Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
J

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 15, 2020 9:01 PM

Constantly being sent to collections for an acct I haven't had for over a yr

I want to understand why I am constantly receiving a collection notice from a company that I haven't had an acct with for over a year. I paid in FULL my last bill before canceling and I still recieved a bill a month later, no worries I paid it. Two months later I recieved a bill for $3.25, $3.25!!?? I call a d was told that a billion dollar company cannot absorb $3.25 so I was forced to pay it. 6 months after canceling I recieve a debt collection letter stating I owed over $200 for an acct that I haven't had for 6 months. I contact (Edited per community guidelines)hole AT&T and crawl through all the red tape to get it resolved. Now, over a yr after I have canceled I recieve a collection notice stating that I now owe (Edited per community guidelines)hole AT&T $240!!?? Can anyone explain why I am constantly being harassed by this horrible company? What a horrible (Edited per community guidelines)ing company! If you're reading this cancel everything you have with this company. They are the (Edited per community guidelines)ing worst! I will never, EVER have anything to do with AT&T again. If I lived in BFE and all they had was AT&T I wouldn't own a TV.

Responses

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

a month ago

When you cancel AT&T TV before your 2 year contract is up, you have to pay an early termination fee. $240 sounds about right if you cancelled after 1 year of service. So always read the fine print before you cancel a service that has a contract.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I was not under a contract so there was no fine print to be read. Did you read my full post or did you just skim it? It pure harrassment and I'm now seeking legal advice. I will not stand for this.

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

a month ago

I read every word. But had to do a lot of deduction to get the full picture.

First, you're in an AT&T TV forum. So that means you must have either AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW. Since it's impossible to have a balance on a pre-paid service like AT&T TV NOW, you must have AT&T TV. That service has an early termination fee like I said. You said you had the service a year ago, then cancelled. AT&T TV DOES have a 2 year contract and did not exist 2 years ago. So you must have had the service for less than 2 years, hence would still be under contract when you cancelled. Even though your bill was for that final month's service, you would later get billed for the early termination fee, approximately $240.

The other possibility is that you DON'T have AT&T TV and have simply posted in the wrong forum. In that case, you may want to post in the correct forum for the service you actually have. However, that's not going to accomplish anything since we're just other customers in this forum who don't have the power to fix anything. But we will offer what advice we can. Personally, I hate AT&T even more than you do. So I want this to come out in your favor. Problem is by the time a debt is sold to a collections agency, it's no longer an AT&T issue. The agency paid some fraction of your debt and then assumed it themselves.

I suggest you gather all the written evidence you can and send it to the agency via certified mail along with a letter stating that you dispute the debt. If you get a (Edited per community guidelines) involved, that will cost thousands more than the sum they're trying to collect.

I completely understand your frustration and the fact that you may not want to engage in a discussion with a random stranger on the internet who is only working from educated guesses and can't fix your problem. I wish you the best of luck.

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question