Accelerator for new Dial-UP - glitches - please help

Contributor

Accelerator for new Dial-UP - glitches - please help

Migrated to Dial-Up from WorldNet at the end of April.  Deleted old WorldNet software - had not been using old Acclerator so nothing to delete in that case.

In any event, having read recent discussion regarding using the proffered new Accelerator from the att.com link (I believe the rest of the URL is "esupport/accelerator"?), I'm confused!  Can't figure out if this edition is supposed to work with "Dial-Up," or if the working edition has yet to be delivered???

I have downloaded the new (?) Accelerator, and have yet to get it working, but the problem may be obvious: when I close/disable Accelerator (because it loads automatically at Startup, which I'll have to stop it from doing, but just not at the moment), I get a dialog box that (erroneously) says it has detected that I am using a browser other than IE or Firefox, and if I exit Accelerator I should re-configure my proxy settings.

Well, in fact I'm using plain old Internet Explorer 7, and I can't figure out how to re-configure Accelerator so that it recognizes the presence of IE 7.  That might take care of all my difficulties?

Does the company that designed this Accelerator, that is, Propel, have a detailed handbook to help solve these difficulties?

Many thanks in advance for your time & energy!!!

Miss Catnip

(I grow it in a window box on my fire escape every summer - catnip actually produces the prettiest little white/pink blooms by the end of the season!  Suppose I ought to post a photo as my avatar.)

Message 1 of 8 (906 Views)

Re: Accelerator for new Dial-UP - glitches - please help

hi catnip

I have been trying to get the accel to work since the migration - everyone says that it is no longer supported - desparate to get a descent amount of speed - even to the point to which we migrated, I tried to paid propel accelerator - it was FAR from good and the technical service was terrible!!!

Message 2 of 8 (906 Views)
Employee

Hello Catnip,

I would like to explain that Worldnet ‘accelerator’ feature will not work with the new AT&T dial service and should be removed. Hence, if you have migrated from AT&T WorldNet to AT&T DIAL, I suggest you to uninstall the Worldnet Accelerator.

In case of any doubt, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.
If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (906 Views)
Contributor

Hello Penny!

Thank you so much for responding!

However, your response does NOT make any sense --- because AT&T CONTINUES TO OFFER AN ACCELERATOR FOR DIAL-UP at the URL http://www.att.com/esupport/accelerator/, clearly described as a facility for Dial-Up users, NOT Worldnet users.

In fact, at this moment it seems to be WORKING FOR ME (wow!), now that I followed the suggestion of another user and stopped the Accelerator program from loading automatically at start up (I'm on Vista, so I went into Windows Defender/ Software Explorer to stop the program from loading at startup rather than using the MSConfig feature).

Actually, I forgot all about Accelerator when I dialed-up today, and was perplexed for about 5 minutes when I opened IE7 and couldn't load any web pages.  Then it occurred to me I had to start Accelerator to access the AT&T server and start surfing.  I did have to start and stop Accelerator twice this afternoon (both using the commands on the Windows program list, and also, lastly, using Task Manager to end the program before re-starting)  before I could get it to work, but it does seem to be working now, at least insofar as I have been able to surf the 'net AND that little rocket-ship icon in the "notification tray" at the lower right of the screen IS BLINKING (!!!triumph!!!) every time I move from web page to web page.

Am I surfing faster?  Maybe, a tad.  Surfing seems slightly accelerated, but the Acclerator Performance Meter quite confidently says that if I weren't using it, I would have spent 83 minutes on the Internet rather than the 6 it tells me I have actually spent, for a total savings of 93% of my time.  Gee, that's impressive.

I'm not as confident as the Performance Meter about Accelerator's performance, but at a minimum, it's fun to pull up those graphs and ogle at all those green bars and numbers, and then imagine I have all this extra time in my life now to do other things than surfing the Internet!

I have not yet contacted AT&T eChat support for additional information, but I did want to report back on my experience today with Accelerator, and also ask if you can add any insight as to why AT&T continues to offer this software (pesky as it is) but has told its Technical Experts that the software is not offered???

Apologies in advance, I'm going to wax philosophical for a moment.

When I was a teenager, I watered plants one summer for the executive offices of a number of Fortune 500 firms, including AT&T when its headquarters were still in a lovely old skyscraper in the NYC Financial District downtown around Wall Street (at 195 Broadway).  The company AT&T seemed to me then --- maybe it's just because I was a naive teenager? --- awesome, eminent, such a glorious, distinguished firm, with such a wonderful, All-American history.  Before AT&T moved, there was a statue atop the building nicknamed "The Golden Boy.  Here is a link to a fun article by the NY Times' architecture editor, Christopher Gray, that talks about that statue, the original AT&T headquarters and how the company started & evolved.  http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/23/realestate/streetscapes-t-headquarters-195-broadway-bellwether-bui... 

Gray's article really makes me nostalgic, especially in the face of so many, many bitter customer complaints about second-rate (at best, it seems, alas) service AT&T now offers.  In all fairness, it's not just AT&T --- crassness seems to be the tenor of the times ---- but I wish someone would pick his/her head out of the money soup and say, 'Golly, life isn't just about money, good relationships matter, too!  Gee whiz, maybe I'll just break from the herd and lead the corporate world in the direction of honest work and integrity.  Integrity --- what a concept!  Think people will buy it?'

I would.

- Miss Catnip

AT&T Customer for more than 25 years, but at this rate, that can't last, alas, alas!

Message 4 of 8 (906 Views)
Contributor

Dear Kitty:

You said you're desperate for speed.  Is there any reason you have to stick with AT&T?  I have just because to switch is a hassle, and I don't like hassles.  But lack of speed with all the graphics at every website is getting to be an even bigger hassle.  I thought my only option was to go with Time Warner cable/hi speed internet, but their customers are even more bitter than AT&T's.  Some choice!

By some miraculous accident I learned that there are independent service providers all over the country - whodathunk?  So far, I have been able to identify two serving the boro of Manhattan in NYC where I live, but as I said, there are independent ISP's all over the country who can hook you up for any kind of internet service, whether dial-up or super-fast DSL services or other kinds of connections that I don't know anything about yet (e.g. one of those new-fangled services is called T1, I think, and I don't know what it is, but I think it's just for businesses, and regardless, it costs more than I want to pay).

Oh, and that's the thing about the independent ISP's - they're competitively priced, so you won't spend any more for speed as far as I can see than you have been spending with your phone company.

And no, I don't work for anybody in the business - if I did, I would know what I'm talking about.  There is a web site called Broadband Reports that is pretty much a clearinghouse for all this information, though it's not really clear to me yet what they're talking about.  I have yet to figure out how to use their rolodex to identify NYC providers, but generally speaking, if a person can read, he/she can wade through all that information and figure out how things work.

Good luck, Kitty!

-- Miss Catnip

Love them kitties!  (in fact, when I wrote that, Miss Sweet Pea, sitting on the couch pillow above my left shoulder, butted my head with hers and rolled around happily: either because she can read what I wrote, OR maybe -- do you think -- because she wants dinner!)

Message 5 of 8 (906 Views)
Highlighted

we run multiple computer off the DU account at multiple locations and anything else will be a horendous cost increase - we are a tiny struggling business and am wondering what to do - OBTY - i have tried everything suggested to get the acc to work and cant so consider yourself lucky!! And as you know ATT could care less! We ar discussing our options and not only i it a hassle to change a business email that you have had for about 15 years but we lost our website and frankly I know nothing about the ins and outs of the other systems.

Kitty lovers band together!!

Message 6 of 8 (906 Views)
Employee

Hello Catnip,

First, I want to say that I am feeling proud to be associated with an organization which has such loyal customers as you. I thank you on AT&T’s behalf for trusting us for 25 long years. I would also like to thank you for giving us your valuable feedback. We believe that we can grow as an organization and improve our customer’s experience if we keep getting suggestions, complaints and feedbacks from our customers and we are successful in implementing most of it.

We were in the process of WorldNet to AT&T migration and there were many things that came up later. Based on the number of queries we received on Accelerator through different mediums, it is now clear to us that this is quite a popular application.

I am concerned with your feedback that our services are not making you feel very satisfied.  I would love to get your open and candid feedbacks and suggestions to help us improve our services. I can assure you that your inputs would be forwarded to the right people and would be given due consideration.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 8 (906 Views)
Scholar

Message 8 of 8 (906 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.