AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Need help understanding your bill?
jice's profile
jice
20th Community Anniversary
100% warp speed!
Celestial 50!

Scholar

• 

113 Messages

Thu, Sep 22, 2022 4:41 AM

Will I be charged an upgrade fee (new iphone 13 mini)

I am an AT&T customer updating form an older iPhone.

OK, I decided I like the mini form factor and so buying an iPhone 13. If I buy the phone at Apple, I have the choice of them activating it with AT&T or getting it without any activation. Price is the same. BTW, I notice that all the other carriers give a $30 discount if I were to choose one of them as a service provider.

Say I want to keep things simple, and buy without activation. When I put in my existing SIM, it should work (tested the SIM in a friend's iPhone 13). 

Will I be charged an upgrade fee? Or is there no fee if I keep the same phone and same plan and just swap the SIM?  

Do folks recommend buying without activation or with activation? I plan to restore my new phone at home from a local backup. And to keep both phones for a bit to make sure it's setup as I like. I only need one phone to be on the AT&T network.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

2 months ago

If you buy the phone without activation there is no charge for switching your own SIM card or switching the esim into the new phone.  Of course it is then also unlocked for any carrier, and will not lock  to AT&T

jice

Scholar

• 

113 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks for the above @formerlyknownas 

If I go ahead and convert my existing SIM to an eSIM, is that also no charge? Seems that Apple and ATT have a process. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.9K Messages

2 months ago

There is no charge for converting your physical sim to an esim.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.