Adding a Dual Band Wireless N Router to my 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway

Visitor

Adding a Dual Band Wireless N Router to my 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway

Will configuring my 2wire gateway as a bridge, and adding a dual band wireless N router give me more bandwidth? Or, should I replace the 2wire gateway (which is Wireless G) with a new 3rd party dual band wireless N gateway to get more bandwith? I am adding new media devices to my home network which are dual band wireless N capable, and I just want to get full use of them. I currently have the highest speed DSL possible with at&t.

Message 1 of 3 (3,443 Views)
Employee

Re: Adding a Dual Band Wireless N Router to my 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway

Hi kdw5150,

You can use third party router to connect your Wireless N capable  media devises. However, connecting another router to your 2wire modem or using anothe router to replace the 2wire will not give you more bandwidth. The bandwidth you use will depend on your Internet activity and not on the device itself.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions," you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. That will help other users find this information too!
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (3,415 Views)
Mentor

Re: Adding a Dual Band Wireless N Router to my 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway

It sounds like you are referring to internal bandwidth, not internet bandwidth. If so, a wireless-N connection will give you better speeds between devices within your home.

Message 3 of 3 (3,391 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.