Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
M

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 3, 2020 1:41 PM

HBO is gone

When I bundled a few years back, I was set up for hbo for life. Hbo is gone today. What’s up?  

Responses

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

3 months ago

Since this is an AT&T TV Now topic, I'm assuming you're talking about the Plus option for $65.  

That option was changed in April.  HBO was removed and the price was dropped to $55.  To get HBO with your Plus package now, you need to get the $10 monthly add-on.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

3 months ago

@chriggsiii - there are a number of AT&T promotions that offered "free" HBO (not necessarily "for life" but as long as the related service was contracted).  Most of these were as promotions for various AT&T Unlimited wireless plans, and were not directly related to AT&T TV (or its predecessor DirecTV Now), but at times were offered through a "thin" version of the service to customers that didn't have another AT&T video service.

@mwren - How were you using the HBO service - through HBO Go?  If so, AT&T killed off HBO Go as of August 31.  However, most people who got HBO (including as far as I know all who got it through AT&T - whether paying directly, through a TV subscription, or as a promotion) got upgraded to HBO Max, and can use the HBO Max app to get all HBO content plus additional content.  The only problem with that is that the HBO Max app is currently not available on all the platforms the HBO Go app was - specifically, not on Roku or Amazon Firetv/FireStick.  (This is because of a fight between AT&T and Roku and Amazon over financial issues - more or less, how much AT&T will pay them to allow the app on their devices.)  So if you were using HBO Go on one of those devices, you currently have a problem.  You may be able to cast/Airplay from an Android or iOS mobile device, however.

If you were using the linear channels on WatchTV or some other AT&T video service, that should still work.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

3 months ago

jrandomuser, your post triggered a question.  I currently have the AT&T TV Now Plus service, and I have elected, so far, not to get the $10 HBO add-on.  I have a Roku, a Fire, a 'Droid phone and a Windows 8 computer with Chrome browser.  If I were to change my mind and decide to get HBO, you're saying I would not be able to take advantage of that on the Roku or Fire?  If I've understood you correctly, does that mean I could cast it from my phone to my ChromeCast or cast it from my computer to my ChromeCast?

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

3 months ago

Right now there is no HBO Max app available for Roku or Fire TV. (I'm sure they exist and are ready to release, but Roku and Amazon haven't agreed to terms with AT&T over this.   The latest rumors I've heard have to do with the cut of advertising revenue Roku wants from the upcoming ad supported version of HBO Max, Amazon wanting to merge Max into Amazon's Channel system on the Fire - so they have more control and access to user data - while AT&T wants just their standalone app, and both wanting a bigger cut of signups.  It is likely that there will eventually be a compromise of some sort, but neither side seems terribly willing to make a move, so it may take quite a while.)

The list of devices currently supported for HBO Max is here.  According to that, you could indeed cast from a mobile device or computer.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question