Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Thu, Mar 14, 2019 4:40 AM

price increase - shame on you directv now

i will cancel my account as a direct result of your price increase.  you should honor agreements with your existing subscribers.  sure, you could be dishonorable and be driven by greed but as a direct consequence, i will be moving to hulu + live.  everyone should check it out!  $44.99 for 60+ channels!  thanks for wasting my time at&t!

Responses

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

From what I gathered, existing subscribers are allowed to keep their current plan and price.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Nope.  In part...

Starting today, DIRECTV NOW℠ is offering new packages, PLUS and MAX. Each package has a different channel lineup than what you currently have, and both include HBO®.

Just Right is yours to hang on to even though it is no longer available to new customers. However, because programming costs continue to rise, this package will be increasing $10/mo beginning with your 04/18/2019 payment.

As a current AT&T wireless customer, you will still receive your monthly discount and premium channel with your Just Right package on us.

Sincerely,
Your DIRECTV NOW Team

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Oh, bummer, I hadn't seen that yet. Good to know! I'm already shopping around anyway. May consider going back to Sling.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

...and there’s no stated time period that you can keep your old package, until conversion to one of their new (big $$) DTV streaming packages. Also no guarantee that channels won’t just disappear, as packages and pricing are subject to change at any time DTVN chooses. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

^^^ that was very helpful. I have many services that as a loyal customer I am grandfathered into including price. All the while, as a customer I’m free to leave whenever I want. These businesses I speak of adopted the philosophy of having some business is better than having no business and rewards customer loyalty showing appreciation for customers who came in and helped their business grow when they desperately needed it at the inception. Instead they put a plan into place similar to a bait and switch. They get you on as a customer with a reasonable price then when they think they have you, they hike up the price and believe you will stay out of sheer convenience. Not today AT&T.

By the way the service isn’t that great to begin with. I regularly get error messages saying content not available, issues with my guide and don’t let me begin with the cloud DVR. Don’t let them fool you when they say it’s a free service and a beta version. Just bc you slap “beta” on it forever doesn’t mean it absolves them of making it run properly. Hulu + Live offers a “free” 50 hour cloud DVR in their $44.99 plan with 60+ channels. DirecTV Now offers 20 hour cloud DVR that does not work properly.
VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@PhoneCoJoke as for now we get to keep out plan with a $10 price increase which is still cheaper than hulu live considering the channels were getting (if you have the go big promo) and i get to keep hbo for $5 instead of $15. 8F5F5860-59D4-4F4E-AE0F-E843BFA220C9.jpeg

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

How is it still cheaper? I can say “considering what you’re getting” and have a completely different subjective view of that. $44.99 with Hulu + Live is LESS than what I will be paying. That’s the math. Go take a look at their channel lineup and tell me what must see channel you think you’re missing out on. Plus you get the other regular Hulu service with your plan. I already have HBO service and don’t pay a cent for it through another service so no this isn’t helpful. But keep drinking the DirecTV Kool-Aid.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

...with 16 live feeds of showtime, one doesn’t get cheated on the add-ons with Hulu, never could say that with DTVN. 

VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@PhoneCoJoke Here’s the math. Hulu live tv is 44.99 plus dvr is 9.99 and multi screen 9.99 for a total of 64.97 or bundle dvr and multi screen for 14.98 that brings your total to 60.97. Theyre missing discovery, BET, MTV, AMC, OWN, VH1 (just to name a few that we watch in our household) but hulu has my other channels in add ons for destrination America, DIY, lifetime, science for another extra cost. so I’m still in the $60+ range for less than 100 channels. My daughter is in college and she has the Spotify with hulu plus showtime for 4.99 total not each so i have access to all of hulu on demand and showtime. 

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

@VIPER31415 

The $44.99 Hulu Live TV includes the 50 hour cloud (works) DVR. The 200 hour plus commercial skip sort of feature for the $9.99 extra. 

VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@Anonymous i done the free trial and my total is still more than directv now for what i have (GO BIG PROMO PLAN). I added the unlimited screens because it only comes with 2 screens and in my home we stream 3 devices and for some reason it added the cloud dvr that i did not select but might b able to remove after the trial and may bring the price down a bit. 825B9F1A-940F-4DC2-8E4C-9DB016B39277.jpeg

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

I got the same email, and of course, will be staying on our original plan as long as possible. Once that's no longer an option, it'll probably be YouTube TV or Hulu.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

@VIPER31415 @You frequently stream 3 screens at the same time? Because if they're not all streaming at the same time, you don't need the extra fee. That's just for simultaneous streaming. If you already knew that, my apologies. Just wanted to make sure ppl know it's not the total number of screens that will be streaming at some point that matters, only how many are streaming at the same time

VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@Fakeleadman yes I already knew that and we stream 3 devices at the same time. My daughter has her own tv, I watch tv as soon as I get home and when my wife gets home she goes in the room and watches her channels/shows. Everyday we’re streaming 3 devices at the same time watching live tv or dvr’d Programs. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

P.S. Everyone, let's be civil with each other! We're all hacked off at DTV Now, so let's just keep our righteous anger directed at them and not each other... Everyone has valid suggestions for other services to try, no need to rip on each other for those suggestions. Fair enough? Now, back to the DTVN bashing....

Get started...

Ask a new question