Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 12, 2010
11:12:43 PM
View profile
AT%T FAKE EMAIL RECEIVED?

I received the following email from AT%T and need to know if it is truly from AT%T from an gmail email address?
I thought AT%T will never ask for a passwoard, credit card information and my personal date.
Please advise ASAP.
GerdaH
Thu, August 12, 2010 10:19:16 PM 
Dear AT&T Internet Service Member
Account Center <accountcenter@mail.com>
Add to Contacts
To:  

Dear AT&T Internet Service Member,

An attempt was made on our domain servers from two different locations, South Africa and Malaysia, to steal your email account details from our system. So, we are sending you this email, to reconfirm your account details manually, because, we are making changes to our system within the next 48 hours. To ensure that, your account is not affected or interrupted by this changes, you are immediately advice to provide the following information to prevent your account from being interrupted during this system changes. Please fill the form below to enable us secure and safeguard your account manually from being interrupted during this system changes. If your account is not verify manually and transfer to our new system, you may lose your account permanently.

Email Address:

Email Password:

Type of Credit Card:

Card Number:

Expiration(date/month/year):

Name(as it appears on the card):
Authorization code:
Date of Birth:

NOTE: AT&T Internet Services ensures that your private information is safe and secure with us. So, you don't have to worry or panic about your security, because your optimum security is our priority.

Warning: If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, you may lose your account permanently.The purpose of this verification is to prevent you from losing your account because, we are making changes to our systems within the next 48 hours, and transferring all your account details to our new system for security purpose.

Sincerely,
Your AT&T Internet Services Customer Care Team

© 2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.

I received the following email from AT%T and need to know if it is truly from AT%T from an gmail email address?
I thought AT%T will never ask for a passwoard, credit card information and my personal date.
Please advise ASAP.
GerdaH
Thu, August 12, 2010 10:19:16 PM 
Dear AT&T Internet Service Member
Account Center <accountcenter@mail.com>
Add to Contacts
To:  

Dear AT&T Internet Service Member,

An attempt was made on our domain servers from two different locations, South Africa and Malaysia, to steal your email account details from our system. So, we are sending you this email, to reconfirm your account details manually, because, we are making changes to our system within the next 48 hours. To ensure that, your account is not affected or interrupted by this changes, you are immediately advice to provide the following information to prevent your account from being interrupted during this system changes. Please fill the form below to enable us secure and safeguard your account manually from being interrupted during this system changes. If your account is not verify manually and transfer to our new system, you may lose your account permanently.

Email Address:

Email Password:

Type of Credit Card:

Card Number:

Expiration(date/month/year):

Name(as it appears on the card):
Authorization code:
Date of Birth:

NOTE: AT&T Internet Services ensures that your private information is safe and secure with us. So, you don't have to worry or panic about your security, because your optimum security is our priority.

Warning: If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, you may lose your account permanently.The purpose of this verification is to prevent you from losing your account because, we are making changes to our systems within the next 48 hours, and transferring all your account details to our new system for security purpose.

Sincerely,
Your AT&T Internet Services Customer Care Team

© 2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.

AT%T FAKE EMAIL RECEIVED?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 9:52:43 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

AT&T will never ask for your password. This is not a legit email, please delete it.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

AT&T will never ask for your password. This is not a legit email, please delete it.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: AT%T FAKE EMAIL RECEIVED?

2 of 5 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 10:27:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

pametaz,

Thank you very much, I thought so and wanted to make sure.

pronet

pametaz,

Thank you very much, I thought so and wanted to make sure.

pronet

3 of 5 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 1:21:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I also received an email I believe to be fake.  Do you not have an email address for customers to forward this to, so you can not only confirm the validity of them...but also investigate the origin?  If you don't, you certainly should.  Thanks!

I also received an email I believe to be fake.  Do you not have an email address for customers to forward this to, so you can not only confirm the validity of them...but also investigate the origin?  If you don't, you certainly should.  Thanks!

4 of 5 (1,236 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 1:39:53 PM
(0)
Employee

jmarkiemark wrote:

You could probably send it to abuse@att.net (I believe that's the address) but again trying to shut down the origination is rather difficult these days. Most of these come from places like china, belgium, and other places where laws and law enforcement is rather lax in these regards, or they have bigger fish to fry than internet junkmail. Anyone will tell you the best offense, is a good defense, and vice versa. The best defense you can have is just up and mark it "spam" and delete it.

jmarkiemark wrote:

You could probably send it to abuse@att.net (I believe that's the address) but again trying to shut down the origination is rather difficult these days. Most of these come from places like china, belgium, and other places where laws and law enforcement is rather lax in these regards, or they have bigger fish to fry than internet junkmail. Anyone will tell you the best offense, is a good defense, and vice versa. The best defense you can have is just up and mark it "spam" and delete it.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (1,231 Views)