For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
IAmDaniel's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 12th, 2015 6:25 AM

USPS Lost NEXT Return Packages

I upgraded 2 iPhones at Apple Store on 10-17-2015
They were on the Next plan and so I was required to return them to AT&T.

At the time of purchase (Of the new phones at the Apple Store) I received 2 prepaid USPS shipping labels and was instructed to return the old phones via mail.

I received 2 text messages from AT&T in mid November stating that AT&T has not received the returned phone and I would be charged $299.60 for each of the 2 phones.

On 11/17/2015 I contacted AT&T to determine how to resolve the issue of the non-delivered returns. The Customer Service (CS) Rep confirmed that AT&T had not received the returned phones and acknowledged that the two tracking numbers showed the packages were in transit. The CS Rep the informed me that I would need to wait until the two charges of $299.60 show up on the next bill, then dispute them. The CS Rep indicated that she would annotate my account so that the next CS Rep I speak with would have all of the background information when I call back after December 4, the date my next bill would be issued.

On 12/2/2015 I received two charges on my account for $299.60 for non-returned phones.

On December 11, I contacted AT&T to request my account be credited for $299.60 for each of the two returned phones that AT&T indicates were not received. The CS rep asked for USPS tracking numbers that I previously provided AT&T on 11/17/2015. The CS Rep then advised that I would need to work with USPS in locating the two missing packages. I explained that I had already contacted my local USPS facility in and they (USPS) were not successful in locating the packages. The AT&T CS Rep then advised that I would need to contact USPS again and get them to provide a written acknowledgement that the packages were lost.

I explained to the AT&T CS Rep that it's not my responsibility to deal directly with USPS since I am the third party.

I then asked to speak with a manager within AT&T Customer Service. I explained the situation to the manager. He stated that I would need to ask USPS to email me a confirmation that the packages were lost by USPS. I explained to the AT&T manager that since I am the third party, my only responsibility is to ensure that the phone return packages are dropped off and accepted by USPS, and that it should be AT&Ts responsibility to follow up directly with their postal carrier that they contracted. I explained that if I was responsible for purchasing the return postage I would have used a different parcel service and insured the packages.

The AT&T Manager was unwilling to take a customer-friendly position and instead insisted that I, the Customer, spend the time dealing with AT&T's supplier (USPS/Newgistics). I have no leverage with USPS or Newgistics; I anticipate it will be difficult to get cooperation. Also I am traveling through the end of the month so it will be very difficult to find the time to deal with this.

Has it been this difficult for anyone else, or easier?  Has anyone had a similar situation with a positive outcome?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

GLIMMERMAN76: I am thle OP and this problem is not solved yet. It is not a Newgistics problem. It is a USPS problem. The return packages were never received by Newgistics.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Here is the conclusion to my story:  I contacted USPS via the 800 number to initiate a case.  The customer service person was very helpful.  She took my information along with the details about the lost packages and then provided me with a case number.  I then contacted AT&T and asked the Rep to review the notes logged in my account so I would not have to re-explain all of the details for the 10th time.  I then provided the AT&T rep with my case number.  He provided me with a corresponding AT&T case number and informed me that it would take 48-72 hours to investigate.  Within 3-days I then noticed a credit for $600.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for posting, I hope it helps someone else.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yup same thing happened to me in Octuber 2015 and at this point they say they have not received the return package yet. This is so frustrating and most frustrating this is that I had to pay the phone in full to avoid going to collection. =( I hope they refund me that money. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@gio1290

Have you used tracking to find the package through USPS or Newgistics?  (See previous posts)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

How can I find my tracking number if I lost it? Thanks for the help. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Thank you for the link for the tracking, that's so much better than the "Tendered to Returns Agent" message that shows when USPS hand it off. http://tracking.newgistics.com

I just sent a phone back and now I know it actually left USPS!  Maybe it is at it's destination, but I don't know since there was NOT an address on the shipping label (but at least I know AT&T's carrier has it and it's out of my hands).

@lizdance40 I have shipped hundreds of packages via USPS and never lost a package with their system (first, priority, media or ground but always with tracking) and never had a package not make it to the destination.  It's stuff I get rid of on eBay so it's all shapes and sizes: commemorative drinking glasses, computers, phones, comic books, rolled up posters and more only had one damaged problem I've had one problem (a poster box got smooshed, but it got to the destination) and that was it. 

FYI: Even though I print my shipping labels via eBay (it's cheaper), I like to go in and give it to a human so that I get my receipt to show I dropped it off. Then I photograph it so if I lose it, I still have a copy...

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Receipts. Always get them from the post office counter. Whenever a package is lost and shows no tracking information the receipt is all the proof needed to show the customer did their part.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

And reciepts disappear sometimes.  Take a photo of it with your phone too!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

I buy and sell on eBay all the time.  Mostly with no problems with the USPS.

I bought a phone last fall and the tracking kept showing it was moving slow, then stopped moving in a hub in Springfield after a few days the tracking read "destroyed in shipping". The seller only got the box top with address back.  We figure someone stole the phone. 

UPS delivered an Amazon package last week that was chewed up.  Fortunately the contents were not fragile and fine.

It happens, it's rare, but it really stinks if it happens to you when the contents are expensive.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.