game devices on wireless. by default, the wireless key is the 10-digit code enclosed by the brackets found under the 2Wire modem. your 2wire wireless name is, by default, 2WIREXXX (XXX- last 3-digit of the 2Wire's serial # also found under the modem).

3 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 8:02:59 AM
(0)
Guru

BTW, here are the steps to configure your dad's 2Wire modem/router with your own account information:

1. Connect a computer to the 2Wire via ethernet. Pull up a web browser (ex. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.).

2. Then go to http://gateway.2wire.net or http://192.168.1.254 website. This will bring you to the '2wire Network at a Glance' page. This is the modem's graphical interface.

3. Click on 'Run System Setup Wizard' link at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
(Note: It might ask you for the 2Wire System Password. That is the password your dad created for this 2Wire modem when he first got it. If you cannot remember the password, just click on 'Forgot Password' link and hopefully it will give the hint for the 2Wire password. If still unsuccessful, it will ask you to input the 10-digit code enclosed by brackets found underneath the 2Wire modem to create a new 2Wire System Password. The 2Wire System Password and your AT&T email password are two different kinds of passwords, do not confuse them.)

4. Once you are able to successfully get inside the 2wire, you will see the 2wire Key Code Page (522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV).
Do not change anything. Just keep clicking 'Next' until you get to the 'Connection Information Page'.

5. From that page, make sure that the Username/UserID box contains your complete AT&T email address (ex. memberid@sbcglobal.net, memberid@att.net etc.).
Enter your AT&T EMail Password in the 'Password' and 'Confirm Password' boxes.

6. Then click on 'Next'.
It will then connect your 2Wire to the AT&T Server with your email and password.

7. Then just click 'Exit/Finish' on the 'Welcome to Product Registration' Page.
You should be able to surf the internet after a successful authentication to the server.

BTW, here are the steps to configure your dad's 2Wire modem/router with your own account information:

1. Connect a computer to the 2Wire via ethernet. Pull up a web browser (ex. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.).

2. Then go to http://gateway.2wire.net or http://192.168.1.254 website. This will bring you to the '2wire Network at a Glance' page. This is the modem's graphical interface.

3. Click on 'Run System Setup Wizard' link at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
(Note: It might ask you for the 2Wire System Password. That is the password your dad created for this 2Wire modem when he first got it. If you cannot remember the password, just click on 'Forgot Password' link and hopefully it will give the hint for the 2Wire password. If still unsuccessful, it will ask you to input the 10-digit code enclosed by brackets found underneath the 2Wire modem to create a new 2Wire System Password. The 2Wire System Password and your AT&T email password are two different kinds of passwords, do not confuse them.)

4. Once you are able to successfully get inside the 2wire, you will see the 2wire Key Code Page (522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV).
Do not change anything. Just keep clicking 'Next' until you get to the 'Connection Information Page'.

5. From that page, make sure that the Username/UserID box contains your complete AT&T email address (ex. memberid@sbcglobal.net, memberid@att.net etc.).
Enter your AT&T EMail Password in the 'Password' and 'Confirm Password' boxes.

6. Then click on 'Next'.
It will then connect your 2Wire to the AT&T Server with your email and password.

7. Then just click 'Exit/Finish' on the 'Welcome to Product Registration' Page.
You should be able to surf the internet after a successful authentication to the server.

4 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 6:06:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
you have answered all of my questions,thank you so much
you have answered all of my questions,thank you so much

5 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 6:47:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
ok I have successfully set up my Dad's old gateway. however i do not see the "wireless" light on. How do i set up the wireless gadgets to this gateway. I'm sorry this is my first time doing this. Remember the gateway is set up through ethernet to the pc, now i'm trying to set up my ps3.nontendo wii 2 psps, and others wirelessly. Thank s Again
ok I have successfully set up my Dad's old gateway. however i do not see the "wireless" light on. How do i set up the wireless gadgets to this gateway. I'm sorry this is my first time doing this. Remember the gateway is set up through ethernet to the pc, now i'm trying to set up my ps3.nontendo wii 2 psps, and others wirelessly. Thank s Again

6 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 7:32:40 PM
(0)
Guru

the wireless light is not lit on the 2Wire 'coz no wireless device is communicating to it yet. on the ethernet-connected PC, go back to the 192.168.1.254 website. check the wireless settings first.

on the 2wire page, click on the HOME NETWORK icon on top --> click on WIRELESS SETTINGS link (enter 2wire system pword) --> take note of the 2WIRE NAME (SSID) --> check what kind of encryption you have (DEFAULT VS. PERSONALIZED?) --> if default, that's the 10-digit from the bottom of the 2Wire; if you want to personalize, just enter a 10-digit code. --> wireless channel, select either 6 or 11 --> power setting = 10 --> save the settings.

the wireless light is not lit on the 2Wire 'coz no wireless device is communicating to it yet. on the ethernet-connected PC, go back to the 192.168.1.254 website. check the wireless settings first.

on the 2wire page, click on the HOME NETWORK icon on top --> click on WIRELESS SETTINGS link (enter 2wire system pword) --> take note of the 2WIRE NAME (SSID) --> check what kind of encryption you have (DEFAULT VS. PERSONALIZED?) --> if default, that's the 10-digit from the bottom of the 2Wire; if you want to personalize, just enter a 10-digit code. --> wireless channel, select either 6 or 11 --> power setting = 10 --> save the settings.

7 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 7:42:48 PM
(0)
Guru

to setup wireless on winXP computer:

go to START --> CONTROL PANEL --> NETWORK CONNECTIONS --> right-click on Wireless Network Connection icon --> select PROPERTIES --> go to the Wireless Network tab --> Make sure that there is a checkmark on 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network' box at the very top --> hit OK.

Right-click on 'Wireless Network Connection' icon --> go to 'View Available Wireless Network' --> it should detect all wireless connections available including your own 2WIRE --> select your 2WIRE NAME --> enter wireless key.

make sure to enter the correct wireless key. if the wireless light lit on the 2wire, then you're good! :smileyhappy: try surfing on the internet.

BTW, make sure that all your wireless devices + 2wire modem are at least 3-5 ft. away from any other wireless equipment (cordless phone, cellphone), microwave, etc. to avoid unsteady wireless signal.

to setup wireless on winXP computer:

go to START --> CONTROL PANEL --> NETWORK CONNECTIONS --> right-click on Wireless Network Connection icon --> select PROPERTIES --> go to the Wireless Network tab --> Make sure that there is a checkmark on 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network' box at the very top --> hit OK.

Right-click on 'Wireless Network Connection' icon --> go to 'View Available Wireless Network' --> it should detect all wireless connections available including your own 2WIRE --> select your 2WIRE NAME --> enter wireless key.

make sure to enter the correct wireless key. if the wireless light lit on the 2wire, then you're good! :smileyhappy: try surfing on the internet.

BTW, make sure that all your wireless devices + 2wire modem are at least 3-5 ft. away from any other wireless equipment (cordless phone, cellphone), microwave, etc. to avoid unsteady wireless signal.

8 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 7:45:36 PM
(0)
Guru
same thing goes with your other wireless gaming devices. let them detect your 2WIRE and enter the correct wireless key. should be no problem with them connecting to the wireless.
same thing goes with your other wireless gaming devices. let them detect your 2WIRE and enter the correct wireless key. should be no problem with them connecting to the wireless.

9 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 8:13:48 PM
(0)
Teacher
ok im in the wireless settings tab and i see the ssid name the wireless channel was on 1 so i changed it to 11.under wireless security it's on WEP-open and it's on default. i didn't set up wireless from my desktop yet should i go ahead and do that?The psps picked up the ssid name but not the wep key. i typed in the 10 digit number and one psp said the connection times out while the other said it couldn't get a connection
ok im in the wireless settings tab and i see the ssid name the wireless channel was on 1 so i changed it to 11.under wireless security it's on WEP-open and it's on default. i didn't set up wireless from my desktop yet should i go ahead and do that?The psps picked up the ssid name but not the wep key. i typed in the 10 digit number and one psp said the connection times out while the other said it couldn't get a connection

10 of 15 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 8:27:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
also i try to set up the wireless i went to start-control panel- but i have network and internet connections as a choice- i clicked on it,then came upon a pick a task menu where i can set up a wireless network,change a network etc. remember my pc is not wireless it's hooked in the modem thru ethernet
also i try to set up the wireless i went to start-control panel- but i have network and internet connections as a choice- i clicked on it,then came upon a pick a task menu where i can set up a wireless network,change a network etc. remember my pc is not wireless it's hooked in the modem thru ethernet

11 of 15 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2009 6:14:07 AM
(0)
Guru

you have two computers, right? are they wireless capable (do they have the wireless adapters to pick the wireless from the 2Wire)?

most laptops now have built-in wireless adapters, so they are wireless-ready. just need to setup the wireless settings on them.

on NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS, go to NETWORK CONNECTIONS (you were on category view that's why you have different menus/icons shown). then continue with the rest of the steps. best to to this on your laptops first.

do you want to setup your desktop computer on wireless too instead of ethernet? we may need to check first if the desktop is wireless-ready. it may not have a wireless adapter installed yet.

you have two computers, right? are they wireless capable (do they have the wireless adapters to pick the wireless from the 2Wire)?

most laptops now have built-in wireless adapters, so they are wireless-ready. just need to setup the wireless settings on them.

on NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS, go to NETWORK CONNECTIONS (you were on category view that's why you have different menus/icons shown). then continue with the rest of the steps. best to to this on your laptops first.

do you want to setup your desktop computer on wireless too instead of ethernet? we may need to check first if the desktop is wireless-ready. it may not have a wireless adapter installed yet.

12 of 15 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2009 6:18:53 AM
(0)
Guru

can you provide me these details so we won't get confused? :smileyvery-happy:

a. how many desktop computers?              - 1 desktop

wanna connect via ethernet or wireless?    -

winxp or vista?                                        -

b. how many laptop computers?                - 2 laptops

c. how many gaming devices (PSP, Nintendo, etc.)?    - Nintendo Wii, PS3 and 2 PSPs

wanna connect via ethernet or wireless                      - all wireless

thanks! :smileyhappy:

can you provide me these details so we won't get confused? :smileyvery-happy:

a. how many desktop computers?              - 1 desktop

b. how many laptop computers?                - 2 laptops

c. how many gaming devices (PSP, Nintendo, etc.)?    - Nintendo Wii, PS3 and 2 PSPs

wanna connect via ethernet or wireless                      - all wireless

thanks! :smileyhappy:

13 of 15 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2009 2:53:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
I am using a pc that's not wireless,2 psps,nintendo wii,ps3 and coming soon 2 laptops. I have fixed the situation. Thank you so much for bearing with me. Everything works,except for the 1 psp that is having an internal problem but that's an easy fix. Thanks again.
I am using a pc that's not wireless,2 psps,nintendo wii,ps3 and coming soon 2 laptops. I have fixed the situation. Thank you so much for bearing with me. Everything works,except for the 1 psp that is having an internal problem but that's an easy fix. Thanks again.

14 of 15 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2009 6:13:18 AM
(0)
Guru

oh, glad to hear your wireless works now! :smileyhappy:

you're welcome! merry christmas!

oh, glad to hear your wireless works now! :smileyhappy:

you're welcome! merry christmas!

15 of 15 (1,665 Views)