Helpful Links

Bait and Switch scam?

Contributor

Bait and Switch scam?

What is the deal? I get a letter, via US Mail (i.e., I can report to Postal Inspectors - I saved it!) offering me 19.95/mo DSL, no connect fee.

First bill has connect fee, and $38/mo service.

Call to get it fixed, after many calls....

Then I get a $38/mo bill again. Many calls, get it fixed.

Then, the same. They keep telling me that it will take - 1,2,3,4 bill cycles (whatever number is 1 number in the future @ time of call) for my bill to be 'credited' and go down to $19.95. Of course, none of this was mentioned in the paperwork I got via the US Mail - just 19.95/mo and no connect fees. Nowhere did it stated I would be billed $38 for 4-6 months and then given a 'credit'.

Got my January Bill. Despite the promises of my last call, my bill was not corrected to re bill @ 19.95... it was $38.00 again. I called 8 times or so - being cut off, hung up on before I could talk, transferred in endless loops, and given bogus phone numbers. Finally get through. Was informed she couldn't do anything beyond lowering my bill to $24.95/mo, and was transferred to some guy that claimed he could see the plan I signed up for was for Internet sign up, and was not 19.95 b/c I signed up via the phone. All he can do was put me under the 24.95.mo. Yet, to put me under the 24.95 a mo plan he needed my name and account number - hey, didn't he just say he saw where i signed up on the phone? But he didn't have my account number, or name? HUH?

In the past they were able to 'fix' it back down to 19.95/mo

At this point, it is the principle of the thing. I feel like a crime victim. I refused to consent to my plan being changed to 24.95/mo. I am not going to be extorted and forced to pay double what signed up for (a fact already admitted by previous cust service agents who 'corrected' my account) or be forced to pay an extra $5. I served my country, and now I am disable, every bit counts, but it is more than that. I wouldn't give ATT the money anymore than I would kowtow to thugs that tried to extort me. Same thing. No way could any company make this many mistakes not on purpose. I have been a die hard ATT person with ATT service for 30 years, with the exception of 2009/10 when I moved. As soon as I moved back, my first call was to be to ATT, I was overjoyed to find the special offer waiting for me in my mailbox. Yet I get treated like this.

The ATT DSL service itself is great... our cable co service is a joke, lousy old backbone equip, goes out when it rains, is cold, or is hot... etc. But at least I know they will bill me what they say they will, just not provide the service. I wouldn't have to waste time with them like I do ATT every month.

Can anybody help me besides the courts?

Message 1 of 11
Community Manager

Re: Bait and Switch scam?

Welcome and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can help.

Regards,
Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

I have this exact issue, signed up (online) for $19.95/month fast access dsl extreme for a one year term. Difference being I am charged $48.00/month, I really need this resolved as I'm not willing or capable of paying that amount. If you could help resolve this Alex I would be much obliged.
Message 3 of 11
Community Manager

rooted wrote:
I have this exact issue, signed up (online) for $19.95/month fast access dsl extreme for a one year term. Difference being I am charged $48.00/month, I really need this resolved as I'm not willing or capable of paying that amount. If you could help resolve this Alex I would be much obliged.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.

Regards,
Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 4 of 11
Contributor

Hi Alex,

I also face the same issue.I applied online and its $24.95 for first 12 months.I activated the service on 30 Dec 2011.

They charged me $48 per month instead of $24.95.

This is the first bill and i am new ATT user for the very first time,frustation starts.

Message 5 of 11
Tutor

I just got my first bill and called about the charges.  My total bill was over $267.  $100 for the 2Wire modem, $55 for the tech service (which was a joke, see my other post about this!), $36 activation fee, $48 for the coming month and $41.60 for Dec 22 to Jan 17. Plus there was a credit for $13.05, but it didn't say why. 

This is what I was finally able to figure out with the lady at customer service.

1. I will always be billed $48 a month, and recieve a credit each month of $13.05 that then brings my monthly charge to $34.95.  I figure this is because the discount rate is only for a year and they don't want to have to change the monthly charge, they will just stop giving me the credit.

2. I did not recieve the credit for the first partial month of my service because it was not a full month, so I got charged $41.60.  The customer service lady was not able to explain this to me, she just kept saying that it was pro-rated because they bill a month in advance.  So I kept asking, why was there no credit then for the partial month, and she kept saying there was, that I was paying $34.95 plus some extra days from the previous month.  I finally got it through to her that the charges of Dec 22-Jan 17 were LESS than one month, 26 days actually and it was more than $34.95.  "That's because it was pro-rated , she would say over and over... Smiley Frustrated  So I finally had to put the words in her mouth and said to her, "So because it was a partial month, I am not entitled to the credit?", to which she replied "Yes, ma'am."  Okay, why couldn't she just say that in the first place.  Instead of going on and on for 15 minutes about it being pro-rated!?! Or better yet, why didn't it say on the bill that the first partial month was not subject to the discount rate because it was a partial month.

I complained to the lady that their paperwork sucks and if they were more clear in the paperwork, installation instructions, and bill statements then the customer service lines would not be so overloaded that we have to sit on hold for 30-90 minutes EVERYTIME just to speak to someone.  If the bill had said why the credit was there, and why there was no credit for the first partial month, then I wouldn't have even called!

Also I mentioned that I was not happy about the $55 service charge, to which she replied that if I had subscribed to the $5 a month wire service, then I wouldn't have had it on my bill at all.  Maybe not, but the reality is that it wasn't a "wire" problem at all, it was because there installation instructions are WRONG and tells me NOT to use the dual filter to plug the data cord in if I don't have an active phone line ( it says to plug the data cord directly into the jack) when I actually I need the filter!  And the instructions never say to NOT use Firefox to load the registration page, yet it won't actually load using Firefox...don't you think the customer service guys on the phone should know these things?? I wouldn't have had to call in a tech guy if their instructions were correct. 

I have never liked AT&T customer service.  The only reason I am a customer is because they are the only ISP in my area that I can get internet without a phone line and I needed to reduce my bills! I was paying $42.95 a month before with my old ISP DSL and I had $55 in AT&T phone bill charges to have the phone line to run the DSL.  This is cheaper, but I have to stay an AT&T customer... My phone line got switched to AT&T a couple of years ago when they bought out my previous company. Before that I had a personal AT&T boycott going on because I got so mad at them almost 20 years ago!  I avoided being their customer for nearly 15 years for reasons just like all these complaints on the boards here!!!

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Teacher

If you PM Alex he will indeed help, I don't believe he has email notifications enabled per thread as he would receive too many emails. I received a call from Sam Lewis (great guy) who assured me he corrected the billing issue I am experiencing the same day I posted. I will update this thread to inform if the issue is resolved the coming week.
Message 7 of 11
Community Manager

vasanth_ece wrote:

Hi Alex,

I also face the same issue.I applied online and its $24.95 for first 12 months.I activated the service on 30 Dec 2011.

They charged me $48 per month instead of $24.95.

This is the first bill and i am new ATT user for the very first time,frustation starts.

Thank you vasanth_ece. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.

Regards,
Alex

Message 8 of 11
Community Manager

mom2three wrote:

I just got my first bill and called about the charges.  My total bill was over $267.  $100 for the 2Wire modem, $55 for the tech service (which was a joke, see my other post about this!), $36 activation fee, $48 for the coming month and $41.60 for Dec 22 to Jan 17. Plus there was a credit for $13.05, but it didn't say why. 

This is what I was finally able to figure out with the lady at customer service.

1. I will always be billed $48 a month, and recieve a credit each month of $13.05 that then brings my monthly charge to $34.95.  I figure this is because the discount rate is only for a year and they don't want to have to change the monthly charge, they will just stop giving me the credit.

2. I did not recieve the credit for the first partial month of my service because it was not a full month, so I got charged $41.60.  The customer service lady was not able to explain this to me, she just kept saying that it was pro-rated because they bill a month in advance.  So I kept asking, why was there no credit then for the partial month, and she kept saying there was, that I was paying $34.95 plus some extra days from the previous month.  I finally got it through to her that the charges of Dec 22-Jan 17 were LESS than one month, 26 days actually and it was more than $34.95.  "That's because it was pro-rated , she would say over and over... Smiley Frustrated  So I finally had to put the words in her mouth and said to her, "So because it was a partial month, I am not entitled to the credit?", to which she replied "Yes, ma'am."  Okay, why couldn't she just say that in the first place.  Instead of going on and on for 15 minutes about it being pro-rated!?! Or better yet, why didn't it say on the bill that the first partial month was not subject to the discount rate because it was a partial month.

I complained to the lady that their paperwork sucks and if they were more clear in the paperwork, installation instructions, and bill statements then the customer service lines would not be so overloaded that we have to sit on hold for 30-90 minutes EVERYTIME just to speak to someone.  If the bill had said why the credit was there, and why there was no credit for the first partial month, then I wouldn't have even called!

Also I mentioned that I was not happy about the $55 service charge, to which she replied that if I had subscribed to the $5 a month wire service, then I wouldn't have had it on my bill at all.  Maybe not, but the reality is that it wasn't a "wire" problem at all, it was because there installation instructions are WRONG and tells me NOT to use the dual filter to plug the data cord in if I don't have an active phone line ( it says to plug the data cord directly into the jack) when I actually I need the filter!  And the instructions never say to NOT use Firefox to load the registration page, yet it won't actually load using Firefox...don't you think the customer service guys on the phone should know these things?? I wouldn't have had to call in a tech guy if their instructions were correct. 

I have never liked AT&T customer service.  The only reason I am a customer is because they are the only ISP in my area that I can get internet without a phone line and I needed to reduce my bills! I was paying $42.95 a month before with my old ISP DSL and I had $55 in AT&T phone bill charges to have the phone line to run the DSL.  This is cheaper, but I have to stay an AT&T customer... My phone line got switched to AT&T a couple of years ago when they bought out my previous company. Before that I had a personal AT&T boycott going on because I got so mad at them almost 20 years ago!  I avoided being their customer for nearly 15 years for reasons just like all these complaints on the boards here!!!

Hey mom2three, thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm very sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble.  For account specific questions/concerns, please send me a Private Message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

Message 9 of 11
Community Manager

rooted wrote:
If you PM Alex he will indeed help, I don't believe he has email notifications enabled per thread as he would receive too many emails. I received a call from Sam Lewis (great guy) who assured me he corrected the billing issue I am experiencing the same day I posted. I will update this thread to inform if the issue is resolved the coming week.

Thank you rooted!  Smiley Happy

Regards,

Alex

Message 10 of 11
Community Manager

Thank you all for the feedback.  I'm closing this thread for now to keep it relevant.  For account specific questions/concerns, please send me a Private Message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support