Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jun 2, 2015 7:20 PM

Why is there a charge to change your phone number?

I'm moving out of state next week and wanted to change both of my numbers to that state's area code.  I see there's a $36 charge which in my case will be $72.  Why is there a charge in the first place?  My previous carrier didn't charge for number change. And several other carries don't charge either and if they do it's $15 which is a more reasonable rate.  So can someone explain why there is a charge and why so much? I really dont want to be stuck with an out of state number.

Responses

ATTMobilityCare

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

5 years ago

Hi there! @NJmom2002  thanks for posting your question. 

We charge the fee to recover the operational costs associated with processing the change, issuing a new number, and updates to our system and your equipment.

Thanks!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

OK how much exactly does it cost for operational costs and etc?  Seriously?  Do you pay workers extra per hour to change a phone number? And also from what I have been reading my bill is going to be prorated and charges split between numbers?  What is being prorated since service isnt being cancelled.  This charge is ridicoulous especially when you have to pay for every single line you have. I can't imagine what customers with more than 2 lines have to go through.  Very upset customer right now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Att has start charging for everything and the fees are ridiculous. I've been this company for 13 years when they were Cingular Wireless. Someone was calling me all times of the day and night, and I informed AT&T or my problem. I still had to pay the charge number fee. I've been thinking about transferring my services to Verizon. It's frustrating because I have four lines and two tables with them. And the customer service has started to suck badly!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

AT&T is a total rip off! To charge a good loyal customer to change a phone number and stay with your current plan and make no other changes is just another way for these companies to rip off hard working customers who actually pay their bills and ask for nothing. It's not a difficult process and your employees ( whatever country they are in) are paid so let them push a button and change the number! To charge a customer is ridiculous and your company is obviously wanting to lose and really doesn't care about customer loyality . With so many companies to choose from, it's obvious you will lose more and more people. AT&T must be looking to reduce their customer base because they are a money grubbing company .. We all should change carries who encourage customer satisfaction and not just another way to abuse us financially! For $36.00.. Really is it worth ripping us all off? I will be changing carriers. One less person to deal with!
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@TN37069 Some people are going to change there number every time they breakup with someone... Or have some creditors come after them. 

They're going to have to hold that number for 6 months (a year?) before giving it to someone.

It is their job as a corporation to make money...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If I upseen phone calls & my wyfe & I have a loyal client for 20 year why should we have to pay anything when there's an offer with other carrier for rebates if we switch for the same service

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

They don't care about you, they care about the money. It's always about the money.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@NJmom2002 wrote:

OK how much exactly does it cost for operational costs and etc? Seriously?  Do you pay workers extra per hour to change a phone number?

It doesn't matter. It's what they decided to charge.

All the charges you get on your phone aren't always based on things that you decide they should be based on.

My previous carrier didn't charge for number change

But obviously they had other issues or you'd still be with them...

This charge is ridicoulous especially when you have to pay for every single line you have. I can't imagine what customers with more than 2 lines have to go through.  Very upset customer right now.

You don't have to pay for any lines, you can keep your number. You are choosing to pay for this.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Can someone get my number from atat widout my permission 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

2 years ago

@MaYrIe344 wrote:

No but someone could port your number if they have your account info. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Hello, I have 2 question, I'm a new AT&T customer, I change my phone number 5 times inside the 30 days of activation, it has a extra cost, second if I make the same after the 30 days activation what is the cost $ 36, each time that I did, thank you

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@mereceditas wrote:

Hello, I have 2 question, I'm a new AT&T customer, I change my phone number 5 times inside the 30 days of activation, it has a extra cost, second if I make the same after the 30 days activation what is the cost $ 36, each time that I did, thank you

FIVE times?!?

I've never heard of it being free in the 30 days of activation.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Its free. Should be free. Operational cost my (Edited per community guidelines). Takes 2 minutes. I know this for a fact because I use to do it all the time and it was free for our customers. I call (Edited per community guidelines) all the way around. 

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question