Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 26, 2008
11:37:19 PM
View profile
2Wire sucks!?

I've had U-verse for a month now and it is vastly superior to the Charter service I had before, however, I've had multiple issues with my wireless internet.  I'm now on my 3rd RG.  I use 3 different computers and when the wireless works, it's great, when it doesn't, it doesn't work on any of the three.  There aren't any network configuration problems, it's all or nothing.  No issues with phone or TV service.  When we switched to an sbc dsl at work we had to go through 3 different 2wires as well, is there a problem inherent in these devices?

Just had the new RG installed tonight and everything is fine, just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.   

I've had U-verse for a month now and it is vastly superior to the Charter service I had before, however, I've had multiple issues with my wireless internet.  I'm now on my 3rd RG.  I use 3 different computers and when the wireless works, it's great, when it doesn't, it doesn't work on any of the three.  There aren't any network configuration problems, it's all or nothing.  No issues with phone or TV service.  When we switched to an sbc dsl at work we had to go through 3 different 2wires as well, is there a problem inherent in these devices?

Just had the new RG installed tonight and everything is fine, just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.   

2Wire sucks!?

13 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2008 12:01:27 AM
(0)
Expert

It's not just you, but we seem to be few and far between (or people are staying mum).  I had the RG changed out 3 times and experienced what you have.  Ended up with another router for wireless and turned off the WAP in the UV RG. 

I recently turned the UV WAP back on and am having no problems wirelessly for my iPod; laptop isn't working now so I can't test.

Maybe someone or something in your area is interferring...have you tried NetStumbler (free download) just to see if others are using the same wireless channel as you?

Neighbors moved away and I think they had a baby monitor that was messing with my wireless big time, as it seems to be working now...just a thought....

It's not just you, but we seem to be few and far between (or people are staying mum).  I had the RG changed out 3 times and experienced what you have.  Ended up with another router for wireless and turned off the WAP in the UV RG. 

I recently turned the UV WAP back on and am having no problems wirelessly for my iPod; laptop isn't working now so I can't test.

Maybe someone or something in your area is interferring...have you tried NetStumbler (free download) just to see if others are using the same wireless channel as you?

Neighbors moved away and I think they had a baby monitor that was messing with my wireless big time, as it seems to be working now...just a thought....

Re: 2Wire sucks!?

2 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2008 9:29:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

Network engineer here, have dealt with many routers in my day :smileyhappy:  The 2Wire is not bad, but like anything else it has it's quirks.

If you are having issues with wireless there are two things you can do that will make more difference than anything else:

1.  Switch the channel.  If you are on the default of channel 6 (like all your neighbors) that will be a heavily congested channel.  Try channel 1 or 11... (FYI, channels 1, 6, 11 are the only three that don't overlap)

2.  Switch the encryption method to WPA2/WPA.. Not only is WEP not very secure but I've SEEN cases where using WEP can cause the router to crash when you have several machines on wireless.  It's a firmware bug more than anything, but I digress.  If WPA2/WPA setting doesn't work, try using WPA (more compatible of the 2) and see where that gets you.

Network engineer here, have dealt with many routers in my day :smileyhappy:  The 2Wire is not bad, but like anything else it has it's quirks.

If you are having issues with wireless there are two things you can do that will make more difference than anything else:

1.  Switch the channel.  If you are on the default of channel 6 (like all your neighbors) that will be a heavily congested channel.  Try channel 1 or 11... (FYI, channels 1, 6, 11 are the only three that don't overlap)

2.  Switch the encryption method to WPA2/WPA.. Not only is WEP not very secure but I've SEEN cases where using WEP can cause the router to crash when you have several machines on wireless.  It's a firmware bug more than anything, but I digress.  If WPA2/WPA setting doesn't work, try using WPA (more compatible of the 2) and see where that gets you.

3 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2008 9:42:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, I had actually done those things, channel 11 looks pretty clean here and I switched the security right away.  The new device seems to be working fine, I just found out from an associate (shoulda thought of this) that the RG's are routinely 'refurbished' and then carried around on trucks for days/weeks before they go into service, no surprise that some 'quirks' happen.

I also heard that AT&T is switching to Cisco units soon. 

Thanks, I had actually done those things, channel 11 looks pretty clean here and I switched the security right away.  The new device seems to be working fine, I just found out from an associate (shoulda thought of this) that the RG's are routinely 'refurbished' and then carried around on trucks for days/weeks before they go into service, no surprise that some 'quirks' happen.

I also heard that AT&T is switching to Cisco units soon. 

4 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 6:12:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

kudukid wrote:

FWIW, I was having problems with the wireless dropping and would have to reset the RG to get it back up.  I think it was my two 2.4 Ghz cordless phones causing the problem.  I had one about 10 ft. from the RG and another in our bedroom about 25 ft away.  Changed both to 5.8 Ghz and have not had the issue since.  It's been running clean for about a month now. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

kudukid wrote:

FWIW, I was having problems with the wireless dropping and would have to reset the RG to get it back up.  I think it was my two 2.4 Ghz cordless phones causing the problem.  I had one about 10 ft. from the RG and another in our bedroom about 25 ft away.  Changed both to 5.8 Ghz and have not had the issue since.  It's been running clean for about a month now. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 3:17:35 PM
(0)
Guru

Ender519 wrote:

We have not been able to access a wireless connection on any of our laptops for two days now.  If it does come back, it is only for a few minutes.  How do you do the suggestions above?

Thanks

Ender519 wrote:

We have not been able to access a wireless connection on any of our laptops for two days now.  If it does come back, it is only for a few minutes.  How do you do the suggestions above?

Thanks

6 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 3:34:14 PM
(0)
Guru

I found the link to change the settings.  I switched to channel 1 and WPA2-PSK.  I'm not sure if that is the correct authentications but WPA2/WPA was not available in the drop down.  I was immediately able to connect after the change. 

Thanks

Message Edited by JiminSTLouis on 12-28-2008 05:34 PM

I found the link to change the settings.  I switched to channel 1 and WPA2-PSK.  I'm not sure if that is the correct authentications but WPA2/WPA was not available in the drop down.  I was immediately able to connect after the change. 

Thanks

7 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 3:36:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

JiminSTLouis wrote:

Ender519 wrote:

Thanks

Since you don't currently have a wireless connection to the gateway (I'm assuming it won't connect at all), you'll need to connect  a PC directly to it to change the settings.  Once you're connected, try going to http://homeportal or http://192.168.1.254/ .  From the resulting screen, click the home network icon/tab at the top.  On the next screen (in the Status at a glance box) look for the Wireless Settings heading.  Under that, click the edit setting button.  The wireless options that you want to change can all be found there.

JiminSTLouis wrote:

Ender519 wrote:

Thanks

Since you don't currently have a wireless connection to the gateway (I'm assuming it won't connect at all), you'll need to connect  a PC directly to it to change the settings.  Once you're connected, try going to http://homeportal or http://192.168.1.254/ .  From the resulting screen, click the home network icon/tab at the top.  On the next screen (in the Status at a glance box) look for the Wireless Settings heading.  Under that, click the edit setting button.  The wireless options that you want to change can all be found there.

8 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 3:37:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

JiminSTLouis wrote:

Thanks

You beat me to it!  Glad to hear you were able to get connected.

JiminSTLouis wrote:

Thanks

You beat me to it!  Glad to hear you were able to get connected.

9 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2008 10:15:38 PM
(0)
Guru

Just to throw this out there, but I was having problems with my 2 wire for a few days while I was in the middle of moving.  Got tired of it and moved over my Linksys WRT300 (Wireless N) and hooked everything up through that router.  Turned off the wireless on the RG and had a straight shot from the RG via ethernet to the linksys, set it to DMZ+, and no probs whatsoever.  I found the interface for the 2wire left a little to be desired and I was able to fine tune the linksys to better suit my needs.  Your mileage may vary, but if you don't like the 2wire wireless, swap it out for something a little more dedicated.

I have my whole house running from my linksys (including a BEFSR41 router I am using as a switch) and it's rock solid.  The RG never hiccups to the WRT300 and that is all I want it to do.  I also had done what was previously suggested and have my signal going over WPA2/AES on Channel 1. It's more than adequate for security.  If someone can get passed that, then they deserve to have a peek into my network.  Look what your neighbors are running and set yours accordingly.  If you want to play even more you can download the latest dd-wrt firmware and nuke your neighbors signal by boosting yours beyong FCC guidelines :smileywink: Not that I have done anything like that, but dd-wt really lets you get the most of out whatever box you are running.

Best of luck,

-=Scott=-

Just to throw this out there, but I was having problems with my 2 wire for a few days while I was in the middle of moving.  Got tired of it and moved over my Linksys WRT300 (Wireless N) and hooked everything up through that router.  Turned off the wireless on the RG and had a straight shot from the RG via ethernet to the linksys, set it to DMZ+, and no probs whatsoever.  I found the interface for the 2wire left a little to be desired and I was able to fine tune the linksys to better suit my needs.  Your mileage may vary, but if you don't like the 2wire wireless, swap it out for something a little more dedicated.

I have my whole house running from my linksys (including a BEFSR41 router I am using as a switch) and it's rock solid.  The RG never hiccups to the WRT300 and that is all I want it to do.  I also had done what was previously suggested and have my signal going over WPA2/AES on Channel 1. It's more than adequate for security.  If someone can get passed that, then they deserve to have a peek into my network.  Look what your neighbors are running and set yours accordingly.  If you want to play even more you can download the latest dd-wrt firmware and nuke your neighbors signal by boosting yours beyong FCC guidelines :smileywink: Not that I have done anything like that, but dd-wt really lets you get the most of out whatever box you are running.

Best of luck,

-=Scott=-

10 of 14 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2008 8:39:27 AM
(0)
Guru
switching to WPA-2/WPA, and getting rid of ALL 2.4 GHZ phones in the house, plus changing wireless channels solves the problem about 99.999% of the time...
Message Edited by wase4711 on 12-31-2008 08:40 AM
switching to WPA-2/WPA, and getting rid of ALL 2.4 GHZ phones in the house, plus changing wireless channels solves the problem about 99.999% of the time...
Message Edited by wase4711 on 12-31-2008 08:40 AM

11 of 14 (2,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 9:16:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

It seems as though it was interference from wireless speakers in my surround sound, I forgot they were even wireless!  I removed the wireless card in the surround sound to troubleshoot and, voila, problem found.  Had to move the RG to another room and run ethernet back to the DVR, pain in the **bleep**, but it's been three days now with no trouble.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone's help! 

It seems as though it was interference from wireless speakers in my surround sound, I forgot they were even wireless!  I removed the wireless card in the surround sound to troubleshoot and, voila, problem found.  Had to move the RG to another room and run ethernet back to the DVR, pain in the **bleep**, but it's been three days now with no trouble.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone's help! 

12 of 14 (2,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 9:44:32 AM
(0)
Master

so do u take back the "sucks" part ?

:smileytongue:)

so do u take back the "sucks" part ?

:smileytongue:)

13 of 14 (2,086 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 10:11:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

To be fair, I did include a question mark after sucks...  ;-)

I've switched most of the blame to the techs though, three came out and replaced RG's, not one of them mentioned wireless interference, I got all the info from this forum and my resulting research.  

To be fair, I did include a question mark after sucks...  ;-)

I've switched most of the blame to the techs though, three came out and replaced RG's, not one of them mentioned wireless interference, I got all the info from this forum and my resulting research.  

14 of 14 (2,086 Views)