AT&T ports are full, they don't want my money?

Highlighted
Contributor

AT&T ports are full, they don't want my money?

Hello, I have been trying to get Internet service for several weeks now. When entering my address into the "check availability" website it claims it is not available. After asking the neighbors, the majority of them do in fact have AT&T dsl (I mean all neighbors... North, south, east, west, in a garden home community). After spending several hours digging around, somebody at AT&T said the ports were full. This is absolutely absurd, the cost of installing more ports would surely be offset by the monthly charges of several new customers. Anywho, I MUST have Internet due to my job. Our local cable provider comes to the stop sign perpendicular to our road about 50 feet away. I have taken the day off today to walk door to door to ask all of he neighbors if they would prefer charter cable services over AT&T's dsl. Several of my neighbors have already claimed they would prefer the faster speeds of cable if they extended the coverage. My hopes is that building a petition of several potential customers for our cable company will make AT&T free up some ports, or lose some customers. Surely a neighbor has moved and disconnected service to free a port, but AT&T will not even have the decency to send a tech to check. I am typing from my phone, so please excuse any typos as my AT&T wireless data plan gets charged even more since I can't use wifi. Oh AT&T you sure do know how to make money!
Message 1 of 11 (2,903 Views)
Former Moderator

Re: AT&T ports are full, they don't want my money?

Hello Jer4202

Thank you for taking interest on our products and please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. We appreciate the effort you have exerted in order to have our AT&T DSL Service though we have  a great challenge this time in providing you the service. An AT&T box called Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) was placed to all areas covered by AT&T. This is where we placed all your ports and changes were made here for technical purposes. There is only a certain amount of ports in  a DSLAM and we cannot over populate it to prevent technical problems in the whole service area. The best thing to do now is to get in touch with Sales department to get an accurate information with service availability. Please feel free to contact our Sales department at 1-888-757-6500, open Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm EST and Saturday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST  if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and (866) 722-3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. They are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 2 of 11 (2,902 Views)
Contributor

I also have been told the ports are full.  Customer Service has at least not been helpful - a couple have been downright rude.  I desperately need DSL internet to take some online classes and in connection with my job.  I was told if I knew someone who was disconnecting their service I should be able to get connected.  A neighbor is disconnecting at the end of September.  If I request service on the day she orders a disconnect, could I possibly obtain service.  I know of numerous people in my area who would want DSL if it should become available.  DSL is within a couple hundred feet from my location and it is just so frustrating that no one can offer any suggestions or an approximate date I could hope to receive DSL.

Message 3 of 11 (2,902 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello Southernpearl,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced and thank you for bringing this issue to our concern. With regard to that concern, It would be best to contact our Sales Department for them to provide you a definite answer to that question. It might be that the service activation is in a fist come, first served basis or there might be some exceptions to it. You can also ask them if then can place you over a waiting list for DSL service in your area so that they can set a line for your once the port is available.

It would be best if you would contact our sales department regarding this matter. You can reach them at the number 888-321-2375 between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday EST. Just choose the option for sales department.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to post your reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 4 of 11 (2,902 Views)
Contributor

AT&T who are you kidding??? "Contact the Sales Dept.".... they do absolutley NOTHING!!! I have been at the same address for 3 years now and have been trying to get DSL service through AT&T and still have not been able to get it. Even though people not even  a mile down the road are able to. I think its completely ridiculous that you can't create more ports or substations or whatever may be needed in order to accomadate the amount of people that are willing to pay for the service!! I am in desperate need of having DSL at my home due to the fact my employer will be sending me home to work very soon!!!

Message 5 of 11 (2,902 Views)
Tutor

ATT loves to appologize but does little to solve problems on their end...

Message 6 of 11 (2,887 Views)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  I had dsl for 6 years and when a someone moved from the house, they disconnected it instead of chaning the name.  When I tried to reconnect , I was told all of the ports were full.  It has been 5 months now, and I called once a week for a few months, and now I am up to calling everyday...sometimes multiple times a day.  Every person says something different.  Some say my address has been "disqualified" and some say that disqualification doesn't exist.  Some say the put me on a "waiting list," and some say a waiting list does not exist.  Some say they are going to put in a request for them to open more ports, and then the next person says that that type of request doesn't exist.  I now have a list of names that is up to 30 people that I have spoken to. What's going on??? I have no other options.  AT&T is a monoploy in my area.  NO other company services this area.  Now what am I supposed to do???

Message 7 of 11 (2,107 Views)

I love these generic "auto"-responses on the forums. As useless as actually calling AT&T.

Message 8 of 11 (2,104 Views)
Mentor

I hate to bump this old thread but just wanted to see if anyone has been able to get ATT to do anything?

I am trying to get faster DSL service - currently have 3 Mbps down. Elite and U-Verse have not been available.

ATT is no help at all. I have talked to sales, customer service, retention, etc...

Message 9 of 11 (1,860 Views)
Contributor

I am interested in opening these old posts as well.

I am in the same exact position except I had ATT services before I was accidentally disconnected & my port given away. No consideration was given for this being a mistake and I have not had phone or internet for weeks now.

I have called the "sales" department everyday and no one can give me a straight answer either.

It must say "apologize & stall" on that part of the sheet tacked to the cubicle they are in.

I want to know if I am on a waiting list, what position am I in? Am I next in line, are there 50 people in front of me, etc.

Why is the service capped in my area and what do we need to do to open another one?

I would search out other options, but I don't have any.

-S

Message 10 of 11 (1,852 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 11 of 11 (1,692 Views)