Need help understanding your bill?
Enavili's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, October 27th, 2017 7:39 PM

What does whatsapp charge for international calls?

(mobile post-paid, USA)

Just had a chat with AT&T representative and it left more questions than clarifications. Worst of all, it also left a hole in my pocket since we're been charged to international calls we never did.
Issue: we found charges for international calls in our latest bill. We recognize the number called, but we never call international, we always use whatsapp and/or facetime.
Here's what 1st AT&T agent told us (copied/pasted from the actual chat):

Ken: Using whatsapp with cellular data will count against your cellular data
Ken: That is why you've been charged for INternational Long Distance
Ken: I was able to verify that the International Long Distance charges on your bill is valid due to
using cellular data while calling even using 3rd party app
Ken: The time it will not be counted against your data plan is when you're using Wi-Fi
Ken: I would love to clarify this for you. If you're using cellular data using communication
applications, it will count against your data plan unless you're using a Wifi.

So, using whatsapp to call international will co$t money. And, the agent VERIFIED that the charge is for using a 3rd party app. That would explain the charges... even though... we've always complained that whatsapp doesn't connect when we're not on wifi... it just doesn't work... we thought its a lock in the app or something alike but it just doesn't work without wifi. Now they say it does and they VERIFIED IT.

Now, here's what minutes later ANOTHER AT&T representative wrote:

Rosendo - Supervisor: If applications such as Whatsapp were used, there will be no Long
Distance Charge as it will be taken as Cellular Data usage
Rosendo - Supervisor: Which means those calls went through regular calling
Rosendo - Supervisor: As that kind if error does not occur in our service
Rosendo - Supervisor: Only calls made through the pre-installed calling application of the
phone will be charged for Long Distance Calling
Rosendo - Supervisor: If third-party applications that use only data or Wifi to call, these
charges will not appear on your bill

So... basically it confirms everything that the previous agent said only completely the opposite, I got a sensation of walking on a mobius tape... the same conversation leads to one conclusion and then exactly to its opposite.

This is really confusing, and worst of all, expensive since they charge for the calls. Each agent has a justification for the charges even though both agents use opposite arguments.
Did I mentioned the fact that the phone user doesn't even know how to dial internationally?

To turn a confusion into a mystery is very easy, all I did was to ask the supervisor to confirm if the calls were made using an app or the regular phone system... and voila:

Rosendo - Supervisor: I apologize but as much as I would like to verify that, for security
purposes, we are unable to see what applications were used for your privacy as well

Well, that's what you got for talking to a supervisor!! At AT&T the supervisor has LESS power than a regular agent.... since Ken was able to VERIFY that the call was made using a 3rd party app, while the supervisor can't even check.

I wish they had the same system for the charges... charge you xx at the begining of the bill and then charge you the opposite (-xx) at the end.

Finally I asked for a phone or address I can contact to escalate the matter and... of course:

Rosendo - Supervisor: We do not have a mailing address for any specific department

In the end they got me a weird PO box.

So, in the end, we're been charged for calls we didn't make or maybe we made with whatsapp, which nobody can verify (for our safety) but that have been accurately verified as made using an app. We just have to pay, that's for sure.

Does anybody at the forum has a better alternative for contacting AT&T management or so? I found some TV stations (univisa, telemundo) have departments that like to investigate these matters but I would like to exhaust direct communication first.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Same thing happened to me three months in a row, At&t says is WhatsApp fault they don't take charges off from bill.

Solution:

I took my 5 lines to Tmobile, now I'm paying $160 Tax included all unlimited, before I was paying an average of $400 a month with at&T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It keeps happening with me to. I think it is time for a consumer complaint. I wonder how many people keep paying the extra charges as they do not realize the errors.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Finally I wrote and send a letter to the CEO's office and after some days got a call with some apologies and the promise to refund me for those charges. The refund appeared in my new bill. Thanks

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Contact the FCC !

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Wvry other month AT&T charges me for using Whatsapp! And no matter if I call they always has an excuse. I did request a block for international calls other than usin 3rd party apps and also I uave my “wi-fi calling” off to prevent any incident, but still AT&T continue to charge high! 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I have had this issue several times while calling from Viber to Viber on iPhone. I use both iPhone and Android devices but the charge only appear on iPhone device. Has anyone had this issue with Android (Samsung)? just wondering.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So, Att or verizon, they are all regulated scammers and will steal your money. They will take it in 4 seconds and tell you a credit will appear in 1-2 billing cycle, why is that? I'm in business and I give refunds sometimes and its instant.....

Moved to Tmobile from verizon after 18 years of agony, verizon has great coverage but billing is a complete rip off. Tmobile is spotty, when it works, its great, but drops calls all the time and service is slower than they say it is. But our monthly bill went from $230, down to $120 flat for 4 lines. With that, I'll take a dropped call or two everyday.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Some are saying this is only happening with their iPhone. Check and see if you have WiFi assist on for your iPhone.  If on turn it off immediately. The phone will use cellular data if it determines WiFi is weak even if not. I can’t say this is the actual issue, but that’s my hunch. Go into your phone’s settings, find cellular, and once there, scroll down and turn of WiFi assist. Hopefully that helps but no promises. Very sorry some of you got charged for simply using WhatsApp. Just awful. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

The same thing happened to me: I'm being charged voice rates for a whatsapp call that used LTE.  After an hour on the phone with an AT&T rep who barely spoke english, I gave up.  Yesterday, I filed a complaint with the FCC and FTC.  It was very easy to do.  I received an immediate response from the FCC advising me that my complaint had been forwarded to AT&T and that they were required to respond within 30 days.  I advise everyone with this issue to do the same.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This is ridiculous. Happening with me every other year in my 12+ years association with ATT. I was told today that sometime the third party apps bypasses the international calling restrictions on ATT lines and use ATT service to make international call - FUNNY- I question the ATT security in that case - not customers' fault - To add to the frustration, ATT Tier 1 support staff is a nightmare. Always get into debate rather than a Q&A sessions without any intention from them to help identify the alternatives. Luckily the supervisors are at least good in listening and try to come up with solutions, thanks to them. To get to the supervisors is not that easy, will have to tolerate all the nonsense from tier 1 support and only after a good 2 hours back and forth and having to call ATT multiple times due to disconnecting calls, takes 2 hrs to get to the supervisors. 

ATT - DO something and show some integrity and professionalism towards customer!!!!

A frustrated, disappointing ATT customer over  12 years 🙂 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.