(AT&T High Speed Internet Elite) Slow speed

Contributor

(AT&T High Speed Internet Elite) Slow speed

I have a problem with the Elite package. The Internet speed is very slow, I usually have 500kbps download speed sometimes even worse, but the info showing on the website is 6.0Mbps, upload 768 kbps. I'm quite confuse what happened with my internet. Any idea how to solve this? I'm using a LAN wire on AT&T 2 wire Gateway 2701HG-B ( router + modem )
Message 1 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Teacher

Re: (AT&T High Speed Internet Elite) Slow speed

What helped me was changing my DSL filter. Unplug your filter in the room where your DSL is. Basically plug your telephone cord FROM the modem directly into the wall. Check speed then...
Message 2 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Employee

Hello HoKwan Yip,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing slow speed issue with your AT&T DSL services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

1. Check your computer
      Reboot by turning your computer and modem/router off and then back on again. Simply rebooting solves most    

connection problems.

2. Check your web browser
          * Clear the cache (temporary internet files) in your web browser .
          * Clear the cookies in your web browser .

3. Check your connection

* Make sure DSL line filters have been installed  for all devices using the phone line.
          * Measure your connection speed at our speed test site.

4. Try the AT&T Self Support Tool
        Our AT&T Self Support Tool detects problems and resolves connection issues.

Additional Steps

If the above steps did not improve your connection speed, try these additional steps:

* Scan your computer for infections. Make sure your antivirus and antispyware applications are up-to-date and also 

run a full-system scan.
    * Make sure you are only running one firewall. Also try disabling your firewall to determine if it's causing your slow  

speed.
    * Disable any peer-to-peer or other applications running in the background that may be using up your bandwidth.
    * Make sure your wireless network is set up for optimal performance. Keep your wireless gateway/router away from

physical obstructions. Place the gateway/router in a central location, at least 3 feet away from other appliances.

If the slow speed issue persist, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.
If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat.
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Contributor

My speed test result : Download = 4.510 Mbps. (IT SHOULD BE 6Mbps.... T.T BUT MY ACTUALL SPEED IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 1Mbps) Upload = 611.99 kbps. I'm very confused the download speed showed on connection test page compare to my actually speed. I'm sure the file that I downloaded and my firewalls are have no problems, because I was using comcast internet service just before the AT&T. Any ideas? BTW, There is a Router/Modem setting page "http://192.168.1.254/", are there any options that I can turn on so I can make the speed faster?
Message 4 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Teacher

HCGxKaLiBeR wrote:
My speed test result : Download = 4.510 Mbps. (IT SHOULD BE 6Mbps.... T.T BUT MY ACTUALL SPEED IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 1Mbps) Upload = 611.99 kbps. I'm very confused the download speed showed on connection test page compare to my actually speed. I'm sure the file that I downloaded and my firewalls are have no problems, because I was using comcast internet service just before the AT&T. Any ideas? BTW, There is a Router/Modem setting page "http://192.168.1.254/", are there any options that I can turn on so I can make the speed faster?
Wait, you test results showed 4.5M? If you have 6.0, that's the most you will get probably at your address via DSL.
Message 5 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Contributor

what about my REAL speed? 500-600KB/S is my actual speed... If the speed really go up to 4MB/S, I will be REALLY IMPRESS.
Message 6 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Employee

HCGxKaLiBeR wrote:
what about my REAL speed? 500-600KB/S is my actual speed...
If you are getting that on the downloading test (via a download, FTP, etc.) then you would be getting full speed. Most speed tests typically report between 4.5 to 5.1 respectively.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Contributor

its 6.0 mbps ( megabits)  not MB/s (megabytes). 6.0bps is about 750kbs, so your speeds are almost cap.

Message 8 of 10 (12,822 Views)
Former Moderator

Message 9 of 10 (10,977 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 10 of 10 (10,979 Views)