Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 30, 2011
10:40:06 AM
View profile
Another Linksys Wireless Router and AT&T DSL Configuration Problem - No Internet

I cannot connect to the Internet with my new Linksys e1200 wireless router and AT&T DSL Speedstream 5100 modem .  I called ATT Support twice so far.  I followed the support instructions and got to the point where support emailed instructions to me to bridge the modem setting the PPPoE configuration settings as per http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401764#fbid=cnyIFiZ_ETd.  After doing this, I got no Internet connection, and only the power and the light just next to it on the modem are on (Internet light is off).  What happened?  After spending hours trying to get this to work, I gave up.

Do I have to start all over again and reset the modem, reconfigure it and then bridge it again?  The tech support had my configuration to the point where I had Internet access, but she instructed me to bridge the modem.

I've looked through your support and found only documents that I already were referred to.  I've seen one forum reference to setting the router IP to 192.168.2.1.  Will that fix my problem?

BTW, I installed a similar wireless router to a Time Warner cable connection and it took me 5 minutes to get up and running and it was flawless.

My OS is Vista SP1.

I cannot connect to the Internet with my new Linksys e1200 wireless router and AT&T DSL Speedstream 5100 modem .  I called ATT Support twice so far.  I followed the support instructions and got to the point where support emailed instructions to me to bridge the modem setting the PPPoE configuration settings as per http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401764#fbid=cnyIFiZ_ETd.  After doing this, I got no Internet connection, and only the power and the light just next to it on the modem are on (Internet light is off).  What happened?  After spending hours trying to get this to work, I gave up.

Do I have to start all over again and reset the modem, reconfigure it and then bridge it again?  The tech support had my configuration to the point where I had Internet access, but she instructed me to bridge the modem.

I've looked through your support and found only documents that I already were referred to.  I've seen one forum reference to setting the router IP to 192.168.2.1.  Will that fix my problem?

BTW, I installed a similar wireless router to a Time Warner cable connection and it took me 5 minutes to get up and running and it was flawless.

My OS is Vista SP1.

Another Linksys Wireless Router and AT&T DSL Configuration Problem - No Internet

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2011 5:17:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Here is my personal non-expert experience with what you are describing (FWIW, maybe nothing)...

I, too, easily could connect my Linksys router to a TW cable modem but stayed up all the first night with my first AT&T DSL modem. I eventually found out that if the modem was configured to handle the PPP stuff and the router set to DHCP, then those two devices cannot have the same IP address. For me they did (192.168.1.1). I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1 and never looked back. The Power and Ethernet LEDs are always solid green. The DSL LED flashes green until  the moden syncs, and then it stays solid green. The Internet LED stays solid green. The Activity LED flashes green with traffic.

Lately, I've been playing with bridged mode for the modem and have the router handling the PPP connection. In that situation, the IP address issue doesn't matter, but I still just left the router as it was with 192.168.2.1 so I didn't have to change a  bunch of stuff in my network computers that connect to it. Everything works fine this way, too. The modem is apparently dumbed down to a hardware adapter for the router to connect to the phone line and the router does everything. In this mode, only the Power, Ethernet, and DSL LEDs are green on my Westell 6100 modem. The Ethernet LED will flash when there is traffic. And the Internet and Activity LEDs stay off all the time.

Just FYI until an expert comes along.

Here is my personal non-expert experience with what you are describing (FWIW, maybe nothing)...

I, too, easily could connect my Linksys router to a TW cable modem but stayed up all the first night with my first AT&T DSL modem. I eventually found out that if the modem was configured to handle the PPP stuff and the router set to DHCP, then those two devices cannot have the same IP address. For me they did (192.168.1.1). I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1 and never looked back. The Power and Ethernet LEDs are always solid green. The DSL LED flashes green until  the moden syncs, and then it stays solid green. The Internet LED stays solid green. The Activity LED flashes green with traffic.

Lately, I've been playing with bridged mode for the modem and have the router handling the PPP connection. In that situation, the IP address issue doesn't matter, but I still just left the router as it was with 192.168.2.1 so I didn't have to change a  bunch of stuff in my network computers that connect to it. Everything works fine this way, too. The modem is apparently dumbed down to a hardware adapter for the router to connect to the phone line and the router does everything. In this mode, only the Power, Ethernet, and DSL LEDs are green on my Westell 6100 modem. The Ethernet LED will flash when there is traffic. And the Internet and Activity LEDs stay off all the time.

Just FYI until an expert comes along.

Re: Another Linksys Wireless Router and AT&T DSL Configuration Problem - No Internet

2 of 4 (5,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 9:16:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks.  I'll try this if my third call to ATT tech support fails to get me connected.

This should not be so difficult.......

Thanks.  I'll try this if my third call to ATT tech support fails to get me connected.

This should not be so difficult.......

Re: Another Linksys Wireless Router and AT&T DSL Configuration Problem - No Internet

3 of 4 (5,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 10:37:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

This was a great answer and an easy fix.  I changed my Linksys router to 192.168.5.x and it works like a charm.    The speed of Wifi-N is night and day compared to the RG's Wifi-G

Thanks!

This was a great answer and an easy fix.  I changed my Linksys router to 192.168.5.x and it works like a charm.    The speed of Wifi-N is night and day compared to the RG's Wifi-G

Thanks!

4 of 4 (5,613 Views)