Internet Forums

Posted May 12, 2010
10:31:35 AM
View profile
Adding Wireless N to 2Wire 2700HG-B

I have a 2Wire 2700HG-B DSL Modem/Router.  I want to add wireless N to my network for 1 of my computers for VOIP.  The others are fine on wireless G (3 devices), or cabled (2 devices).  I want the N bandwith exclusivley for the VOIP connection to improve it's quality.  I'm not networking savvy.

I think my options are:

1 - buy an access point and plug it into the 2wire.  Use the 2wire for wireless g devices, and use the new access point for just the wireless n/VOIP.  This is the cheapest solution, but I've heard condtradictory information about whether it will work.

2 - buy dual band router or access point, and turn off router/wireless functions of the 2Wire - probably the most likely solution, but more expensive.

3 - buy a new DSL Modem/Router with Dual band and have the VOIP only on the 5ghz band.  Most expensive.  Less equipment deployed, easier to manage.

There is also the issue of Quality of Service (QoS) functionality.

It would also be nice to add Network Attatched Storage, and a print server, but the main issue is to increase quality for VOIP.

I have a 2Wire 2700HG-B DSL Modem/Router.  I want to add wireless N to my network for 1 of my computers for VOIP.  The others are fine on wireless G (3 devices), or cabled (2 devices).  I want the N bandwith exclusivley for the VOIP connection to improve it's quality.  I'm not networking savvy.

I think my options are:

1 - buy an access point and plug it into the 2wire.  Use the 2wire for wireless g devices, and use the new access point for just the wireless n/VOIP.  This is the cheapest solution, but I've heard condtradictory information about whether it will work.

2 - buy dual band router or access point, and turn off router/wireless functions of the 2Wire - probably the most likely solution, but more expensive.

3 - buy a new DSL Modem/Router with Dual band and have the VOIP only on the 5ghz band.  Most expensive.  Less equipment deployed, easier to manage.

There is also the issue of Quality of Service (QoS) functionality.

It would also be nice to add Network Attatched Storage, and a print server, but the main issue is to increase quality for VOIP.

Adding Wireless N to 2Wire 2700HG-B

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 6:16:24 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

Hello dantheman,

I appreciate the admirable restraint you exercised in your message. My sincere apologies for the time you have spent dealing with this issue.

The issue that you are experiencing while configuring VOIP connection, with 2 wire router, will be best resolved by contacting AT&T Home Networking Team and troubleshoot according to there recommendation.

Hence, i request you to call at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) when you call in to speak to an agent ask to be transferred to our Home Networking department.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello dantheman,

I appreciate the admirable restraint you exercised in your message. My sincere apologies for the time you have spent dealing with this issue.

The issue that you are experiencing while configuring VOIP connection, with 2 wire router, will be best resolved by contacting AT&T Home Networking Team and troubleshoot according to there recommendation.

Hence, i request you to call at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) when you call in to speak to an agent ask to be transferred to our Home Networking department.

Re: Adding Wireless N to 2Wire 2700HG-B

2 of 2 (1,542 Views)