Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
J

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 30th, 2020 1:29 AM

What does it mean to "Upgrade a line on an existing account." in order to upgrade a device?

I am looking to upgrade to the new (2020) iPhone SE, 128GB. It says I can do so on the installment plan for $11.67 per month for 30 month, but in the "Price Details". Does this mean that my service plan, would change and become more costly?

Same question for the "Activate postpaid unlimited wireless service." requirement for the installment plan. Does this mean that my service plan, would change and become more costly?

I'm currently on a family plan, we share the data. I have an (original) iPhone SE.

Thanks!

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

4 years ago

Buying a new phone has zero effect on your service plan. The only difference is you will have those installments added onto your bill every month

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

Rumor has it Liz they make you change now

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

🤦🏼‍♀️. I can see forcing someone to change plans if they purchase a 5G phone and their plan is not 5G capable. Otherwise that would be very unusual on AT&T's part.
Off to read fine print. 😖
Edit
@GLIMMERMAN76 after reading the fine print I see nothing about adding a new line or changing your plan in order to purchase and you upgrade at the full retail price with installments. The original poster was reading the wrong promotion which was listed at the bottom of the sales page for the iPhone SE 2

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

4 years ago

Okay I did some reading on the sales page. You have the wrong phone at the wrong price. There is a special offer to purchase the iPhone 11 at half price $11.67. Like all 50% or free phone deals that requires new service and unlimited data.

The iPhone SE 2 is available for $13. 34, $15, or $18.34, depending on what storage capacity you select. It does not require that you change your plan because you are paying full retail price in installments

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/apple-iphone-se-2020-64gb-white.html

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@lizdance40 Like I said rumor has it. In the ops case I could see it being the wrong phone. And I don't put anything past the carriers after all this is over.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

I take all rumors with a grain of salt. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be forced off an old plan, unless they purchase a device which is incompatible.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

They can make any plan incompatible if they want. Once the iPhone 12 and if it has 5G launches you will see a ton of forced moves.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

WhAt was the resolution?  The $800 iPhone 12 deal has the same terms.  Add or upgrade an existing line.  

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

4 years ago

Read the fine print

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.