Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Jul 8, 2018 3:02 PM

$35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased in August.

So their $35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased to$40 a month even though they are not supposed to increase the price. I spoke with DirecTV Now chat and a manger and they said they don't know how they are going to fix the price to go back for grandfathered in plans.

Responses

sam321

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

2 years ago

Agree; that's never going to happen.  Bundling is a money-maker for AT&T and other providers.  They are all going to continue raising prices to whatever the market will support.  AT&T (and other providers) care about the bottom line, and the great majority of their customers will continue to pay the increases.  The few who complain on forums and who cancel their subscriptions are "small potatoes" to the providers.

When our DTVN special ran out several months ago, we cancelled.  We did not go to anything else; we just cancelled TV altogether.  We thought we might miss it, at least a little bit, but we don't.  Instead of watching commercial-laden TV, we now spend our evenings visiting with neighbors, reading, listening to music, and participating in hobbies.  When we really want to watch something, we run over to our local library and check out one of their many DVDs.  We get our news via radio. 

Cable, satellite TV, and the various streaming services are all expensive now.  But unlike utilities (that are also going up), TV is not a necessity.  We chose to give up TV and haven't looked back.  Our only regret is that we did not do this years ago.

We also thought that we had cancelled the automatic notifications to this forum, but we apparently forgot and got several notifications this evening.  We just unsubscribed, something else you may want to do if you cancel your DTVN.

rhemy1

Scholar

• 

38 Messages

2 years ago

They will be going up. ATT always does this ever since their grandfathered data plans. They hoodwink you into buying into their services and then they continually increase prices after promising not to. Sometimes it’s just better not to deal with a company that continually plays games with the fine print to trick you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

They are cheating!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Next step ... they'll probably phase out the "Go Big" plan and force us into one of the new plans ... WITHOUT our "discount"!  Smiley Frustrated

VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@BIGMJH maybe so but for now I’m going to enjoy it until that day comes not to mention that I’m still getting hbo for $5 instead of $15. 

E6C8BDCE-67D7-4CB5-8773-182EDA29A0A1.jpeg

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This is such a nasty violation of terms, or at least expectations.  The price has now gone up 43% in about 2 years for the original grandfathered in account holders.  It seems part of this price increase is related to offering HBO, but I wouldn't say offering that programming is "reasonable" enough to justify another price increase.  [Edited to comply with Guidelines]I know I will likely cancel my subscription if my monthly bill goes up again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I have cancelled it. I never wanted HBO and I was not asked if I wanted it. I would have never signed up in 2016 if I had known that it is just a scam. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Well look again. I just received my “updated bill” starting April 12th...a $10 hike this time, a $5 hike last time.
Go Big or GO HOME. So sad to have such a lie imposed on me as a “founding father” when the channels didn’t match the voiceovers but I continued to pay my $35+ fee. AT&T, I’m shocked. I have Great antennas that will serve me well. The only channel I will miss is Bravo. Really, shame on you, a )10 increase??!

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

And now it's $50 a month. That's a $15 increase now for the go big plan since I signed up. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

So they raised all these in July 2018? And now In March raising another$10.00 on the plans.

That doesn't bode well for this streaming service from direct TV now. I thought I was getting a cheaper alternative to satellite but looks like nothing had changed. This service will keep going up just like satellite till it becomes unaffordable just like satellite.ridiculous

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

2 years ago

...and they all will keep going up. I am not happy either but they all will raise their prices. At least no contract and we can move around when we want.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Yep.  And so the long slow screwing begins.  Just like the cable channels...."but we are only passing on the charges".  Cut the cable and start all over again with endless price increases, more limited services and....yep...more outages and downtime.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Yep...and so the long slow screwing begins.  Grandfathered?  what?  wow? we're sorry?   up the charges and blame the content providers.  Sounds like the cable company that we just "cut the cable" from a couple of years ago.  Time to look at YouTube or Hulu again.  But then, they will just follow suit.  

VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

2 years ago

@chil1210 yep. Hulu went up on their prices on February 26th this year. For me sling seems the way to go for my budget plus they carry most of my channels. You also get more premium channels 9 showtime channels, 6 starz and 1 free EPIX drive-in channel but No hbo since they’re dish network and are beefing with att this moment. I use HD antenna for my locals so I don’t need to hunt for the streaming provider that carries my locals but that will be my route if I were to leave. For now I’m going to ride this wave until they cancel my promo, remove channels, go up on the price again or someone else can give me the same channels or more than I got now for a lesser price. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I was one of the fools who signed up on day 1 when they started offering service.  They had on their website and on the signup that the $35 was forever, would never be raised as a thank you for early subscribers.  They lied. They cleaned up website and the only thing they have so far continued to grant us in their so caring but lying heart is the discount that the $35 was based on at the time.  That too will go away as their service continues to degrade and their only response is to keep increasing prices for offset loss of business.  I too am leaving and will even pay more as I do not care for their ethics.

Get started...

Ask a new question