Internet Forums

Posted May 4, 2010
9:28:02 AM
View profile
Att/Yahoo facebook intrusion

What is facebook doing on my ATT/Yahoo webmail??? 

I may have a facebook page but that doesn't mean I want it intruding in my life in other aspects.   If I want it I should be able to mark a box and ask for it.  ATT/Yahoo can't just assume what people want.  Does anyone else find this as a privacy issue. 

Thanks

What is facebook doing on my ATT/Yahoo webmail??? 

I may have a facebook page but that doesn't mean I want it intruding in my life in other aspects.   If I want it I should be able to mark a box and ask for it.  ATT/Yahoo can't just assume what people want.  Does anyone else find this as a privacy issue. 

Thanks

Att/Yahoo facebook intrusion

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 9:59:19 AM
(0)

Hello Gypsy,

I'm so sorry to hear about that. The kind of issue that you are currently experiencing is due to the default Facebook settings of your account. Apparently you used your AT&T/Yahoo webmail account to sign up for your Facebook account. Any social networking website will send notifications to the email address that you used on that web site, telling you of all the recent activities that you have missed or are ongoing. In your case, you may be getting a notification from Facebook about a friend request, a new comment, a tag, a new status, and so on and so forth.

To resolve this, you would need to check on your Account Privacy settings in your Facebook account. AT&T has nothing to do with Facebook and is only receiving/delivering the emails for you. If you receive any new notifications in your Facebook account, it sends it to your AT&T/Yahoo webmail.

It's just like receiving a new package at your home address from the same person every time. The only way to stop it, is to stop that person from sending you the package. An email address is just your mailbox on the Internet, just like your physical address is your mailbox in real life. It doesn't ask to have a package or letter sent to it.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello Gypsy,

I'm so sorry to hear about that. The kind of issue that you are currently experiencing is due to the default Facebook settings of your account. Apparently you used your AT&T/Yahoo webmail account to sign up for your Facebook account. Any social networking website will send notifications to the email address that you used on that web site, telling you of all the recent activities that you have missed or are ongoing. In your case, you may be getting a notification from Facebook about a friend request, a new comment, a tag, a new status, and so on and so forth.

To resolve this, you would need to check on your Account Privacy settings in your Facebook account. AT&T has nothing to do with Facebook and is only receiving/delivering the emails for you. If you receive any new notifications in your Facebook account, it sends it to your AT&T/Yahoo webmail.

It's just like receiving a new package at your home address from the same person every time. The only way to stop it, is to stop that person from sending you the package. An email address is just your mailbox on the Internet, just like your physical address is your mailbox in real life. It doesn't ask to have a package or letter sent to it.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Re: Att/Yahoo facebook intrusion

2 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 1:02:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for your reply.  I didn't use my Yahoo account to set up facebook and I checked all my privacy settings and don't see anything that would allow it.  I'll have to check further. 

Thanks.

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for your reply.  I didn't use my Yahoo account to set up facebook and I checked all my privacy settings and don't see anything that would allow it.  I'll have to check further. 

Thanks.

3 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 6:37:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi Gypsy,

I find it a MAJOR privacy issue!!!  If you don't go DEEP into your settings, strangers can see personal info about you.  I don't think that is safe at all.  ATT/pby refers to it as 'sharing'.   It would be different if you had the option to select the 'sharing' options but it is pre-set that way.  You have to change your settings and hope you caught all of the automatic 'sharing'. 

Not to mention the need to sign in and out of each of my 6 sub-accounts to see IF I have mail.  It would be nice if the powers that be at AT&T would make some safety changes and get their webmail back to the clean and non-intrusive way it was before the migration but I don't see that happening.

I don't have a Facebook account and was still got an email from Facebook.

Hi Gypsy,

I find it a MAJOR privacy issue!!!  If you don't go DEEP into your settings, strangers can see personal info about you.  I don't think that is safe at all.  ATT/pby refers to it as 'sharing'.   It would be different if you had the option to select the 'sharing' options but it is pre-set that way.  You have to change your settings and hope you caught all of the automatic 'sharing'. 

Not to mention the need to sign in and out of each of my 6 sub-accounts to see IF I have mail.  It would be nice if the powers that be at AT&T would make some safety changes and get their webmail back to the clean and non-intrusive way it was before the migration but I don't see that happening.

I don't have a Facebook account and was still got an email from Facebook.

4 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 11:20:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Where in your webmail are you seeing Facebook?

Where in your webmail are you seeing Facebook?

5 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 9:01:04 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello ssemtta,

In order to see all your emails (received in the primary and sub AT&T email accounts) you may use the option of "Mail Forwarding" in the AT&T Yahoo! web mail.
To forward your Yahoo! mail to another account, use the steps available in the link mentioned below:

I would like to explain that the email that you received from Facebook, might be sent by any of your friend or family member to your AT&T email account, to join them in Facebook community.

To move such emails from AT&T web mail's Inbox in a specific folder, you need to create a Filter, so that the emails will automatically be move to the folder.

The steps to configure the Filter option in the AT&T Yahoo! web mail, are available in the link mentioned below:

I would also suggest you share your feedback about the issue that you are experiencing with Yahoo! connections (personal detail are being viewed  by others),  with Yahoo! so that they will do the needful for you accordingly.

In order to share your feedback about the same, please visit Yahoo! help site at http://feedback.help.yahoo.com/feedback.php?.src=FP

If you experience any difficulty while configuring Mail Forwarding and Filter option in your AT&T web mail, you may contact AT&T eChat support.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, or WI' area, you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:

Hello ssemtta,

In order to see all your emails (received in the primary and sub AT&T email accounts) you may use the option of "Mail Forwarding" in the AT&T Yahoo! web mail.
To forward your Yahoo! mail to another account, use the steps available in the link mentioned below:

I would like to explain that the email that you received from Facebook, might be sent by any of your friend or family member to your AT&T email account, to join them in Facebook community.

To move such emails from AT&T web mail's Inbox in a specific folder, you need to create a Filter, so that the emails will automatically be move to the folder.

The steps to configure the Filter option in the AT&T Yahoo! web mail, are available in the link mentioned below:

I would also suggest you share your feedback about the issue that you are experiencing with Yahoo! connections (personal detail are being viewed  by others),  with Yahoo! so that they will do the needful for you accordingly.

In order to share your feedback about the same, please visit Yahoo! help site at http://feedback.help.yahoo.com/feedback.php?.src=FP

If you experience any difficulty while configuring Mail Forwarding and Filter option in your AT&T web mail, you may contact AT&T eChat support.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, or WI' area, you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:

6 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2010 6:07:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi Penny,

I am aware of the forwarding option in pby but that will still leave me wondering which account has sent the mail and the need to repeatedly 'go look' to see which account sent the email and then sort the emails to the proper folder for that account when I download it to my hard drive.  That's way too much work compared to 'at a glance' way of knowing IF you had mail and which account that mail is from.

I don't have any friends that use Facebook and as mentioned, don't use it myself.  The Facebook invites were from someone that I DO NOT know.  

I have taken care of the timely process of turning off all of the 'exciting new features' on pby that promote social networking.  That is not something I look for in a webmail feature.  If I wanted to do something like that it should be my choice to initiate and not something that is automatically set up without my permission.  

I have sent many letters and feedback to AT&T regarding my displeasure and the major hassle of the yahoo webmail, to no avail.  After 12 years its unfortunately time for me to look for a new ISP, which is also a hassle, as you can imagine with 6 sub-accounts.  It's just too time consuming to work with my emails each day on the pby webmail interface.

Thank you for your thorough response.

Hi Penny,

I am aware of the forwarding option in pby but that will still leave me wondering which account has sent the mail and the need to repeatedly 'go look' to see which account sent the email and then sort the emails to the proper folder for that account when I download it to my hard drive.  That's way too much work compared to 'at a glance' way of knowing IF you had mail and which account that mail is from.

I don't have any friends that use Facebook and as mentioned, don't use it myself.  The Facebook invites were from someone that I DO NOT know.  

I have taken care of the timely process of turning off all of the 'exciting new features' on pby that promote social networking.  That is not something I look for in a webmail feature.  If I wanted to do something like that it should be my choice to initiate and not something that is automatically set up without my permission.  

I have sent many letters and feedback to AT&T regarding my displeasure and the major hassle of the yahoo webmail, to no avail.  After 12 years its unfortunately time for me to look for a new ISP, which is also a hassle, as you can imagine with 6 sub-accounts.  It's just too time consuming to work with my emails each day on the pby webmail interface.

Thank you for your thorough response.

7 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2010 2:08:22 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello ssemtta,

Thank you for replying the post.

There is an option to create a separate folder for each email account added in your one particular AT&T Yahoo! email account.
After completing the process of adding your AT&T sub accounts in the Primary AT&T email account, create filters and add your email account in the recipient filled, so that the emails will be move in the separate folders accordingly.

To check or modify filters, do the following:
  1. In AT&T Powered by Yahoo! Mail Classic, Click Options, and then Mail Options.
  2. NOTE: In the All New Mail, select Options > More Options > Filters , and then proceed to step 3.

3. Click Filters.
  4. Select the filter you wish to edit from the list on the right or choose [New Filter] to create a new one.
  5. Complete the necessary changes to the filter and click Save Changes.

If that doesn't work, you may also configure your AT&T email accounts in the email client (Windows Mail, Outlook Express,  Outlook 2000/2002/2003/2007, Apple Mail 3.x, Entourage) that you have on your operating system, there it will easy for you to check your emails at the same time with separate AT&T email accounts.

To configure your AT&T email accounts in your specific email client you may use the steps available in the link mentioned below:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573

If the email that you receive from Facebook has not been sent by any of your friend or family member, I would also suggest you to mark those emails as spam, so that you'll not receive such emails in future.

To report specific emails as Spam, do the following:

1. Put a check in the box to the left of any spam emails.
    2. Click the Spam button.

If an email message was innapropriately identified as Spam and sent to the Spam folder, do the following in order to edit the Spam filter:

1. Open the email message in Webmail.
    2. Click the Not Spam button. (SpamGuard Plus provides the option to send these Not Spam messages directly to the Inbox)

NOTE: If using the New AT&T PBY! Mail interface, mulitlpe messages can be marked from the Spam folder. Once complete, click Not Spam.

If you experience any difficulty, while configuring your AT&T email account in the email client, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnai re_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced. Please feel free to reply to the post if you have any further questions.

Hello ssemtta,

Thank you for replying the post.

There is an option to create a separate folder for each email account added in your one particular AT&T Yahoo! email account.
After completing the process of adding your AT&T sub accounts in the Primary AT&T email account, create filters and add your email account in the recipient filled, so that the emails will be move in the separate folders accordingly.

To check or modify filters, do the following:
  1. In AT&T Powered by Yahoo! Mail Classic, Click Options, and then Mail Options.
  2. NOTE: In the All New Mail, select Options > More Options > Filters , and then proceed to step 3.

3. Click Filters.
  4. Select the filter you wish to edit from the list on the right or choose [New Filter] to create a new one.
  5. Complete the necessary changes to the filter and click Save Changes.

If that doesn't work, you may also configure your AT&T email accounts in the email client (Windows Mail, Outlook Express,  Outlook 2000/2002/2003/2007, Apple Mail 3.x, Entourage) that you have on your operating system, there it will easy for you to check your emails at the same time with separate AT&T email accounts.

To configure your AT&T email accounts in your specific email client you may use the steps available in the link mentioned below:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573

If the email that you receive from Facebook has not been sent by any of your friend or family member, I would also suggest you to mark those emails as spam, so that you'll not receive such emails in future.

To report specific emails as Spam, do the following:

1. Put a check in the box to the left of any spam emails.
    2. Click the Spam button.

If an email message was innapropriately identified as Spam and sent to the Spam folder, do the following in order to edit the Spam filter:

1. Open the email message in Webmail.
    2. Click the Not Spam button. (SpamGuard Plus provides the option to send these Not Spam messages directly to the Inbox)

NOTE: If using the New AT&T PBY! Mail interface, mulitlpe messages can be marked from the Spam folder. Once complete, click Not Spam.

If you experience any difficulty, while configuring your AT&T email account in the email client, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnai re_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced. Please feel free to reply to the post if you have any further questions.

8 of 8 (484 Views)