Helpful Links

2Wire and laptop not working

2Wire and laptop not working

I recently signed up with ATT for my internet and am completely sorry I did so. I have a 2Wire router/modem and have had nothing but connectivity issues with it since day 1. I have had to hardwire my tower into the router which is exactly 3 inches away from my wireless card in my tower and still have way too many times the web page I'm trying to load doesn't seem to want to load, i click on it again and there it is, have to do this for just about every page I try loading And with my laptop which is usually used in the room adjacent to the room with the wireless router, I usually get kicked from my connection within 15 to 20 seconds. I have the exact same equipment I had when I used cable internet with absolutely no problems, which is why I am considering going back to Time Warner, Roadrunner, much better connection, service, etc, etc.
Message 1 of 13
Employee

Re: 2Wire and laptop not working

Hi mizzle54!

I am really sorry if you are experiencing connectivity issues. I have read your two other posts and it seems that both wired and wireless connection to your 2wire gateway keep on disconnecting you from the internet. You have also mentioned from your other posts that you already tried all the possible solutions provided by Akee.

Please provide answers to these questions so that I will be able to assist you further.

1. Is there a light in your modem that blinks green or red whenever you got disconnected from the internet?
- The DSL light in your modem determines if you are getting a DSL signal. If it blinks, it means that you are losing synch. Here is a link that I have posted on this forum regarding the possible reasons for intermittent synch: http://attdsl.lithium.com/t5/Internet/Internet-disconnects-randomly/m-p/1971#M398

2. What error message/s are you receiving when you got kicked off?

3. Is your 2Wire gateway has already been replaced?

4. What speed package do you currently have?

- It is also possible that your DSL line cannot handle your current speed package. You may consider lowering it down.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13

I check the link that you sent and none of the reasons listed apply to my situation. I do not get a specific error message on my laptop, mostly it's when I am gaming and am ingame for 10 to 15 seconds and then get kicked. When I try to access the webpage the message I receive is "Cannot access web page" and then I click again and it comes up, does it every time. Yes the 2wire has already been replaced, a tech came out and put a filter on my phone jack and I have the 6.0 package. My next question to you is what penalty do i get charged for canceling my account??
Message 3 of 13
Employee

Thank you for the prompt response, mizzle54.

Since you already tried all the possible troubleshooting steps except for lowering the speed of your internet connection. I would suggest that you may consider to downgrade your speed. Your DSL line might be experiencing high attentuation rate or the excessive loss of the DSL signal that is why your connection is going on and off. One of the biggest factors affecting line attenuation is your distance from the Central Office.

Regarding your concerns in cancelling your DSL service, you may contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk by clicking the link below:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13
Contributor

When my family first bought the 2wire, we could only get "Limited or No Connection" on our laptop, even though it said the signal was excellent and we could be right by it. Mom said she moved a wire around or something and it worked. I just bought a new laptop for college and it can't connect to it, either. I unplugged it and made sure everything was right about 80 times now the past three days, turned things off and on, retyped the encryption key and password on my laptop, and nothing will work. Everything is plugged in correctly, but the wireless light won't come on. The Ethernet light will be solid and then start flashing, but the wireless light continues to stay off. I don't know why. Obviously that's the problem (since the laptop will connect to other connections), but I don't know how to fix it. It's not in the instructions that came with it and I am getting seriously aggravated.

Message 5 of 13
Contributor

Okay, so I just checked and it connects like normal to the old laptop, but I'm still only getting limited connection to my new laptop. The wireless light is now on. What is going on? Shouldn't it connect equally to both?

Message 6 of 13
Employee

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If you are able to access your wireless internet connection and you are still getting "Limited or No Connection" error. In order to resolve this issue, please follow these steps mentioned below:

1. Please click on Start.
2. Click on Control Panel.
3. Double click on Network Connections.
4. Right-click the current connection and select Properties.
5. This will bring up the Network dialog box. Please click on the General tab.
6. Please uncheck the checkbox called "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity".
7. Click on Save.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the issue persists. It is recommended that you contact AT&T technical voice help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7). They will help you and troubleshoot to their recommendation.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 13
Contributor

This may not be relevant in this case but I'm just letting people know that when you have connectivity issues, be sure to FIRST TRY UNPLUGging your modem for a minute and replug.  This solved the issue for me two months ago, and again today, when my wireless laptop stopped connecting (my PC did not have this issue).  I had to spend $29 (for "support plus") two months ago to find this out--too bad the initial AT&T tech wouldn't tell me this for free!!  I just want to get the word out... :smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem.  Mine constantly kicks  different devices off periodically.  My phone, Wii, and Both laptops.  Been doing it since it was "successfully" set up.  I'm going to try disconnecting the power and see what happens.  Plus I'd love to change the name and password on the router... any tips? this one hasn't been the easiest experience.  I used to like At & t...  Being in a small community there aren't many service choices, and At&t has been the best here in the past.   Compared to the local cable co. , but now I'm even starting to doubt.

Message 9 of 13

Hello Singingdrummer,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

A wired network is the best way to get the maximum possible download and upload speeds because your computer is connected directly to your gateway via an Ethernet cable. While this method offers consistent high speeds, it is not necessarily convenient for running multiple PCs and laptops within your home. Fortunately, there are ways to increase the speeds on those computers that you wish to run wirelessly. Installing a wireless home network requires some basic equipment. You will need a wireless gateway, and wireless adapters (USB or PC Card). You must also consider where to locate the gateway in your home, how to keep it secure and how to reduce interference from other appliances. Finding the best location for the gateway will maximize its speed.

If you have a large number of devices connected wirelessly to your personal network, see if there are some devices that you can either shut down or perhaps connect via Ethernet cable to the back of the gateway.

This simple step will off load wireless traffic through a direct connection into the box. Most gateways have up to 5 ports available for this purpose. There are a lot of factors that would cause your equipment to get disconnected from your wireless network. It might be possible that there are other electronic devices sitting right next to your DSL modem/router that is interfering with your wireless signal and kicks your wireless devices off your wireless network. What I could recommend is to isolate your DSL modem/router in an elevated area away from electronic devices so that you could get rid of these electromagnetic and radio frequency interference.

Most current routers/gateways come in B, G/B or G band (recent gateways even have B/G/N band), meaning that they broadcast their signal to devices like PCs, cameras, iPhones, and others within a certain range.

If you know that the devices you have in your home all accept G band signals then you might find faster speeds and longer reach for your wireless connections by having your gateway broadcast in G band only. If however you find that some of your wireless devices no longer work after you make the switch, you may have a B band device. Options include either upgrading that device to G or, resetting the gateway to a B/G broadcast in order to still use that device. Check with your neighbor.

You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.

You may experience weak or dropped signals if a cordless phone and wireless gateway share the same frequency channel or if two gateways sharing the same frequency channel are located relatively close to each other. A potential fix for this issue is to change the channel, thereby reducing frequency interference. Trial and error testing may be required to find the right channel for you.

Please refer to the link below for complete information on how to maximize your home network experience.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401971

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing AT&T where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Message 10 of 13
Contributor

Thank you for the help.  Some of that was quite helpful.  I'm trying the steps that could possibly apply.  I have had the wireless network set up from the first day, and everything connects (but only for a short time, which tells me it COULD be outside interference.   I don't know until I take those steps.  I have a hunch though that it's the router itself kicking off my different electronics, because I'll have to re-enter my password (which I'm having problems personalizing) right after I've connected from my iPhone.  The Wii will connect, and then be kicked off quickly too. And in the middle of using either lap top they will switch connections.  My Router is already elevated.  I just have to isolate it from a couple of electronic devices.

Thank you so far.  Dunno if it will fix it.  I just know that I'm not going to pay for additional tech support on an item that hasn't worked properly since I got it.  So if we can all fix this problem without extra $$$ I'll continue to use At&t.  I've been a customer for other products for years...  So far (besides Direct TV screwing me on a bill once) you all have been golden.  I don't want that image to change in my mind.  Like I said before there are few choices for service around here, and comparitively you all are the best.  I hope that that doesn't change.  I just want the stuff I pay for to work and be worth the money.  I think anyone can agree with that.

Message 11 of 13
Teacher

wohoo another example of fine 2wire router construction

Message 12 of 13

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support