Are constant ip address changes normal?

Are constant ip address changes normal?

I have been on AT&T DSL since Monday, and I'm averaging 3-5 new ip addresses per day.  As in, my public ip address gets a new lease 3-5 times a day.  This creates all kinds of problems as you can imagine.  My VPN drops, I lose all my SSH connections, I fall out of IRC, lose any active downloads, etc.

Is this normal behavior?  I really don't believe it's my network, as I had no such problems with my last provider.  And it has gone up to 20 hours successfully renewing the lease every 600 seconds as required (which btw is a rediculous lease timeout).  And then it will fail to renew, and will get a new offer from a different dhcp server, which it of course accepts.  I tried whitelisting a single DHCP server so that I could eliminate the chance that it is just my client having trouble differentiating which one to pull the lease from, but no other dhcp server even responds.  

For example, this morning, at 12:42, I broadcasted for a renewed lease, was offered one from 99.13.100.1, and acknowledged it.  five minutes later at 12:47 I again renewed the lease.  five minutes after that, at 12:52 I tried to renew again and this time got no reply from 99.13.100.1.  

Once I got up, I tried to force it to re-request again, using only that dhcp server, and it still couldn't get one.  The only server that would respond was 76.223.106.1.  I had to disable the whitelisting to let it generally broadcast, and then I received a reply from the 76.* server, with a new lease.

I can deal with the fact that sometimes my IP address is going to change.  If I couldn't, I would buy a static IP.  However, I don't expect it to change multiple times throughout the day.  This is a pretty serious quality of service issue.  Am I really the only one being impacted by this?

Message 1 of 9 (945 Views)

Re: Are constant ip address changes normal?

And, yesterday I went ~22 hours, and then lost it.  This time, it couldn't even renew.  After trying a number of different things, despite the properly lit lights, no connectionw as possible.  Even assigning a static ip in the 192.168.1.0/24 network and hitting the modem would give me no response.  I had to power it off and on again.

Getting very frustrated now.  It appears to hit me every morning during the 6am hour.  I can't tell if that's because I always fix it during the 8am hour, making it interval based, or if it's because there's something special about the 6am hour that makes the thing go insane.

Message 2 of 9 (916 Views)

Ok, so, I switched to a different DHCP client, and I still got bumped today, again after about 22 hours.  After digging into the logs a bit and thinking about the ip changes I'm seeing - I think what is *actually* happening is that I'm losing the PPPoE connection, and when it reconnects I get a new endpoint and thus have to get a new IP.

I switched the modem into bridged mode, and setup PPPoE on my internal endpoint.  If it still happens hopefully I'll have a more solid picture of the problem.

Message 3 of 9 (895 Views)

Switching to bridged mode on the modem and handling the PPPoE on my linux gateway resolved the problem.  It appears that either the modem's implementation of PPPoE or combination of the modem and AT&T were causing the instability.  It would lose the connection, and then of course get a new endpoint when reconnecting, which forced a new DHCP server and leased address.

Message 4 of 9 (883 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same thing is happening to me, I'm in Oklahoma.  I called and was on hold for 55minutes and just decided to GIVE UP for now...because i'd been so mad I'd probably cussed them (55 minutes plus is {word filter evasion} stupid) so anyways I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see if they can fix this....if you come up with a solution please let me know or POST it on here

Message 5 of 9 (863 Views)

sounds to me as if you have a jacked up modem. you shouldnt need to bridge in order to maintain your PPoE. as a precaution, i would still get them to have a new modem delivered/installed.
Message 6 of 9 (807 Views)

I'm inclined to agree. I'm about to call and see about getting mine replaced. While I was able to fix my other problem by moving the PPTP endpoint and using bridge mode now I'm seeing other issues.  I am seeing 1 second+ RTT times just to the other end of my PPTP endpoint, and during uploads my latency jumps all the way to 8 seconds+.  Traceroutes show it's clearly a problem with the PPTP link.

Message 7 of 9 (796 Views)

yup. im 99% certain, with a new modem most if not all of those issues will be resolved. let us know how it turns out.
Message 8 of 9 (799 Views)
Contributor

Re: Are constant IP address changes normal?

shamgar331 wrote:

I have been on AT&T DSL since Monday, and I'm averaging 3-5 new IP addresses per day.  As in, my public IP address gets a new lease 3-5 times a day.  This creates all kinds of problems as you can imagine.  My VPN drops, I lose all my SSH connections, I fall out of IRC, lose any active downloads, etc.

Is this normal behavior?  I really don't believe it's my network, as I had no such problems with my last provider.  And it has gone up to 20 hours successfully renewing the lease every 600 seconds as required (which btw is a rediculous lease timeout).  And then it will fail to renew, and will get a new offer from a different dhcp server, which it of course accepts.  I tried whitelisting a single DHCP server so that I could eliminate the chance that it is just my client having trouble differentiating which one to pull the lease from, but no other dhcp server even responds.  

For example, this morning, at 12:42, I broadcasted for a renewed lease, was offered one from 99.13.100.1, and acknowledged it.  five minutes later at 12:47 I again renewed the lease.  five minutes after that, at 12:52 I tried to renew again and this time got no reply from 99.13.100.1.  

Once I got up, I tried to force it to re-request again, using only that dhcp server, and it still couldn't get one.  The only server that would respond was 76.223.106.1.  I had to disable the whitelisting to let it generally broadcast, and then I received a reply from the 76.* server, with a new lease.

I can deal with the fact that sometimes my IP address is going to change.  If I couldn't, I would buy a static IP.  However, I don't expect it to change multiple times throughout the day.  This is a pretty serious quality of service issue.  Am I really the only one being impacted by this?

ONLY 5 times a day, how about 59-60 times in 24 hrs. ? If you call tech support thay say "it must be you r equipment" or, that's normal (NOT !). Then it will calm down and set on one iP for maybe a day. When I do a search I have been moved for City to City as ISP location, I guess this is normal also. I have a security system online that constantly drops and have complained about it, tech came checked lines said all OK to house. Should be good, NEW line installed less than 6 months ago from highway. "IT MUST BE YOUR EQUIPMENT" since I no  longer use a 2wire router ? Funny thing, it resets itself without my intervention, then might be OK for two three hours, then drop or change IP again. It's their way of getting an additional fee from users that require outside connections ($14,95 PER MONTH for static IP). I have DSL at another location, through a different ISP, no problems, but ATT says that my other ISP is not doing correct dynamic IP address changes and I might be subject to "data mining" when I told them I had double firewall and had run test on line, giving my IP to outside test they couldn't get through my router.........IT hung up !Man Mad

Message 9 of 9 (633 Views)