ATT Worldnet Services

Guru

ATT Worldnet Services

Does anyone know about the elimination of the DSL Worldnet Services from ATT? I received an email stating they will cease offering this service and I will be eligible for comparable ATT services for my internet. I am trying to find out what comparable services ATT provides. It's impossible to reach anyone from ATT on the phone who knows anything about this. I tried for hours and kept getting bounced around until I finally gave up. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 173 (1,466 Views)
Tutor

Re: ATT Worldnet Services

the only thing that will be available in my area is AT&T dial up, which is not acceptable service at 56kbps. The other option is to swith to Covad at 1MBS, which is very slow compared to what other providers offer. Covan also requires a one year service contract. As of this writing, I have yet to get a human person on the line from AT&T after more than six hours of waiting time from the past month. My service was to run out by March 31st, according to AT&T. My DSL access is now off, however, apparently, AT&T has to do something with the software to clear the lines. This they have not yet done, so my new ISP is unable to install DSL.
Message 166 of 173 (963 Views)
Tutor

Yes, you understand correctly. I don't want to go to Covad because their offering is too slow and requires a one-year agreement. AT&T has now shut off the DSL, but have not cleared the lines, so I still cannot get connected by another provider. I have now been without service for a whole week, and I still cannot get a live person on the phone from AT&T. Even sending email has not helped. This issue only seems to occur if you have AT&T service in my area. With other providers, Verizon is able to take the order and go in and clear the service since AT&T DSL actually runs over the Verizon telephone lines.
Message 167 of 173 (963 Views)
Contributor

Having a big problem since end March. Any time I try to open an internet browser (Firefox of Explorer) I am immediately redirected to a Covad page and can not access any other internet pages. When I click through the Covad prompts, the links are also immediately redirected. HELP! I can't do anything until whatever redirect programs that ATT/Covad installed are removed. Can you please offer instructions about how to remove them? Resetting the browser defaults does not work.
Message 168 of 173 (963 Views)
Employee

Hello havingtrouble, Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. On two different web browsers, if all the web pages are getting redirected to a perticular AT&T Covad web site, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Covad tech support. For assistance with the AT&T Covad tech support, please call at 877-937-5288, they are open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 169 of 173 (963 Views)
Tutor

dynacube wrote:

Is it possible to have ATT set a 301 redirect on the page they took from me?

Good luck on getting an answer to that. As you can see from the discussion at http://www.att.com/t5/Internet/Good-Bye-AT-amp-T-no-PWP-no-service/td-p/4999 , I've been trying to get an answer to that for over a week. From my understanding, it would take a single line in the .htaccess file to redirect traffic from my old Worldnet site of http://home.att.net/~rdavis2 to my new site. All that I could get was the number for AT&T WorldNet Customer Care (800-400-1447) and I have been unable to get through to anyone there. They took my site down a couple of days ago. However, I have not lost much search engine traffic, possibly due to the meta refreshes that I put on my files before the site went down. I would still be willing to pay for a temporary 301 redirect but I'm not going to knock myself out trying to get an answer from AT&T. If you should hear something, however, please post the information here and I'll do the same. Thanks.
Message 170 of 173 (963 Views)
Teacher

The madness continues!

Today I get an e-mail from ATT/Covad letting me know that "MY REQUEST" to cancel my DSL service will end my service as of midnight 4/24 ... unless I contact them to continue my service.

Really ????

I was dropped by ATT DSL almost two months ago at the beginning of the e-mail porting fiasco. Lost my webpages and DSL within 12 hours of porting my e-mail address to the ATT Yahoo branded freemail. No notice ... and not even a record that I had been a customer when I called the 800#

NOW ... Covad's letting my know that I canceled my service and can reinstate if I over-ride my cancellation by contacting ATT DSL services or the 800 Customer Service #.

Unbelieveable!

I think I'll call the 800 # ... and hear yet again "I'm sorry sir, you're not an ATT DSL Customer."

At least they have that part right.

Since I posted last I've disconnected from ATT land lines, an ATT branded credit card, and of course, any ATT branded internet service. Also, all ATT branded telephone products have been removed from my home and replaced with non-ATT brands.

Life without ATT has faster ISP speeds, less overall cost, telephone service that's equally as good ... and ... satisfactory customer service.

Message 171 of 173 (935 Views)
Employee

Hello ,

Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

In order to get update about the later that you received from AT&T Covad, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Covad order department at 888-389-1217, they work from Monday to Friday between 8am-10pm ET and Saturday  8am-7pm ET.

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 172 of 173 (935 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

A quick update ... since this AT&T Customer Service disaster just doesn't want to pass quitely into the night.

After the DSL debacle I decided to disconnect from AT&T completely.

AT&T branded products went into the trash and I canceled my AT&T landline/local/longdistance serivce ... that would be very early in MARCH 2010.

I thought I was done.

Here's the deal ... they can't even get a termination of service requested by the Customer handled correctly! They transfered my # to the new service provider, sure. But I've gotten billed every month through August. I have "confirmation codes" from 800/877 calls, I have promises ... and in July I started to have robotic collection calls and threats to disconnect my service if I didn't pay my bill. Three weeks ago I got a letter from a Collection unit at AT&T and it wasn't until then that I had a phone # that appears to have rung somewhere in the USA. The AT&T collection agent listened politely to my recounting of the situation and when I offered the latest of my "confirmation codes" she was quiet for a moment and then gasped.

Three poeple got on the line as I walked through the situation and the contacts (that took nearly 20 minutes). All were in agreement that I had canceled as of early March, but there was some disagreement about when the billing should have actually stopped ... unbelieveable .... I don't care when they thought it should have stopped .. I care about it having been stopped at the end of the billing period in which I disconnected.

I have a new promise ... a new phone number to call ... and I can't wait to open today's mail, which would be the regular date for receipt of the monthly bogus billings.

Here's a global company who can bill my account instantaneously for a call I make, but can't adjust their billing system in the same 6 months!

And the salt in the wound is that every call ends with the same script being read to me ..."Thank you for being an AT&T customer. My goal is to be sure you are a satisfied customer. Have I done that for your today?"

Really??????

I'm telling everyone ... in every venue I have voice ... hang up on AT&T until they figure out how to deliver Customer Serivce in a way that actually makes a customer feel welcomed, important and appreciated.

Message 173 of 173 (935 Views)