ATT DSL!!!!

Teacher

ATT DSL!!!!

[ Edited ]

ATT DSL is absolute! Everytime it rains it's DOWN, and the technician comes AFTER the rain to find nothing to fix. Every night my DSL cuts in and out. The service keeps dropping and reconnecting. It's a pain when i'm streaming netflix and all of a sudden it stops. It's even more of a when I'm gaming with friends and I get kicked out of a game for no  reason! Now my DL and UL speeds are 1/3 of what it normally is.  is going on? It maxes out at 100kb/sec when 3 days ago it was 300... I can't DL a file and watch youtube at the same time?! ATT is pathetic. Gonna cancel this crap and switch to another company.

{Post edited per: word filter evasion}

Message 1 of 12 (4,122 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT DSL SUCKS!!!!

I am having the exact same issue ... my DSL connection drops every 2 minutes.  I have made several calls to support ... taken time off of work so I could be here in the mystery 12 hour windows.   COME ON ATT fix the service or get out of the game ... I had road runner for years and now I am kicking myself for switching to ATT ... what a mistake ....

Message 2 of 12 (3,729 Views)
Contributor

We switched about a month ago and have already had a service call...which the problem turned out to be outside our house, days of staticy calls and our internet connection drops on a regular basis.  I only wanted to switch to AT&T if we could get U-Verse, but I was so tired of putting up with the cable company that I took the first thing AT&T called offering.   We should be able to cancel when the service they provide is this inconsistent!

Message 3 of 12 (3,681 Views)
Highlighted

I got mine ATT dsl with Direct TV. Since I have to go back to cable, I'll have to cancel both, the easy way to cancel is just don't pay. I've took speedtest daily showing pings 200-800ms...Worse, is ping is never stable, in minutes it can go from bad to unusable. I often can't load simple pages. Least you can watch youtube, I have to pause and let it load for 30 minutes to watch a 10 minute clip.

Here is what is strange, seems when people first sign on things are ok for a short period, then bandwidth becomes very limited. I see someone else started a petition on another site against ATT false advertising. Another thing I find strange, if I reset my modem my ping will be good for about 10 minutes, like 45ms, then goes back to about 500ms average.

This is a mass complaint. Keep records of your phone calls, tech service that never solves anything more than a day and your speedtest and send it to ATT when you cancel, send the same complaint CC to your credit agency and the FCC and your congressman.

I know two others in my hood that have it, all of us having the same issues with no results. I'm moving, but I'm not paying my bill and I'm canceling anything I have related to ATT, about $4000 a year with combined services.

Message 4 of 12 (3,671 Views)
Community Manager

Re: ATT DSL!!!!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Community and sorry to hear about the internet trouble.  We have a couple of solutions that should help..

(May need to specify HSI DSL as product to view solution)

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB403006 (Troubleshoot internet)

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401526 (Connection speed)

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB407442 (Additional steps)

If the trouble continues, please shoot me a Private Message (blue envelope, top-right).

Regards,

Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 5 of 12 (2,858 Views)
Teacher

ya! same here.. I dont think any of these "basic trouble shooting TIP" would help anyone. It seems like a poor attemp to help. I had a modem provided by ATT before and it was contantly disconnecting like I said before. I thought it was the modem. It died and I got a new one, this time a third party and it still does the same thing. I have noticed that my connection speed is always HALF of what was advertised. If i reset my modem it would connect higher, but it would constantly disconnect until it settles back to half the speed.

Message 6 of 12 (2,825 Views)
Contributor

Same thing happens to me it doesn't even have to be raining.  There could be a slight breeze.  Happens all over my area.  My next door neighbor has same problems.  I had a technician tell me it is the lines all over.  Most are not completely sealed, squirrels chew on them, etc.   At&t chooses just not to replace or fix them.  This game from the actual At&t tech.  So I'd say its the real reason.

Message 7 of 12 (2,393 Views)
Contributor

ATT DSL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I lost my connection every single time I logged on.  30 bucks for 3 mb/s download speed ???????  I couldn't even watch a movie trailer without it stalling.  The technology is not much better than dial up.  The only reason I put up with the frustration for so long is because I didn't want to go through the hassle of switching from direct tv to cable.  Then ATT raised my fee $5.00/mo.  promting me to switch to cable.  I'm paying $20.00 less /mo. for tv and internet with 25mb/s download speed.  Good riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 8 of 12 (2,324 Views)
Teacher

Hey! I've put up with this long enough... I've been renting so I didn't have control over my internet... But I just can't deal with this anymore. I was disconnected for 40 mins today, now I'm finally reconnected at HALF my bandwidth... ususally I will reset my modem to get it faster but I'm just happy I am online right now. What other companies did you switch to? Thanks

Message 9 of 12 (2,234 Views)
Contributor

I have had the same problems for several years- wind, rain, breezy, whatever.... all equals no connection. The answers are always the same- old lines, squirrels, too far from the main box in the neighborhood. We have had services calls by every department, sometimes the same guy- 3 times! and no reliable answer--- I think these guys just tool around for a paycheck doing absolutely nothing because they KNOW IT CAN"T BE FIXED!!!!!!! And don't even get me started on speed--- I think my old 2400 baud modem back in "92 was faster

I am looking for the best solution. I live in So Cal just outside of LA, you'd think this would be easy. sheesh!

Message 10 of 12 (2,180 Views)
Teacher

Oh man... I can't finish playing a single COD game cause every 5 mins I get disconnected...But I've figured out the trick.. I'm paying for 3mb/sec... I've found that if I connect at anywhere near the speed I am PAYING FOR, I get constant disconnections!!! Now before I play I have to constantly reboot my modem until I get a connection that's at 1/3 my bandwith THEN I don't get disconnected! What's up with that? It's like ATT won't deliver what I've paid for. I get either disconnections OR I deal with lag. What a scam.

Ya i'm currently looking into other companies. Anyone know of other ISPs with similar price ranges and BETTER? Please I would really like to know.

Message 11 of 12 (1,843 Views)
Contributor

Unfortunately I am going through the EXACT same problem.  I think it is time to get the Attorney General for my state and the FCC involved.  AT&T does not care about customers unless there is something greater for them to lose.

Message 12 of 12 (1,791 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.