Helpful Links

ATT Worldnet Services

Guru

ATT Worldnet Services

Does anyone know about the elimination of the DSL Worldnet Services from ATT? I received an email stating they will cease offering this service and I will be eligible for comparable ATT services for my internet. I am trying to find out what comparable services ATT provides. It's impossible to reach anyone from ATT on the phone who knows anything about this. I tried for hours and kept getting bounced around until I finally gave up. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 173
Contributor

Re: ATT Worldnet Services

did you get the e-mail yesterday about them discontinuing the PWP service?
Message 16 of 173
Scholar

Hi eddelcogliano,

You can try calling this number 800.436.8638. This is the Dial Billing department and they are open Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 7:00 pm, Saturday from 8:30 am - 5:30 pm.

Message 17 of 173
Employee

Hi eddelcogliano!

To receive accurate information about the recent PWP discontinuation alert, we recommend that you contact the Personal Web Pages Support Team at 800.436.8638, Option 1 (DO NOT ENTER CUSTOMER TN), # , Option 5. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (for Business) and 7:00 AM - 1:30 AM, daily (for Consumer).

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 173
Scholar

Message 19 of 173
Contributor

This post is long, I know, but please bear with me, because I'd really like some answers.

I've been a subscriber to Worldnet for about 5 years. I got the e-mail in December about Worldnet ending, and they would migrate me to a comparable ATT internet service, but I didn't have to do anything yet. A few weeks ago, our service went down; my wife called tech support. I'm not sure what they did, but they hooked us back up. The connection is now different. My computer now says it's connected through a local area connection rather than a PPPoE like it use to. Now, the internet experience is awful. I often get "cannot display the page" messages, but I'm able to get them after 1-3 reloads of the page. Pictures often won't show up, and loading pages is far slower than it use to be. I went through all these cookie/anti-virus/services/firewall troubleshooting steps, and it's still the way it is.

Now, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the end of Worldnet. I've been trying to find an answer, but am only getting confused. I called the help line; no one answers, I get the run around from an automated menu. I finally pressed the button to subscribe to AT&T Dial Internet since this is what Gadget's link says we should migrate to. I talked to a human who promptly forwarded my call to the same automated menu I was at before. I'm pretty mad. A message that comes on before the menu choices says I should click the help link in the e-mail I received. There's no help link in the e-mail I have.

Also, like the other members from NY, it's news to me I don't have DSL, and AT&T doesn't provide it in the area. What is Worldnet then? It goes over my phone line, but I can still make phone calls. Isn't that what DSL is? Or am I wrong? I've looked for info about AT&T Dial Internet, to find out its speed, but I can't find anything. The human I talked to on the phone (after beeping the option to sign up for Dial) wouldn't even tell me. I've liked my time with AT&T overall, but this experience is making me strongly consider finding some other service.

Does any of this sound familiar, and can anyone help with any of it?

Message 20 of 173
Employee

In order for AT&T to better converge our Internet products and to create a more consistent customer experience, Worldnet customers will be migrating to AT&T Dial, High Speed Internet (HSI) and stand-alone email services. The AT&T Worldnet Service will begin migrating accounts on February 1, 2010 and the Worldnet services will be discontinued as of March 15, 2010. Customers will obtain new service through a registration and ordering process.

For HSI Customers:

WorldNet customers who purchase HSI will be allowed to maintain the existing Worldnet e-mail accounts by using the Portal Migration Tool to migrate to a Free ATT Email Account. This account will be in addition to your standard att.net email account associated with your new HSI service.

Please click this specific Help page associated with the migration.

For Dial Customers:

Dial customers will be allowed to maintain the existing Worldnet e-mail ID(s) by using the Open Web Enrollment process. Installation CDs will be shipped as a part of the ordering and registration process.

Please click this specific Help page associated with the migration.

For additional information in reference to the migration and your current Worldnet service, please call the Worldnet Customer Care Team at 800-400-1447.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 173
Contributor

Do you know what the download and upload speeds are for Dial services? I can't find the specifications on the website.
Message 22 of 173
Scholar

Thank you for the information regarding the discontinuation of AT&T Worldnet on March 15, 2010. The email from Worldnet I received in December said I would receive another email after the first of the year with more information. I have not received a second email from Worldnet, although I know of others who have. We have AT&T Yahoo! DSL (and have had it for many years, when it was SBC Yahoo! DSL). However, we only use the @att.net email addresses we acquired when we first got Worldnet -- back when it was only dial-up! We DO NOT want to lose them! Am I to proceed with the migration mentioned in the Help page you cited for my situation (http://help.att.net/attpby.html), or do I need to wait for the promised second email from Worldnet?
Message 23 of 173
Highlighted
Mentor

@ Gadget,

you have had AT&T HSI service for several years now and still uses the old worldnet email ID, right? are you separately paying for the worldnet email ID to keep it active?

Message 24 of 173
Scholar

Yes, Worldnet had "bring your own connection" plan for small monthly fee (originally $4.95, I think, eventually $7.95) that allowed you to keep your email addresses and personal web pages.
Message 25 of 173
Scholar

Karen wrote:

In order for AT&T to better converge our Internet products and to create a more consistent customer experience, Worldnet customers will be migrating to AT&T Dial, High Speed Internet (HSI) and stand-alone email services. The AT&T Worldnet Service will begin migrating accounts on February 1, 2010 and the Worldnet services will be discontinued as of March 15, 2010.

I see your instructions for AT&T Dial and HSI but wat about "stand-alone email services". That's all I want. I just want to keep my att.net ermail addresses and nothing else. Is that possible?
Message 26 of 173
Contributor

I "NEVER* received any e-mail, and only found out about this migration on another site. I have been keeping the address through the 'bring-your-own-access' for several years. The only link that was mentioned on that site was for the Dial service, which I reluctantly 'migrated' to. Problem is, this is unnecessary as I really only need the apparently 'free' e-mail only. When I try to migrate to that, it says it can't. Do I have to wait a few days for the Dial migration to take place first? Can I clean up this mess without having to pay for dial service I don't need? Also, I thought March 15 was when things would shut down, but my web page is already gone. Luckily, I already had a copy elsewhere.
Message 27 of 173
Employee

To receive accurate information and answer questions regarding the "stand-alone email services" or "bring your own connection" plan, we recommend that you contact the Worldnet Customer Care Team at 800-400-1447 Option 2.

Employee Contributor*
Message 28 of 173
Guru

If you are an ATT Worldnet subscriber and don't want to lose your email IDs after signing up for ATT High Speed service, don't cancel your Worldnet subscription yet. Call Worldnet Billing (1-800-400-1447) and tell them that you signed up for ATT DSL and that you want to switch to Worldnet's "Zero Dollar E-mail" plan.

That way you won't be paying anything to Worldnet but you get to keep all your Worldnet stuff except your ability to dial into the Worldnet network. You can access your Worldnet services while connected to the ATT DSL network.

Message 29 of 173
Contributor

Hi same issue. I've been a worldnet att user from the beginnng days and would not give it up although I have many other e-mail options. AT&T has been the most reliable worldwide, alost as good as Compuserve before AOL ruined it. I called, on hold for 45 minutes, got a human from somewhere in the world, he sent be a link with information (see below). Although it would appear that your are now signing on to the old dial up service, I was assured that would not be the case. So, my plan is to inform all my att.net (credit cards, banks, friends, etc.), and before March 31, I will migrate to the new. GOOD SAILING. Worldnet ACP Customers: 12084 AT&T Worldnet Service - Any Connection Plan (ACP) - $7.95/mo. No dial-up usage. • ACP Customers will be directed to the AT&T Unlimited Dial service ($7.95/month) via the Open Web Enrollment (OWE) process. • ACP Customers should use URL http://www.att.net/att795 to migrate their service. • Once the service has been migrated, customers should continue to use http://my.att.net as their homepage. NOTE: The $7.95 AT&T Dial offer now includes unlimited dial access if so desired by the customer (on Worldnet, dial access was charged at .99/hour). Therefore, if the customer would like to take advantage of this, he/she must download and install the AT&T Dial Software during the OWE process. They should NOT select the "Next" button at the end of the online registration process but, instead, download either the Windows or MAC software that is made available to them on that screen. If they prefer not to use AT&T Dial for access, they can simply press "Next" at the end of the OWE online registration / migration. UPDATE: This "NEXT" button may be removed from the online / web-based user interface. Therefore, customers may download the software when presented with the option ("Windows" or "MAC") but are not required to install it if they have no desire to use Dial Up access
Message 30 of 173
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support