Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jul 10, 2018 3:38 PM

Whatsapp

I recently purchased a data plan through AT&T for a trip to Europe. The plan gives me 1G of data and $0.35/min for phone usage. My question is this: While sending a text from Europe to a number here in the US is that number note on your call log on your monthly bill. When I was in Mexico a couple years ago I was using SMS texting and all numbers in which I used were listed on my call log. Will this happen when using Whatsapp?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

2 years ago

Whatsapp is a separate message system from ATT. Whatever you send through WhatsApp will not be on your call or text log. To ATT, it is just data usage. The international plan you bought includes unlimited texting. You don’t need to use WhatsApp, you can use the regular texting app. Regular texts will be on your text log.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Jinbman

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

7 months ago

Unfortunately this answer, while it should be right, is not.  Yes, WhatsApp calls can at times (unexplained as to why sometimes and not others) WILL get charged to your long distance at extremely high international fees (if international) with no notice, no way to avoid it, and no explanation.  It’s pretty unethical if you ask me, since WhatsApp sends audio data just like any other audio conferencing software (skype, signal, FaceTime) but while those others don’t ever end up as long distance changes, WhatsApp does.  I was very frustrated trying to deal with it with customer service today, as nobody I spoke with had the slightest understanding of how this could be possible and they all blamed it on me, claiming that I forgot I made an international call, or that someone must have done it on my phone while I wasn’t looking.  What a crazy story to cover up the fact that you just don’t know, and your company doesn’t care, about the error.