Helpful Links

ATT McAfee Internet Security is USELESS!!

Contributor

ATT McAfee Internet Security is USELESS!!

I am a rather technically savvy person, yet my browsers were recently hijacked by clicking on a web site I did not know was malicious. ATT McAfee Internet Security did NOTHING to protect me. My computer browsers, both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox have been taken over, and every time I do a search in the browser search bar, then click on a link in the results, I am taken to some other web site that was not my intention. I have my firewall up, McAfee regularly updates and scans, and it DID NOT protect me. I have been trying for 2 desperate weeks now to clean my computer of this problem. I have downloaded Advanced Spyware Removal and Spybot Search and Destroy from cnet.com, and you should see HOW MANY VIRUSES our McAfee is missing!! ATT, you gotta do something about McAfee. It is completely USELESS. I have uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee 5 times so far, and it never caught these spyares and viruses!! I am going back to Norton Antvirus!! I'd rather pay a little and not have headaches. Thanks for nothing ATT.
Message 1 of 38

Re: ATT McAfee Internet Security is USELESS!!

I had a similar situation in which a drive-by download fooled me into thinking it was legitimate as I had just completed running Microsoft Update.  McAfee neither prevented nor warned of the malicious software.  By installing MalwareBytes, I was able to find and remove the malicious software and restore my computer to normal operation.  I've had worse problems with Norton software than with McAfee.  No antivirus software catches everything and not all malware is based on a virus.  On a more positive note, I once had a Google search include a bad link to a reputable company that redirected me to a malicious site.  After reporting the bad link to Google, I performed the same search a few minutes later and the bad link had already been removed.

Message 16 of 38
Tutor

Okay here we go again.  I just spent the last 45 minutes reinstalling McAfee Virus Protection all over again.  If I had not cmpletely shut down my computer, I'm sure the whole thing wouldn've crashed and I would've had to restore everything from scratch for the 3rd time in the last 6 months.  I can accept that no virus protection can catch every virus or trojan, but for McAfee to be completely wiped out of my computer and me have to completely download it again is just stupid.  Come on ATT, you have to be paying them gobs of money to protect your customers, but obviously they're not.  Why can't you admit they suck and do something to protect your customers.

Message 17 of 38
Employee

Hello Coni52,

The issue that you are experiencing, while trying to install AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee, required advanced troubleshooting. Hence, I would suggest you to contact AT&T McAfee Tier 2 department 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7). They will help you accordingly.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 38
Tutor

Here we go again.  McAfee has refused to update for a week now.  I contacted online support, spent at least an hour with a tech taking control of my computer and they couldn't find the problem either.  Told me to unstall and reinstall, which I did, but it still will not update  This is useless.

Message 19 of 38
Teacher

I  have been using Norton Internet Security for the last  4 years, and the current version NIS 2010  is so far the best.   Norton offers free trials and you get a fully featured software suite to use  for 30 days.  The new version NIS 2011 is will be out in November I believe.  You can get the 2011 beta version too, for free,and test it on your computer.

Usually you can get the Norton software for  25 dollars or less, after rebates.  Staples, Office Depot, Fryes have all had it on sale with rebate offers.

I do not like the Mcafee products, as I have had similar experiences to you.  Thats when I switched to the Norton products in 2006.  Also, Norton Internet security was known as a resource hog-it slowed your computer down.  It is not anymore.

Google Norton internet security 2010, or 2011 beta, and try it.

Good Luck

Message 20 of 38
Contributor

1. Be aware that the product from McAfee through AT&T is not quite the same as the off-the-shelf version. Hence, there are  going to be differences in its performance. I have found that the off-shelf versions are better.

2. Regarding  the new google version of Norton...be aware that during the downloads, google will apply tracking cookies, and other tracking objects, and Norton will ignore them. They will be found and removed by other vendor's software though. The Norton off-the-shelf, non-google'd version is much better.

3. I have been the recipient of a few drive-by 's lately also. Keep a close eye on your \APPDATA\TEMP, Low, and Roaming files under your users\ areas. lots of attacks are focusing to that area. I am having to use 2 or 3 scanning products just to keep up....not ahead, mind you...barely keeping up.

4. Regarding non-US tech support here in the USA, it is a shame. The care factors are truly missing.

Message 21 of 38

Stay away from McAffee.  I provide technical support for a major software provider and I can tell you McAffee is the pits.  Two free A/V programs are much better, Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG.  If  you are having issues with Malware, Malware Bytes is the best.  If you have been hijacked, then it is the only one that I've seen that will clean your system.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 22 of 38
Teacher

I' m reading complaints from a year ago - and it's the same problem again in Feb. 2011!  Guess McAfee is a little slow.   Possibly beginning with a Google search, I now get full screen redirects to ads when I sign in.  Huge increase in spam in mail also.  I'm not smart enough to go into Host files and fix anything!  Called ATT and got one admission that a pop up from Yahoo telling me to change my browser was a scam.  Good thing I didn't click on it. But WHY are these things getting thru???  And why haven't McAfee caught on to them yet???

Message 23 of 38
Teacher

Installing McAfee from ATT was your first mistake, Calling ATT customer support about it was the second. Having any software associated with McAfee on your computer was your third and fatal mistake.
Message 24 of 38
Contributor

I've had DSL with AT&T for 7 years.  In that time, I've learned how to solve my own problems, as the customer service scripts do not cover difficult issues.  So I guess I should thank ATT for providing a web developer with the opportunity to cross-train as a network technician. [Relevance, as to expertise]

As for McAfee : I have not used this overbearing and very delicate piece of ... software for many years.  It was good 20 years ago; no longer true.  My own recommendations, based on 2-3 very minor infections over 7 years :

Firewall : I use ZoneAlarm.  If you initially set it up with the highest levels of protection, it is annoying for several months until fully "trained".  However, I prefer annoying for a time, over the loss of my computer.

Anti-virus : Until about 4 months ago, I used AVG. Worked great, but has recently become a resource hog.  I recently switched to Avast! and am happy.  I would recommend either one over McAfee or Norton (Norton was great when owned by Peter Norton; Symantec turned it into a less than competent resource hog.)

This is all I use, personally.  If you feel that you need a security suite, due to your browsing habits, by all means get one.  I would look into TrendMicro, if I felt that need.

Good luck!

Message 25 of 38
Teacher

I can't get updates either - and it's 6 months later.  Did you ever get it fixed?

I believe the lack of DAT updates contributed to the really bad stuff getting in - Trojans, etc. that I've finally fought off with Malwarebytes, SuperantiSpyware, TDSSKiller, and Microsoft - NOT MCAFEE!!!

Message 26 of 38
Teacher

About updates:  I just heard from AT&T (live person on phone) that the popup saying "can't update-reinstall" that does nothing and says nothing is for real and they are "pushing" the reinstall.  Click on it and nothing happens, all attempts at updating went nowhere. Turns out that the updating is for a totally new version of McAfee - by phone I removed and reinstalled and hope that will allow updates and that it is an improved version.  BUT - with no info and no way to verify the source of the popup what a bad communication to customers who are leery of scams, etc.  Why not an informational email????  Is this a sign that they needed to improve, were they listening to these messages?   I am hopeful, but watchful since the old version allowed horrors that nearly cost my sanity getting rid of.

Message 27 of 38
Teacher

Just had a big problem with McAfee not updating on a friend's computer.  I tried to help her over the phone, but finally told her to call Support.  They talked her through uninstalling/re-downloading McAfee - did not help.  Second Rep had her download a scan program that would force her computer to scan and update - did not help.  Third Rep told her she had a virus and wanted $15.00 mo. for 1 yr. to fix computer.  She called me and I told her to hang up.  I had just been at her house the previous week and had run a cleaner on her computer.  She told me that the "X" on McAfee icon had just happened that morning.  Went to her house, opened McAfee/virus and spyware scanning/ and real time scanning was turned off.  Turned it on, ran updates, then full scan of computer and she's fine now.  

Message 28 of 38
Teacher

After my experience today, I would have to agree that McAfee is useless, but so is tech support!

My problem began last night. While online I got a pop-up warning from what was supposedly my Windows 7 Home Security saying viruses were being detected in my computer. Being new to having internet in my own home and completely useless when it comes to anything technical, I panicked and tried to fix the problem, but whenever I clicked on "Remove All", I'd just get prompted to purchase the full version of Windows 7 Home Security. I ran a scan with McAfee, which detected no problem.  I tried to get to AT&T for online support, but couldn't access the internet because I kept getting warnings saying that visting this site (any site I tried) would pose a security threat to my system. Finally I got on the phone, and was actually told that it was probably just Windows using scare tactics to trick me into buying their software, but since I already had McAfee and it was detecting no issues, then I should be safe. Just to be certain, they wanted to run a scan on my PC themselves but they would first have to find a way for me to access AT&T online. Anyway, in the middle of it all we got disconnected and I didn't call back because by then it was around midnight and I was exhausted. I unhooked my computer from everything and decided to try again in the morning.

So, early this morning I called AT&T to again try to fix the problem. Once again I was told that if McAfee was detecting no issues, then I was probably safe. The lady on the phone with me tried every which way to get me to access the internet, but these warnings from Windows 7 Security kept blocking everything we tried. Finally she gave up and transferred me to another number; long wait and I hung up, deciding I'd try later. Desperate for a solution I think I next started up my computer while disconnected from the internet, and maybe chose "restore computer to an earlier setting" or something along those lines (using words like "think" and "maybe" because honestly I had tried so many different things that by then my head was spinning). That finally got rid of the pop-ups and when I connected to the internet, I was finally able to access it normally.

Upon doing some research, I found a site that described in detail everything I had just been experiencing, and of course, it turns out the Windows 7 Security was a fake! I downloaded Malware Bytes which found and removed numerous viruses, and I can only hope I'll be safe for now. But of course, after such a scary experience I'll be sure to buy another antivirus program from the store.

My huge shock is, why didn't any of the people at AT&T that I was on the phone with even get suspicious and think, "Hey, maybe this Windows thing is the virus itself"? I mean, the way it was blocking me from getting online no matter what they told me to try, that's one of the things that should've sent up a red flag! Instead they had naive me believing that Windows was just trying to get me to buy their antivirus program and I actually had nothing to worry about. Dangerous and shameful.

Message 29 of 38
Teacher

Similar to  my story.  Really recommend Malwarebytes.  Also get SuperAntiSpyware and update and run both often.  I also recommend TDSSKiller which is what ultimately rid me of the Trojan that kept me from going off of the fake security site to access other internet sites.  Yes, it is truly a nightmare to go through.  Especially, like me, without tech knowledge.  I blame McAfee for letting it get through in the first place.

Message 30 of 38
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support