Keep in mind that the number of people you can have in a group text message depends on whether everyone's on an Apple® device, an Android® device, or there's a mix:
• If everyone's on an Apple: There's no limit.
• If everyone's on an Android: With Advanced Messaging from AT&T, group chats can have up to 100 people. Otherwise, groups can be up to 20 people. Learn more about Advanced Messaging.
• If there's a mix of Apple and Android devices: You can have up to 20 people.
If you can't send or receive a group text message, try these quick tips:
• Switch your device off and on.
• Check your messaging settings to make sure you have Send as SMS and Group Messaging turned on.
• Turn Advanced Messaging off and back on if you're on an Android.
• Reset your network settings.
You can send an email message to anyone with an AT&T wireless number that will be received as a text message on their AT&T phone or device.
To send a text message as an email, enter your contact’s email address in the recipient field instead of a phone number. Then, create and send your text message.
Picture and video messaging uses Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) to send and receive audio, video, and picture messages.
To use picture and video messaging:
• You must have a picture and video messaging-capable wireless phone.
• You must be on an LTE or GSM network supporting GPRS transport.
• Your phone must be on and in a data coverage area to receive the picture or video message.
• If the phone is off or out of the coverage area, the message will be stored for up to 72 hours and delivered when the phone becomes available.
To troubleshoot picture and video messaging, visit Device Support:
• View tutorials and videos to learn how to use messaging, including saving attachments. Note: Make sure the device you want to troubleshoot is the one selected. If it isn't, change the device before you begin troubleshooting.
• Use our tool to guide you through steps to fix issues with picture and video messaging.
AT&T Messages lets you back up and sync your messages in the AT&T cloud so you can keep the conversation going from your phone, tablet or smartwatch.
With AT&T Messages, you can:
• Send and receive text, picture, and video messages from your tablet.
• Continue the conversation when you switch devices.
• Back up your text and picture messages in the cloud.
Rich Communication Service (RCS), our Advanced Messaging experience, offers features like read and delivery receipts, "is typing" notifications, large file transfers, and group chats. Advanced Messaging with RCS is available for a growing list of popular smartphones. Look for more phones to be added in the future.